Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times

Advertisements

Food is subjective, yes, but food is more than famous Euro-chefs who happen to settle in a certain city, or the diversity of a city's immigrant population. It's the availability of good grocery stores, bakeries, inexpensive but good eateries (whether full-fledged restaurants or cafes), and quality food outside chic bistros in fashionable neighborhoods. On this scale, Toronto ranks below Montreal in Canada and certainly below some cities in the US: New York, San Francisco, New Orleans, and possibly even Los Angeles, Chicago and metro Washington DC.

To the Canadian poster who warned the OP that Phoenix, Arizona, was so small and quiet compared to Toronto: Phoenix is a metro area of 4 million people (if it were in Canada, it would be that country's 2nd-largest metro). Everything is relative, and while it's true that Toronto is larger and more cosmopolitan than Phoenix, let's not go too far. Phoenix is quite big, and it ain't Winnipeg.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 06-21-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Food is subjective, yes, but food is more than famous Euro-chefs who happen to settle in a certain city, or the diversity of a city's immigrant population. It's the availability of good grocery stores, bakeries, inexpensive but good eateries (whether full-fledged restaurants or cafes), and quality food outside chic bistros in fashionable neighborhoods. On this scale, Toronto ranks below Montreal in Canada and certainly below some cities in the US: New York, San Francisco, New Orleans, and possibly even Los Angeles, Chicago and metro Washington DC.
I think you make some really good points here. Even the junk food in Montreal has more than a few unique local twists.

It's one thing for a city's restaurant scene to take multiple signature cuisines and dishes from other parts of the world and replicate them authentically (and even exquisitely), and quite another to produce entirely new, innovative dishes and genres and also fusions of dishes/genres that have never existed anywhere else.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times
Quote:
To the Canadian poster who warned the OP that Phoenix, Arizona, was so small and quiet compared to Toronto: Phoenix is a metro area of 4 million people (if it were in Canada, it would be that country's 2nd-largest metro). Everything is relative, and while it's true that Toronto is larger and more cosmopolitan than Phoenix, let's not go too far. Phoenix is quite big, and it ain't Winnipeg.
I know Phoenix very well. I love it there, but let's not pretend it feels anywhere close to a city of 4M. Toronto is on a whole other scale, despite only being slightly larger.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
@Liberated. Toronto isn't "slightly larger" than Phoenix: Per The Economist 2013 yearbook: Toronto 6 million, Phoenix, 4.1 million. Toronto is Canada's powerhouse, while Phoenix is a regional hub of the U.S. Southwest. But Phoenix is dynamic and no "quiet" Winnipeg or Ottawa. Far from it.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
Los Angeles has better food than Toronto. And I am not talking about $50+ per plate restaurants. I am talking about being able to walk into a place and eat for less than $10 a filling, delicious, healthy meal. The Mexican restaurants in Los Angeles are amazing and Toronto has no equal. That being said, Toronto has some damn good places to eat, plus it's not under the despotic rule of the U.S. regime.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:13 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times
Quote:
@Liberated. Toronto isn't "slightly larger" than Phoenix: Per The Economist 2013 yearbook: Toronto 6 million, Phoenix, 4.1 million. Toronto is Canada's powerhouse, while Phoenix is a regional hub of the U.S. Southwest. But Phoenix is dynamic and no "quiet" Winnipeg or Ottawa. Far from it.
I don't want to argue about it - I know all the facts about Phoenix. My family has a home there, I have been at least 40 times and I have even considered moving there.

All my point was that coming from Flagstaff, AZ, Phoenix may seem like a massive city - but Toronto is in another league. I was giving the OP a comparable reference point to understand the scale of this place, because it doesn't compare to anything in the region in which he currently lives.

I said Phoenix seems small and peaceful by comparison. To anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time in each city, it does.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale many times myself, mostly for work mind you. It is not a quiet town by any means. I love the scenery and the restaurants and golf courses are outstanding. But it is also very spread out and not 'downtown-centric' like Toronto so it does not have a 'big city' feel. Nor does it play the role of a regional hub that Toronto does for Canada. That being said, it would rival Montreal for being the 'second' city if it was part of Canada.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I've been to Phoenix/Scottsdale many times myself, mostly for work mind you. It is not a quiet town by any means. I love the scenery and the restaurants and golf courses are outstanding. But it is also very spread out and not 'downtown-centric' like Toronto so it does not have a 'big city' feel. Nor does it play the role of a regional hub that Toronto does for Canada. That being said, it would rival Montreal for being the 'second' city if it was part of Canada.
Size-wise, for sure. But even in the U.S. when it comes to urbanity there are many cities that are quite a bit smaller than Phoenix that offer a more urban feel.

That's doesn't mean that Phoenix is a sleepy town by any stretch.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,768 times
I suppose Phoenix has better food than Toronto too, huh?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Size-wise, for sure. But even in the U.S. when it comes to urbanity there are many cities that are quite a bit smaller than Phoenix that offer a more urban feel.

That's doesn't mean that Phoenix is a sleepy town by any stretch.
True, but just because a city is more urban than another does not make it more powerful or mean it has more clout, its really a function of where and how people live. Mostly all cities in the south are more spread out. Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are all argulably less urban than Montreal but they are all more powerful. Seattle may have a smaller downtown than Vancouver but it's still much more powerful. Pheonix can rival Montreal head-to-head in terms of economic power, but Montreal is more of a cultural powerhouse.

Last edited by johnathanc; 06-21-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto