Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,852,553 times

Advertisements

Im curious as to what everyone thinks should be done with this area.

The whole property is completely bulldozed and ready for whatever. The cities even made an attempt at beautification by putting flowers and lamp posts in the middle of Reynolds Rd. What do you envision here? Some new business development of some sort? Residential? A park?

I ask because im actually torn on the issue. Part of me wants to see a mixed use development that includes all of the above...but a rather negative part of me kind of doesnt care, because unless you can aquire all the other surrounding properties along the strip, or dictate a certain way that they need to physically restructure themselves...it doesnt seem like you can really turn this particular area into something truely great.

Even if we implemented some kind of high density mix of residential and commercial, I dont know what businesses would be vying to moving in. Like what smaller stores would make use of this. Im sure most of the popular american stores you find in the malls already have a strong enough presence in Toledo. Perhaps its just more realistic to hope for, at best, some big box stores, maybe some kind of home improvement store or walmart or something. Something that wont challenge the norm of development for that corridor?

Part of me thinks the Southwyck area doesnt really have potential to be anything but what it already is/was. I dont know. I dont particularly care if it rises to greatness again. But I hate to see it become a new ghetto some day. I care more about investing in smart solutions for the more inner city neighborhoods of Toledo, but theres no use in just neglecting the outskirts of town, and just rehabbing the core, otherwise downtown just becomes the happy trendy safe place, and the suburbs become the ghetto and thats not an acceptable outcome either.

Regardless. What do you think about Southwyck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 02:41 PM

285 posts, read 641,925 times
Someone on city council proposed urban farming on the piece of land where the Marina District was supposed to be built until the project gets under way. That could be a temporary option for Southwyck until the economy picks back up. It would be a shame if they rushed into a big project that doesn't end up drawing enough business because of the economy.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Someone on city council proposed urban farming on the piece of land where the Marina District was supposed to be built until the project gets under way. That could be a temporary option for Southwyck until the economy picks back up. It would be a shame if they rushed into a big project that doesn't end up drawing enough business because of the economy.

True.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM

227 posts, read 626,017 times
I would love to see an IKEA or something there... a new city park... just do SOMETHING. That area needs some help to stabilize. I am really annoyed with the condition of the hotel on the West side of Reynolds... boarded up.. broken windows... I hate to think people drive off the turnpike there and think that is what the rest of Toledo looks like.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
I would love to see an IKEA or something there... a new city park... just do SOMETHING. That area needs some help to stabilize. I am really annoyed with the condition of the hotel on the West side of Reynolds... boarded up.. broken windows... I hate to think people drive off the turnpike there and think that is what the rest of Toledo looks like.

The hotel on the East Side of Reynolds creeps me out. I dont know if its even a hotel. Last I knew the signs said Genesis Dreamplex. And thats sounds like a cult.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:22 AM

They (Church of God? I think it is Culp's congregation... I would not care to compare or contrast this congregation with a cult... they have a lot of critics though) purchased the now "Dreamplex" with the intention of making it a homeless shelter. Not too long ago they had a scandal because they weren't paying any of their taxes... the larger church organization bailed them out. There newest concept is to turn it into senior housing. The likelihood of this congregation actually executing any large scale endeavor seem pretty low.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansmith View Post
They (Church of God? I think it is Culp's congregation... I would not care to compare or contrast this congregation with a cult... they have a lot of critics though) purchased the now "Dreamplex"

Im not really religious but I am completely accepting of all religions, even rather eclectic denominations and sects. I could care less. Their building and name weirds me out. Just sayin. Anyway...

I kind of think Southwyck is just hopeless. Its on the fringe of the city proper. Nobodies trying to move into the outer areas of the City of Toledo like Reynolds Rd. Theres newer, more popular areas, pushing farther and farther out everyday. I have to think that even if something neat like an IKEA were to come to town they would most likely build it over in the Crossroads area in Perrysburg/Rossford, off Rt 20, 75, and the Turnpike. Nobody cares about outdated suburban areas. Everyones mostly trying to move outward to the super cool new edge suburb area, or theres a slowly increasing movement of people trying to get into the center of it all downtown, or other neighborhoods with more character. But the "first ring suburbs" are kind of the issue. I cant see much of a future for areas like this, besides to fall into disrepair and become the new ghetto. I doubt anyone around here has the vision to do something truely great with these areas. You would essentially need to acquire every property along the corridor, tear everything down and start from scratch and thats not likely anytime soon.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 AM

There has been a lot of interest in the site because of the population density and accessibility, but there has been a lot of drama not limited to the demolition of the old structure. IKEA tends to locate in suburban interstate-adjacent areas and Southwyck would likely not be their first choice.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
i still remember my first introduction to southwyck as a freshman at UT back in the fall of 1999. had been to franklin park before several times and seriously thought southwyck was similar. not sure why just assumed. got there and boy was i shocked. being from Lima we have or had two malls. one was the serious mall with the real stores and the other well.....was the dying mall with the value city as the major store haha. southwyck to me always had that "other mall" feel to it as soon as i set foot in it.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
southwyck to me always had that "other mall" feel to it as soon as i set foot in it.

I dislike the very existance of malls....but as far as they go....I always had some affinity for Southwyck. I never cared about the stores there because through most of my lifetime (90s) the malls been dying and all the actions at Franklin Park, but I always though Southwyck was cooler looking inside. The center atrium was neat with the steps down to the fountains and the carousel.

But now im an urban planning nazi and hate malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo