Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 24,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopsidedfrock View Post
The neighborhood is near UTMC and St. V's hospital, where your husband will probably spend some time.
Just as a public service announcement I want to offer a friendly correction to what Lopsided wrote:

The neighborhood is near the TOLEDO HOSPITAL, not St. V's.

While your husband may, indeed, be spending time at St. V's, as it competes w/ Toledo Hospital as the largest medical center in the region, you definitely do not want to live too close.

As I said in my post upthread, the only place I'd live NEAR St. V's would be Downtown, and even there in a select few properties, including LaSalle, Sunflower Building, Oliver House, and River West.

Old Orchard is a wonderful neighborhood, BTW. And it's also very near the UT Main Campus, just in case you were ever interested in furthering your education there.

Toledo is not really a "destination" for very many reasons, but you've found one. You really can make the most of it, though. It has quite a few hidden gems and what it doesn't have you can find in the rich array of nearby cities. Bowling Green 20 mins south is the quintessential college town; Ann Arbor is 45 mins away and offers a lot to 20somethings; Columbus is 2 hours away and as the largest city in Ohio and, of course, Ohio State, it too has a lot to offer.

And with Chicago only 5 hours away you have easy car access to a truly world-class city.

In the summer, you can travel to Put-In-Bay, it's an island in Lake Erie in a Toledo Exurb and it's basically like a giant party that covers an entire Island. Also in that direction is Cedar Point, definitely a best-of-breed amusement park. If you like coasters, it's unmatched the world over in terms of quantity and quality.

There is a great system of Metro Parks, large reserves of forest and wildlife, scattered throughout the metro area. They have trails, fishing ponds, recreation fields, paddle boats, pavilions, etc.

Anyway, more than you asked, just thought I'd give you a good place to start!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM

8 posts, read 63,935 times
what i meant when i said that old orchard is near UTMC and St V's is that the neighborhood is a happy medium, not necessarily directly in between the two, but close to both. yes, old orchard is closer to toledo hospital. i know that most residents at st v's and ut rotate at both locations. not too sure about those at toledo hospital.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,868 times
Do not, I repeat do not rent the Cloisters. It's very bad (drug dealings, cops, vandalism, theft) I'm surprised it is not an official section 8 yet. If its quiet you want, you will be extremely disappointed there.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,150 times
You should also try Riverfront Apts. They have recently been updated, they are right on the river with great views, and they also have a store in the building if you need it for shopping. They are connected to the skywalk system also so there is no need to walk outside in the winter. I was shocked at how nice they were when I saw them considering they are in a very old historic building. Oh and there is attached parking if you needed to know.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,048 times
If you want to live in a nice safe area you will forget all the apartments with a Toledo address and look at things in the suburbs; Sylvania, Maumee, Perrysburg, etc. MCO is not in a desirable part of town in which to live. You will have to drive a little further living in the suburbs but at least your car will probably remain safe so you CAN drive it to work or school. Seriously, I would not stay in any of the apartments on your list.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,000 times
Hunters Ridge is not the place to go. I live there now and have had my door kicked in twice and my neighbor has been robbed twice. They were very nice when i first moved in almost 3 years ago, but are going downhill and I mean quick. I would choose the cloisters, thats where im headed in a couple weeks.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:01 AM

652 posts, read 2,711,262 times
I've been to the LaSalle and they are really nice on the inside, have underground parking, and are in a nice walkable neighborhood, have high ceilings and huge windows, a rooftop deck, etc - If I still lived in Toledo that would be my first choice.

When I did live in Toledo I lived in suburban apartment "complexes" and they were highly unsatisfactory, the build quality was bad, I could hear neighbors in every direction, I couldn't walk or bike anywhere, road noise was everpresent, etc.

I think if you tour the LaSalle (or any of the other renovated lofts downtown) you will be sold in a second.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
If you want to live in a nice safe area you will forget all the apartments with a Toledo address and look at things in the suburbs; Sylvania, Maumee, Perrysburg, etc. MCO is not in a desirable part of town in which to live. You will have to drive a little further living in the suburbs but at least your car will probably remain safe so you CAN drive it to work or school. Seriously, I would not stay in any of the apartments on your list.
My girlfriend used to live in Perrysburg and the city taxes there were very high, plus to do anything (Mud Hens, Walleyes, entertainment, night life) you have to drive really far. Also, Perrysburg is not as safe as people say, my truck got vandalized while parked right outside of her apartment at Perry's Crossing (tire slashed).

Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaci View Post
LaSalle apartments are downtown. There is nothing down there as far as grocery store, Target, etc. It is also not close to campus.
No matter where you live in Toledo you're going to have to drive to get to a Target. Living in the 'burbs is the definition of being "car-dependent" - the 'burbs doesn't really lend itself well to walking/biking/public transit. At least if you live downtown you are in a real community and you can walk to many places - restaurants, bars, corner shops, coffee stores, entertainment, baseball/hockey games, fireworks shows, etc.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times
Default Cloisters

oh no..don't move there...I've lived there since 2003...it was fine but that neighborhood is going downhill fast too...if you have to live there, request by the railroad tracks...it is noisy but a little safer. I am going to try Valley Stream that is in Maumee, but sort of nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo