Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Talking about parenting, its interesting what the black gentleman(himself a vicitm of violence) at the end of this video has to say. I have to say i agree with him.

Gang culture - News - CBC Player
Good video, thanks for posting. But UrbanLuis how exactly would you go about holding the parents accountable for their children's actions? Seems almost impossible to prove don't you think? Plus as I refereed to above, just because one of your children chooses to live this lifestyle, it does not instantly mean you are a negligent parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 11:20 AM

271 posts, read 532,364 times
The thing I really, really don't understand is that blacks in Canada, specifically Toronto, haven't existed in the country for 200+ terrible, enslaved, opportunity-deprived years. Most came here during the post-WWII boom from the West Indies and Africa. The institutionalized racism defense just doesn't work when it comes to Toronto or Canada when every ethnic group, except one, can claim widespread success.

Think of the immigrant populations that arrived at this time as well, many from equally oppressing places as Jamaica or Nigeria. Portuguese, Chinese, Koreans, Indians, people from Arab states, Vietnamese, Greeks, Italians... all of these ethnic groups are successful in the city. No one here gives a flying fart what your skin colour is. Take away athletics and rap music, and the black community in TO has been non-existent and unsuccessful and seems to be parroting cultural trends from African Americans, who have a much different, much more tragic existence. At this point, slumming it out in Galloway is just as much a personal choice as it is a lack of opportunity. You should see some of the places Indian immigrants live in Brampton, fifteen to an apartment just to get by. But they don't sell drugs, go to school, and don't kill each other. Perhaps that's because their culture isn't a destructive void and they don't equate joining the human race to "acting white".

Old 07-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
The thing I really, really don't understand is that blacks in Canada, specifically Toronto, haven't existed in the country for 200+ terrible, enslaved, opportunity-deprived years. Most came here during the post-WWII boom from the West Indies and Africa. The institutionalized racism defense just doesn't work when it comes to Toronto or Canada when every ethnic group, except one, can claim widespread success.

Think of the immigrant populations that arrived at this time as well, many from equally oppressing places as Jamaica or Nigeria. Portuguese, Chinese, Koreans, Indians, people from Arab states, Vietnamese, Greeks, Italians... all of these ethnic groups are successful in the city. No one here gives a flying fart what your skin colour is. Take away athletics and rap music, and the black community in TO has been non-existent and unsuccessful and seems to be parroting cultural trends from African Americans, who have a much different, much more tragic existence. At this point, slumming it out in Galloway is just as much a personal choice as it is a lack of opportunity. You should see some of the places Indian immigrants live in Brampton, fifteen to an apartment just to get by. But they don't sell drugs, go to school, and don't kill each other. Perhaps that's because their culture isn't a destructive void.
So if you totally discredit the racism argument then you have to come to the conclusion that blacks are inherently predisposed to violence and lack any motivation to succeed? Is that what you are implying?

Why is it that Black Immigrants to the US perform so well in comparison to Native born blacks? Did the US get all the "Good ones" and the scraps were sent to Canada? How do you answer that?

Old 07-19-2012, 11:42 AM

You can't convince anyone that racism towards the black community in a white man's world is the main roadblock to success when non-whites are extremely successful here. What are Indians, Arabs, or Koreans doing that is so different? It just does not compute on any level.

I don't think black people are predisposed to violence, that's silly, but I think dominant black culture is predisposed to violence and obsessed with many of the worst aspects of humanity, as evidenced by the majority of crime committed by a minority of residents who all abide to the same dominant culture. I'm not suggesting that everything gets white washed, but putting a mirror up to a community that equates getting a job with "acting white" or being an "Oreo" is a start. And still, no one's touching on the root problem here: massive block party, on a weeknight, teeming with toddlers, knew there was going to be trouble, no one called the police to give them a head's up, and now no one's talking to the police after the fact. If this happened in a white neighbourhood, with this being the dominant white culture at the time, I'd say the problem was cultural too.

RE: Black immigrants to the US. We've touched on this briefly before, but I really think that has to do with the size of the professional black community. It's much larger, so there's more opportunity. If there are any Chinese people in Alabama, for example, I'm sure they'd have a more difficult time establishing lasting business connections than they would in San Francisco.

Last edited by illcosby; 07-19-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
You can't convince anyone that racism towards the black community in a white man's world is the main roadblock to success when non-whites are extremely successful here. What are Indians, Arabs, or Koreans doing that is so different? It just does not compute on any level.

I don't think black people are predisposed to violence, that's silly, but I think dominant black culture is predisposed to violence and obsessed with many of the worst aspects of humanity, as evidenced by the majority of crime committed by a minority of residents who all abide to the same dominant culture. I'm not suggesting that everything gets white washed, but putting a mirror up to a community that equates getting a job with "acting white" or being an "Oreo" is a start. And still, no one's touching on the root problem here: massive block party, on a weeknight, teeming with toddlers, knew there was going to be trouble, no one called the police to give them a head's up, and now no one's talking to the police after the fact. If this happened in a white neighbourhood, with this being the dominant white culture at the time, I'd say the problem was cultural too.

RE: Black immigrants to the US. We've touched on this briefly before, but I really think that has to do with the size of the professional black community. It's much larger, so there's more opportunity. If there are any Chinese people in Alabama, for example, I'm sure they'd have a more difficult time establishing lasting business connections than they would in San Francisco.
Look around the globe illcosby and examine the countries that are considered Third World or among the poorest. Do you see a connection? Many of them are predominantly Black. Then now look at wealthy developed nations, how many of those are predominantly black? So if the source of Canada's black community is immigration, would it not be fair to assume that black immigrants come to Canada with less than other countries immigrants? No one is saying these other immigrant groups do not have to go through trials and tribulations, but on balance they do not come with as little as Black immigrants.

Would you not say that may play a role?

Also I would like to point out again that the black community is educating their children at a higher rate currently than whites in Canada. So why is it that the unemployment rate is still higher in the black community? And just to make a point, why are those white parents not pulling their weight and sending their kids to University? Are they negligent now too?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Look around the globe illcosby and examine the countries that are considered Third World or among the poorest. Do you see a connection? Many of them are predominantly Black. Then now look at wealthy developed nations, how many of those are predominantly black? So if the source of Canada's black community is immigration, would it not be fair to assume that black immigrants come to Canada with less than other countries immigrants? No one is saying these other immigrant groups do not have to go through trials and tribulations, but on balance they do not come with as little as Black immigrants.

Would you not say that may play a role?
I've read some of your other posts, specifically regarding Jamaica/Jamaican immigrants, and you argue the opposite: that the cultural trends are picked up in Canada since the kids that come here are young and/or their parents are Jamaican and the kids are native born. So, which is it?

To answer your question, though, maybe, maybe not. Where you were born definitely affects you. I think it should be assumed that immigrants come here (particularly during 1950-1980ish) with very little and that they're leaving a pretty messed up place. If you fled your homeland, chances are you had it pretty bad. Remember, post-WW2 Europe, where the bulk of immigration came from, was a mess.

My dad came here during the civil war in Greece, which left 60K dead shortly after the Nazi/Italian occupation killed tens of thousands more and decimated the infrastructure. My grandfather was in the military and he was killed at a roadblock. My dad lived in a cave with his pregnant mother for several months, fleeing soldiers, and eating bugs and whatever vegetation villagers could find that wasn't firebombed. My uncle was born in that cave. They had less than nothing when they arrived, because what they had was torched by soldiers. My dad has struggled, for the most part, in Canada. My uncle has been highly, highly successful.

My mom came here escaping a dictator who imprisoned members of her family for speaking out against the regime. She wasn't allowed to go to school. She too, was homeless for a while since no one would take her in for fear of prosecution. She doesn't have a formal education, but my mom has been very successful in Canada.

It's a bit of a futile exercise to whip it out and compare who has it worse, but I think we can both agree that any immigrant from a developing/war torn place has it better here. You really are responsible for your own destiny if you're able to get out of a terrible situation and into one that's neutral or whatever you choose to make of it.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Also I would like to point out again that the black community is educating their children at a higher rate currently than whites in Canada. So why is it that the unemployment rate is still higher in the black community? And just to make a point, why are those white parents not pulling their weight and sending their kids to University? Are they negligent now too?
Interesting, haven't come across this. Do you have a link to that study? I'd like to see it.

Last edited by illcosby; 07-19-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Interesting, haven't come across this. Do you have a link to that study? I'd like to see it.
http://www.yorku.ca/pathways/literat....june.2008.pdf

Also refer to post #38 in this thread for two additional links.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:46 PM

I don't see anything about black Canadians in that report... the appendix that describes how the study interprets Africa doesn't include black Canadians and the Caribbean is grouped into Americas.

All this shows me is that African immigrants are heavy into education, but I already knew this (and African attitudes towards education are much different than AA attitudes towards education). This report isn't specific enough. It's a big honking study though and perhaps I missed it.

RE: unemployment study... Simply saying black Canadian unemployment rates are high doesn't really mean anything. My formal education level falls within the bottom ten percent of all Canadians and I've never been unemployed for more than a week and I've never made minimum wage. There are jobs available, but the thing is, you have to want them. I don't think the shooter in this particular case shot up a block party (going to mention again, since it keeps getting ignored, that it was on a weeknight) because he couldn't find his favourite socks to take to a job interview. No, someone "disrespected" him by not letting him go to a party. You can stick a factory right next door and give the shooter a job, but if that block party still goes on and he still gets turned away, he's still conditioned to fume at being "disrespected". That's a cultural problem and that has nothing to do with a job.

Last edited by illcosby; 07-19-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
As of today, 4 dead in four days.

I am going to ask anyone who surmises that unique approaches to this rather isolated area of crime be labelled racist or discriminatory without offering any alternative methods to help us out here. What type of policing would you deem to fit into todays "politicly correct" climate of oxymoronic situations. 95% of gun crimes are comitted by ...... upon.......but police are not allowed to profile those .......!

While traditional and pointless expressions of outrage are pouring in from many talking heads the Attourney General of Ontario's knee jerk, bullcrap reaction is to declare "we must ban handguns". The idiocy is mind numbing. Where is this idiot coming from that it's quite all right to foment a gang with all of it's illegal behaviours and Tweet, twitter, blog about it on the internet but we gotta ban something that is already regulated up the ying-yang for legal users.

Handguns are THE most strictly regulated item within Canada and to own one legally you must comply with some serious paperwork. To carry one in public legally, that paperwork and certified training assumes the depth and breadth of the Atlantic Ocean. Of course banning them outright will immediately bring the handgun crimes committed by those individuals who don't even attempt to bother with those regulations to a screeching halt and we'll all be much safer. What a moronic offering.

We have allowed this political correctness to pervade every aspect of good policing to the point that we might as well declare some areas of Toronto as "no-go" zones.

Can't profile as that would be racist; but nearly every single individual interviewed on camera after this terrible event spoke with a distinct Jamaican "patois" and nearly every one of them accused the police of not doing their job while at the same time stating irrevocably when asked if they knew anything about the possible shooters: "are you nuts? I don't want to get involved".

I have more questions than answers: why do these cretins immigrate from their country supposedly for a better life and immediately cluster to build a god damn ghetto? Why do the supposedly hard working, law abiding ones not move the hell on out of there if they're not going to take a pro-active part in cleaning up THEIR neighbourhoods?

Block parties! Excuse me but if you have a reasonable expectation that a party you are throwing with unlimited booze and drugs WILL turn violent why the hell scream about the results you expected coming to fruition after the fact? for the police to do what these idiots demand of them it would require them to sit 24/7 on the front stoops of these damn tenement buildings with shotguns across their laps and we all know how that would go over don't we?

Racism, Bitgoted, Pigs, Discriminatory are all buzzwords that would be tossed around willy-nilly at the first attempts by any cops to bring these thugs to their knees. Apparently no one remembers cops got dinged heavily for pulling over cars with black youth in them during early morning hours without "probably cause" just a few short years ago during another period of mischief and high crime involving a particular racial spectrum resulting in all night dance venues having patrons shot either inside or in the parking lots.

If these people are serious about giving cops the wherewithall to perform a modicum of preventative policing instead of just picking up the spent shell casing afterwards then give them the right to jack these a**h***s up and be damned about individual rights and liberties UNTIL you have a liberated neighbourhood to enjoy! You can't continue screaming "do something" but with the very next breath cry "but don't inconvenience me".

Rant over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto