Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I don't know if there's been a thread like this before, and I apologize if there has.

Next Summer I may have a potential job opportunity in Toronto. I currently live in the Cleveland area of Ohio.

Basically, I just want to know from any American who has moved to Toronto, simply your overall opinion on living in Toronto. Why did you move to Toronto? What do you like and dislike about Toronto? Do you regret your decision? Would you recommend others moving there if the opportunity arose?.....or any other opinions or comments you'd like to share, please go ahead..it'd be greatly appreciated!!

I haven't been up to Toronto yet, however I'm planning a trip up in the Spring. I don't want to get into detail of who I am and what I like right now (as that would help people decide if Toronto is right for me), as I just strictly want to get opinions from people on their experiences with Toronto and such first.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Led

145 posts, read 423,310 times
One thing I have to suggest is come down and live in the city for at least a couple weeks before you plan on moving. This city's better than any US city at the moment in terms of growth, both population-wise and business-wise. It's on the same lines as Atlanta, Phoenix, and Houston are but on a grander scale. Although taxes are high, you get back a lot for what you pay for in the likes of safe neighborhoods (Toronto has about 40 murders per year compared to 500 in Chicago), more organized health care, quality of life, and cost of living. This city's so great that citizen's are actually flocking from the suburbs to the city, rather than the other way around. This explains the explosive growth of condo's in the downtown area. Toronto's just the place to be for anyone up and coming in the business world. If you have the ability to get out of Cleveland (and with all do respect), I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm planning on moving from NYC to Toronto myself. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,227 times
Led, now I dont want to burst your bubble, but I dont understand where you are getting your facts from.

Population has grown by 2.3%, Labour force by 1.8% but the employment rate has dropped by 0.2% with the unemployment rate only dropping by .3% (Labour force characteristics, unadjusted, by census metropolitan area (3 month moving average)) Year over Year.

I dont see this Boom that you refer to, there are quite a few US Markets that are growing an an equal or greater pace.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,285 times
Guide for Moving to Toronto, Ontario

Old 08-05-2010, 05:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,252 times
Anybody want to add anything? I thought I'd get more responses than this. Hmmm.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Anybody want to add anything? I thought I'd get more responses than this. Hmmm.

Well, as you mentioned, there are other, similar threads where people have discussed their opinions already, so they may not feel inclined to restate them here.

Also, you asked the opinion of Americans moving to Canada. A lot of people who visit this forum are not from the US, so they wouldn't express their opinion.

Those two may help explain the few responses. Other than that, I think your original post had specific questions, which is good, so that people know exactly what is being discussed. In this case, the post just didn't generate many responses, maybe partly because of the reasons above.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:16 AM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
Take the job! Toronto is a really nice city, its similar to NYC, but much cleaner. I just moved from Florida to London, Ontario and have no regrets.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock67 View Post
Take the job! Toronto is a really nice city, its similar to NYC, but much cleaner. I just moved from Florida to London, Ontario and have no regrets.
Let's see if you still feel that way in January.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM

207 posts, read 926,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Let's see if you still feel that way in January.
I will cross that bridge when I get there, but for now the summer here is more enjoyable than Florida.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:51 PM

425 posts, read 958,674 times
I'm another New Yorker considering relocating, I have been researching several spots in and out of the states, and as great as Montreal is, I'm not sure how livingthere would be without a strong grasp of French.

So I'll give Toronto a good long look, Blue Jays are looking good and being a sports guy, thats a plus as I enjoy seeing live sports when I can, seeing the Leafs in person is going to be a tough ticket I'm sure.

If I decide to go through with it, I'll follow up on these boards and let any other people from the States my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto