Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 AM

300 posts, read 763,734 times

Advertisements

We were thinking of spending our american Thanksgiving in Toronto (Nov22)thursday I know in Canada they celebrate Thanksgiving in Oct. Will everything be open in Toronto on Thursday, Nov 22 for regular business. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,852 times
Yes

Old 09-13-2012, 02:28 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
Of course..... Here it is just another day, nothing special for us.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 4,678 times
I loooooove american thanksgiving! I married an american so I get two thanksgivings.

I must say, the americans do this holiday right! They take it as seriously as Christmas! McDonalds is closed in the US on thanksgiving!

One point for you USA

Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennise View Post
We were thinking of spending our american Thanksgiving in Toronto (Nov22)thursday I know in Canada they celebrate Thanksgiving in Oct. Will everything be open in Toronto on Thursday, Nov 22 for regular business. Thanks !
Yes business as usual, American Thanksgiving is a non event in Canada.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:55 AM

65 posts, read 185,310 times
What date is Canada's thankgiving and how do Canadians celebrate? I mean't like, for tourist events, parades and soo forth, if you don't mind me asking. I wanted to go to Canada last month but, couldn't make it happen. So, unfortunately...have to wait another couple months Anyways, thank you

Old 09-23-2012, 12:28 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_truckdriver View Post
What date is Canada's thankgiving and how do Canadians celebrate? I mean't like, for tourist events, parades and soo forth, if you don't mind me asking. I wanted to go to Canada last month but, couldn't make it happen. So, unfortunately...have to wait another couple months Anyways, thank you
Falls on second Monday of October. This year that is October 8th. However many families have their big meal on the Sunday night.

It's not similar to the US. The big meal with family is the biggest part. There is no black Friday type event. The big shopping day in Canada is boxing Day on Dec 26th.

The Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest parade is the most widely known Canadian Thanksgiving Day parade and is broadcast nationwide on CTV. The Canadian Football League holds a nationally televised doubleheader known as the "Thanksgiving Day Classic". It is one of two weeks in which the league plays on Monday afternoons, the other being the Labour Day Classic. Unlike the Labour Day games, the teams that play on the Thanksgiving Day Classic vary each year.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
There isn't too much in the way of public events for Thanksgiving, unfortunately. It's mostly a day where people get together with their families and eat turkey, ham, yams, pumpkin pie, and lots of wine.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
There isn't too much in the way of public events for Thanksgiving, unfortunately. It's mostly a day where people get together with their families and eat turkey, ham, yams, pumpkin pie, and lots of wine.
Thats about it, seems Canada hasnt turned the day/weekend into a major marketing event where every one feels the need to go and do a major shopping ritual.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats about it, seems Canada hasnt turned the day/weekend into a major marketing event where every one feels the need to go and do a major shopping ritual.
..and I think all holidays should be celebrated that way. Maybe people just had enough and said no to all the attempts at making it a consumer orgy like Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto