Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,785 times

Advertisements

I'm a 19 years old Media Student raised (and living) in Spain, and I'm planning to stay here until I finish my Degree, but I'd like to move out of the country right after that. I'm considering a lot of places, and I still have two years to think this properly, but I just found this forum and thought about asking.

The thing is, I spent a month improving my English in Toronto this summer, and I totally fell in love with the city and the people I met and everything, but I'm aware that it's not the same to visit a city than to live in it. I met a Spanish guy who'd been there for two years (doing the same thing I want to do) and he was very happy about it, but I wanted to ask some Torontonians/other people

The thing is, I'd like to have an idea of how difficult would it be for a 21-22 years old spanish girl with a Media Degree to make it in Toronto. Would my Degree be valued in Canada? How about the health care, how does it work (in Spain we have public health care)? How about the living? How expensive are the rents? And would I stand any chance to make it in my own career field in Toronto?

If you have any suggestion or any other thing you think I should know, it'd be amazing to read it.

Thanks a lot, really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 PM

21 posts, read 185,069 times
I believe your degree would be valued highly. Canada, and specifically Toronto, welcomes skilled immigrants that can contribute to it's international flavour. That said, you may want to check into the immigration/work visa requirements for someone like yourself. I have no idea what they are for somebody from Spain, so I can't comment one way or another if it's easy for you or not.

Being the centre of the Canadian media, Toronto would have considerably more opportunities than other cities for careers in media. There are plenty of opportunities in Toronto for ambitious people, but it is a highly competitive environment in most fields (like any major city).

I can't comment on rents in the city, as I am only familiar with the suburbs.

As for healthcare, Canada has public healthcare as well and most employers will provide secondary insurance for things like prescriptions and/or dental.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM

5,899 posts, read 6,104,862 times
I'm not entirely familiar with the immigration process and when you'd qualify for health care, but basically not everything is free. Family doctor, eye-care, dental care, physiotherapist, crutches, ambulance are not covered by public healthcare. If you're going to the hospital, the care you get there is free. Wait times can be kind of long but maybe it's like that elsewhere too. Rent for a 1 bedroom appartment might be around $800-1000/mo. I think meat is cheaper than in most of Europe, as is gas, but maybe not other food. I don't think public transit is as good as in Spain.

However, I'm not sure you would qualify for immigration. Since I'm guessing you won't have much professional job experience, don't have family or a spouse in Canada, don't have a job offer in Canada which makes it difficult. But actually your English seems very good (at least written) so that would help as would your degree.

Use this to get an idea of where you stand:
Canadian Immigration and Visas | Canadian Immigration Points Calculator

Old 01-25-2011, 09:13 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,579 times
The family doctor is NOT covered under the regular "free" health care? Is that correct?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 AM

325 posts, read 1,036,443 times
Seeing a doctor (if you can find one admitting new patients) is covered. However, any prescriptions issued are not.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,000 times
Great coincidence...I plan on doing the same thing. I currently live in Malta and consider moving to Toronto with a degree in accountancy once I've completed it. After having been to Toronto a few times already and many other North American cities, I just think Toronto has it all. I'm just hoping I could find a job and that my degree is appropriate for Canada..

Are there a lot of Europeans in Toronto? It certainly is comforting being around people who went through it just as you did.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 PM

71 posts, read 348,295 times
M.M.1989 I can't believe you want to leave an island paradise surrounded by an enormous amount of history and beauty, surrounded by Mediterranean beach boardwalks, very close to the rest of Europe, for a stuffy city with little culture, and any combination of indifferent, reserved, awkward and cold but generally polite people, and garbage weather (it is -10 now...feels like -20 with the windchill...vs 10°C in Malta).

Maybe you should check with a job agency. I think there are companies in central Toronto in accounting-type fields that seem to lean to those trying to get a start in Canada and have reasonably related education. I don`t know which agency they usually come in from though. What might be a problem is that a starting salary might be about CAD35K if you're lucky (I can't say definitively, I'm not an expert)--take away about 30% for taxes and that's what you have to live on (I know that would probably be considered a great salary in Malta?). But it is probably great to get your foot in the door and get Canadian experience I guess.

You will find there is really no slow period here...not sure but I think it slows down considerably in Malta in August? Like Ferragosto? That doesn't exist here. Typically jobs allow 2-weeks vacation for your first 3 years and increase slightly after that...though an individual may bargain for more. It is not out of the ordinary for Americans or Canadians to take little or no vacation for years on end.

Regarding how many Europeans are here, you can browse the statscan site for info. In Toronto there are about 17k of Maltese ethnic origin, double that in all of Canada... however I find that for a few ethnic groups only 15-20% actually speak the language. There is a "Little Malta" in Toronto but it might be a bit of a joke, just like certain "Little Italy's" that are full of South Americans and Indians--but might come alive with Italians on weekends.

http://tinyurl.com/4srg24n (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto