Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times

Advertisements

As far as I can tell the problem, as in the U.S. is Gangs and the drug trade---both of which are astoundingly difficult, maybe impossible, to control. So then what? Gun control? I thought Canada already had that.

It's not like your average mr & mrs America or Canada is running around shooting people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,132,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
If you think this will register with 99% of the people on this board you are wrong.

They will surely spin it and say "Well, well, in Chicago theres tons of people murdered" or "At least it isn't as bad as the States"

Like any of that brings comfort to the people who lost family member or were wounded themselves. I personally think this is terrible and something needs to be done to address these issues.

Just keep in mind what Toronto Police Chief Blair said “I’ve been a cop for 35 years and this is the worst incident of gun violence in my memory anywhere in North America,” That should make everyone think and admit there may be a problem.

What the hell? How short a memory does this man have? Just last month over one weekend in chicago there 8 ppl dead and 46 wounded. The month before that 11 ppl were dead over the weekend. I almost certainly assume he's discounting mexico from north america as well.

Either way i agree just comparing toronto to american cities is ofetn misleading, however comparing toronto to other canadian cities especially out west like Edmonton, winipeg, even vancouver toronto's violent crime rate is quite low.

The difference is that toronto as the base for the majority of canada's media outlets gets a lot more attention when these incidents happen as opposed to out west.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:13 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,294,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
What the hell? How short a memory does this man have? Just last month over one weekend in chicago there 8 ppl dead and 46 wounded. The month before that 11 ppl were dead over the weekend. I almost certainly assume he's discounting mexico from north america as well.

Either way i agree just comparing toronto to american cities is ofetn misleading, however comparing toronto to other canadian cities especially out west like Edmonton, winipeg, even vancouver toronto's violent crime rate is quite low.

The difference is that toronto as the base for the majority of canada's media outlets gets a lot more attention when these incidents happen as opposed to out west.
I believe he is speaking about one incident rather than cumulative. Either way, the point is not whether his statement was correct or not (It obviously isnt for the record) but rather that a man who has dedicated his life to Law Enforcement and obviously been exposed to the worst of society would be visibly shaken up over an incident like this. So if it has this type of effect on him, should we not feel similarly?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:38 AM

455 posts, read 1,132,345 times
We should feel sympathy for the victims and not stand for this kind of event. However statements such as that just add to the media hyperbole/fear mongering, especially coming from someone as respected as the chief of police.

I have not actually seen him say that so i'm taking that posters quote at face value.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:56 AM

Here is a "play by play" of the shooting. These kids involved in this lifestyle are getting more and more ridiculous, stupid and disgusting by the year.

BitchslappedByLogic comments on Breaking news: 11 People shot at house party(morningside and Lawrence) 2 without vital

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 AM

271 posts, read 532,467 times
I'm not going to lie and say that this really affects me, because it doesn't. Make better decisions.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
I'm not going to lie and say that this really affects me, because it doesn't. Make better decisions.
Respect you honesty.

I'm curious though what bad decisions the two young people who lost their lives made? By all accounts the Young Lady was a solid student who was involved in extra curricular activities like dance and had no gang ties. The young man was a small business owner, who volunteered his time to mentor at risk youth and coached basketball in community centers around the city. Also had no gang ties or criminal record.

Doesnt sound like two people who were living a reckless lifestyle.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM

271 posts, read 532,467 times
I can't separate the typical song and dance from reality any more.

Every black kid that gets shot dead was "turning his life around", "volunteering with at-risk youth", and "had no gang ties". That might very well be true, but they still find themselves on the losing end of conflicts with people who aren't turning their lives around, aren't volunteering with at-risk youth, and do have gang ties. Why? I can't just take a marker and claim all these instances as wrong place, wrong time.

What is reality, at least to me, is that 200 people showed up to a block party on a weeknight, it was expected that there would be problems, and there obviously was enough illegal activity going on to prevent the host/party thrower from going to the police to express concerns. That just doesn't happen elsewhere in the city, where people make responsible decisions and don't think about partying with their toddlers when they have to get up to go to work the next morning. It's like responsibility is not being taken seriously.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Even if we accept the dubious and incredibly insensitive argument that the victims were just black people looking for trouble or hanging out with the wrong crowd, eventually as this stuff gets more and more out of control, it will on occasion spill over into the world of ''people like you'' (using this term cautiously).

Remember Jane Creba?

Remember the Eaton Centre a few months or weeks ago?

Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What smart moves?
The United States of America has never made any smart moves as a country? I thought your opinion was that the US was the best?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto