Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 AM

23 posts, read 50,147 times

Advertisements

Heya guys,

I have been researching Toronto quite a bit as I am looking into getting a 'working visa' which would allow me to live in Toronto for 2 years (or more - it is renewable after that) and am just trying to find good downtown neighbourhoods and I would love all your suggestions.

I currently live in suburban Perth in Australia and want to live in a 'happening' city. I want to be able to get to restaurants, bars, shops by WALKING or taking easy public transport. I will not have a car in Canada, so this is important. Suburban living is NOT for me and I'd love to live in a row-house, town house or small apartment building. After looking online & Google Street View-ing, I like the look of Trinity Bellwoods and Brockton Village. Anybody have any opinion on these two or any other neighbourhoods that are similar and close to the 'action'? Also, what are some good sites to look for room rentals?

I am of Croatian and Irish descent and have grown up in an area with a high number of Croatian & Italian families so which areas in downtown Toronto have a high % of Mediterranean and/or Eastern European peoples.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

61 posts, read 194,823 times
They are sort of Hipster areas, at least Trinity Bellwoods is. Brockton is probably a bit sketchy/dodgy.

Thing about living there is that there is a streetcar, but it is brutal to get on to go downtown. Always full in the morning.

If you are single, The Annex is on the subway line and is a university crowd. I moved to Bloor West Village/High Park myself when I moved to Toronto 10 years ago and loved it. You had High Park, The Junction, Roncessvailles and Bloor West Village all close by. And you are on the Bloor subway.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:00 PM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
Brockton's not sketchy, it's just a little run down and not completely gentrified. Ethnic (Brockton's traditionally Portuguese/Brazilian/Italian) neighbourhoods in Toronto are incredibly safe at all hours, they're self-policed. I lived in Little Portugal/Brockton for years but I wouldn't recommend the area for a first place in Toronto. It's a little too far from downtown.

Annex (there's a slight Aussie/NZ community based around here... slight, however), Yonge/Eglinton (north of downtown, but with subway access) are good bets. Lots of people crap all over Y/E, but it's one of the most central locations in the city. Because you're close to the northern ends of Toronto (which can be a pain to get to from downtown), your nightlife options open up tremendously and you're still only about 20 minutes away from the action downtown. Most of the housing stock is on quiet side streets, which you'll need as the neighbourhood is fairly active 24/7 and loaded with amenities. It's nicknamed Young and Eligible because of the number of young professionals that live in the area, but you'll soon find out that it's a nice mix of working class, upper class, families, and students. It's safe at all times, except robbery is a bit of a concern on side streets really, really, really late at night on weekends. I've been out and about at all hours, side streets, main roads, never had a problem. As mentioned, it's one of the more active areas 24/7 (within a block or two of Yonge/Eglinton intersection in all directions are about a dozen establishments that never close, including coffee shops and grocery stores and pharmacies).

Last edited by illcosby; 07-11-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I always thought The Annex looked too residential - is there a lot of things going on around there? Also, is it expensive to live there?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
There is really not so much "action" in Toronto to start with, and in order to be close to it, you are essentially confining yourself to a pretty small area.

Downtown Toronto in theory is not small in North American standard, but the "actions" are in limited areas, basically near Yonge st, along King St, Queen west, Spadina Ave (south of college), College st (west of Spadina to little Italy), Bloor west. The waterfront can be busy in the summer and is pretty much dead zone in winter. That's pretty much it.

Outside this area, this big city is pretty much residential suburbs.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_bre View Post
Thanks for the replies. I always thought The Annex looked too residential - is there a lot of things going on around there? Also, is it expensive to live there?
Annex IS very residential. There is commercial activity ONLY on Bloor st. 50 meters away from Bloor, it is 100% residential.

Toronto is like this. outside downtown, you have to be very close to Yonge st to witness any "actions". 50 meters east or west of it, you are pretty much in the suburbs seeing nothing but rows of two story houses.

If you want to be in the middle of more life, you need to live south of Dundas st, and between Church st and Bathurst st. Otherwise, you will have one commercial st and everything else is residential, just like the Annex.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:53 PM

Well I'm sure there is a lot more action in Toronto than Perth...Toronto doesn't get the reputation of cosmopolitan, vibrant etc out of nowhere.

How is Little Italy. I don't need to walk out of my door and into a pub, but within walking distance i'd like activities. Also, how about the East side of the city? Any neighbourhoods there worth mentioning?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
Toronto has plenty of vibrant neighbourhoods that are bustling with activity day and night. Little Italy is one of them, and a very desirable area to live in. The East side has Greektown along the Danforth, Chinatown East and Little India on Gerrard and Leslieville and The Beach on Queen East. All of these neighbourhoods are far from "suburban" and are quite dense and walkable and well served by public transit.

Toronto is as great city with more than enough "action" to keep most reasonably normal people very satisfied.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto has plenty of vibrant neighbourhoods that are bustling with activity day and night. Little Italy is one of them, and a very desirable area to live in. The East side has Greektown along the Danforth, Chinatown East and Little India on Gerrard and Leslieville and The Beach on Queen East. All of these neighbourhoods are far from "suburban" and are quite dense and walkable and well served by public transit.

Toronto is as great city with more than enough "action" to keep most reasonably normal people very satisfied.
The thing is, whether the action can keep people "satisfied" really depends on to whom.

Most people would agree that the Annex is a lot more vibrant/busier than little Italy, Chinatown East (by far), Little India, Leslieville (pretty suburban in nature) and the Beaches (pretty quiet, esp in non-summer seasons), and maybe at part with the Danforth (like the Annex, 3 minutes away from Danforth Ave, you are in a sea of single family houses and apartments with zero "action").

The OP already found Annex very residential (which I agree with) and we need to base our judgement on this. I don't think those neighbourhoods you mentioned above will impress him/her at all. They are nice and probably feel "vibrant" for many people but won't cut it for others, as they are, primarily residential.

Areas that can beat the Annex in terms of street life that I can recommend are probably St Lawrence Market, Church-Wellesley Village, Entertainment district, Yorkville and downtown Yonge. Outside these options, Toronto's commercial activities are very linear - everything is on one main street and there is nothing but private residence away from it - this is a typical feature of the suburb.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times
You can't judge the "action" or feel of a neighbourhood by looking at it on google streetview. You have to come and see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto