Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM

57 posts, read 73,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Newtown CT, kids and teachers shot dead by a kid with his Mother's guns. How ironic that she was killed by a gun that SHE bought.

How can they change this idiotic situation ?

Is there any hope for that country ?

I spent 30 years in the CF, in the military Police, so I was armed every day that I was on duty. BUT I have no need for a gun at home, and I can't see why any one needs one in Canada, except perhaps for hunters.

Are you thinking about not travelling to the USA ? I am.

Jim b

Toronto.
So, how is the view from your glass house, eh?

Guns notorious for use in Canadian mass shootings still not prohibited - Need to know - Macleans.ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
California gun sales jump; gun injuries, deaths fall

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/27/507...-increase.html

Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Newtown CT, kids and teachers shot dead by a kid with his Mother's guns. How ironic that she was killed by a gun that SHE bought.

How can they change this idiotic situation ?

Is there any hope for that country ?

I spent 30 years in the CF, in the military Police, so I was armed every day that I was on duty. BUT I have no need for a gun at home, and I can't see why any one needs one in Canada, except perhaps for hunters.

Are you thinking about not travelling to the USA ? I am.

Jim b

Toronto.

We do have a considerable issue with part of society that believes it is good and proper and sweet revenge to raid us and remove our possessions and occasionally our lives. That alone provides sufficient grounds for owning a self defense revolver or pistol.

Only hope is a genuine hard line against the disaffected elements of society. The mass shootings are anomalies when considering the population involved. It is the other casual violent crime which is the issue. Two of the recent shooters committed suicide and the other two were taken alive and are now using the insanity defence. I suppose we should delete that option and just instill a fairly quick death penalty if the person is caught inflagrante delicto.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:19 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra321 View Post

Meh, try not to pay attention to him. I think that article shows that, generally, Canadians feel the same way about guns as our American brothers do. Something else is the problem, and it's not the guns themselves. Some are just straight up not needed by the common citizen though.

Quite frankly, I'm a little bit shocked, and embarassed, at the streak of anti-Americanism that flows from canadian citizen's finger tips from time to time. First of all, because it's disgusting, and second, being that he's a former member of the armed forces (which I'm STILL going to thank him for!). Considering both our troops are an interchangable fighting force, where Canadians can be attatched to American detatchments, and Americans to Canadian, and where neither one would miss a beat in doing so, in 30 years he must have spent considerable time training with US troops, if not fought next to them, and knows damn good and well there isn't much difference (where it counts) between Americans and Canadians.

I can only assume that years ago while training in the high desert whilst taking a poop, an American thought it would be funny to steal his toilet paper, and he's never let it go since.

As if in his magical fantasy land version of Canada, there are no criminals, and no violence.
We may not have as much gun violence up here, but maybe he forgets that we're probably more likely to beat someone to death with a blunt object. Almost seems a worse fate to me. I suppose I could have a better chance at defending myself against a blunt object, but still.

He certainly doesn't represent the feelings of the majority of Canadians. Well....we think your a bit overboard with the guns, but that's your buisness. We like guns up here too, and have quite a bit of them. We're actually fighting to change alot of the gun laws up here.

Anyway, I'll say it again: this thread is stupid. Should have been killed long ago.

Note...I did not use "eh" in there at all. Bet y'all didn't think I could do that, huh?
(gentle ribbing, from a friendly and supportive Canadian for those with no concept of sarcasm lol)

Old 12-29-2012, 05:33 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Default Well said...

[quote=Magnatomicflux;27540237]Meh, try not to pay attention to him. I think that article shows that, generally, Canadians feel the same way about guns as our American brothers do. Something else is the problem, and it's not the guns themselves. Some are just straight up not needed by the common citizen though.

Quite frankly, I'm a little bit shocked, and embarassed, at the streak of anti-Americanism that flows from canadian citizen's finger tips from time to time. First of all, because it's disgusting, and second, being that he's a former member of the armed forces (which I'm STILL going to thank him for!). Considering both our troops are an interchangable fighting force, where Canadians can be attatched to American detatchments, and Americans to Canadian, and where neither one would miss a beat in doing so, in 30 years he must have spent considerable time training with US troops, if not fought next to them, and knows damn good and well there isn't much difference (where it counts) between Americans and Canadians.

I can only assume that years ago while training in the high desert whilst taking a poop, an American thought it would be funny to steal his toilet paper, and he's never let it go since.

As if in his magical fantasy land version of Canada, there are no criminals, and no violence.
We may not have as much gun violence up here, but maybe he forgets that we're probably more likely to beat someone to death with a blunt object. Almost seems a worse fate to me. I suppose I could have a better chance at defending myself against a blunt object, but still.

He certainly doesn't represent the feelings of the majority of Canadians. Well....we think your a bit overboard with the guns, but that's your buisness. We like guns up here too, and have quite a bit of them. We're actually fighting to change alot of the gun laws up here.

Anyway, I'll say it again: this thread is stupid. Should have been killed long ago.

Note...I did not use "eh" in there at all. Bet y'all didn't think I could do that, huh?
(gentle ribbing, from a friendly and supportive Canadian for those with no concept of sarcasm lol)[/quote]

as usual and quite the feat of diplomacy! Bravo!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Meh, try not to pay attention to him. I think that article shows that, generally, Canadians feel the same way about guns as our American brothers do. Something else is the problem, and it's not the guns themselves. Some are just straight up not needed by the common citizen though.

(gentle ribbing, from a friendly and supportive Canadian for those with no concept of sarcasm lol)
Yea i dont know why a thread about Guns in the United States is doing on the Toronto Canada section lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea i dont know why a thread about Guns in the United States is doing on the Toronto Canada section lol.
Other people have opinions and view points around the world on Americas major news stories, its the price America has to pay for being so established in the worlds affairs.
This is particular relevant to Canadians who live right next door.
Also for those who think this a stupid topic why you would participate in a topic you feel is stupid doesnt make much sense to me..

Last edited by jambo101; 12-30-2012 at 01:49 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
I had something to say, jambo. That's why I posted.

If cc had some class, and asked his question in a way that wasn't insulting to our neighbours, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If he had more than 4 things to say, including the OP, that were constructive in any way, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If it wasn't a trolling question with no other purpose then to start a **** storm, I wouldn't think it was stupid. It's especially stupid, because it most certainly, above all else, was NOT the appropriate time to start criticizing them. "Oh, someone killed your baby? Yesterday?!?!? Well, let me tell you how this is your fault."

The topic can and should be discussed. Canadians are impacted by nearly everything that happens in America. However, it's not our buisness to be telling them what to do. We can give them ideas, if they want them, but we shouldn't paint their whole population with the same broad brush, like canadian citizen does. We don't like it when they do it to us, why are they any different?

He almost can't stop himself from bashing Americans, and I'll be damned if I'm to just sit back and let him put the idea in their minds that he represents the typical "canadian citizen", nor the opinion of the typical Canadian soldier.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 12-30-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Studies show that most of the guns apprehended in violence crime in Canada (and Mexico) have come illegally from the U.S.

Plus, there's are the Canadian forums. We can post whatever we want.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I had something to say, jambo. That's why I posted.

If cc had some class, and asked his question in a way that wasn't insulting to our neighbours, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If he had more than 4 things to say, including the OP, that were constructive in any way, I wouldn't think it was stupid. If it wasn't a trolling question with no other purpose then to start a **** storm, I wouldn't think it was stupid. It's especially stupid, because it most certainly, above all else, was NOT the appropriate time to start criticizing them. "Oh, someone killed your baby? Yesterday?!?!? Well, let me tell you how this is your fault."

The topic can and should be discussed. Canadians are impacted by nearly everything that happens in America. However, it's not our buisness to be telling them what to do. We can give them ideas, if they want them, but we shouldn't paint their whole population with the same broad brush, like canadian citizen does. We don't like it when they do it to us, why are they any different?

He almost can't stop himself from bashing Americans, and I'll be damned if I'm to just sit back and let him put the idea in their minds that he represents the typical "canadian citizen", nor the opinion of the typical Canadian soldier.
I think people should lighten up. People criticize America. People criticize Canada. It's not personal (or shouldn't be). These are discussion boards. I had someone call me a coconut- breaking chimpanzee in the Politics forum.

Last edited by ellemint; 12-30-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto