Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has more in common with Toronto?
Chicago 14 70.00%
Vancouver 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,327 times

Advertisements

Physically it's more like Chicago, but socially and culturally it's much more like Vancouver.

I don't see how Chicago is more glamorous or has more character than Toronto? Toronto is much more worldly and cosmo, and IMO more worldly equals more glamorous. Toronto has tons of character in its old neighbourhoods, and unlike Chicago all of its old neighbourhoods are fully occupied, intact and safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:25 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
"Safe" is overrated. It most often comes at a cost. I do agree with you, though that Toronto is more similar to Vancouver than Chicago.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Physically it's more like Chicago, but socially and culturally it's much more like Vancouver.

I don't see how Chicago is more glamorous or has more character than Toronto? Toronto is much more worldly and cosmo, and IMO more worldly equals more glamorous. Toronto has tons of character in its old neighbourhoods, and unlike Chicago all of its old neighbourhoods are fully occupied, intact and safe!
Definitely agree with all of this. Chicago to me is like any midwestern city, only bigger. Toronto has an international flair simply missing in Chicago.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Chicago sprawls out to infinity - so yes it is bigger city of sprawl.. It does have a taller and more dense urban core in terms of built form (though this gap is closing) - in terms of population Chicago is certainly not bigger than Toronto's city proper and Chicago has to go FAAAR out before it becomes 'bigger' than Toronto. It isn't as dense population wise so I think the argument that Chicago is 'bigger' is weak unless you consider areas of increasingly less dense population that go on forever 'big'

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is a smaller and less glamorous version of Chicago, and it is a bigger and more vibrant version of Philadelphia (although Toronto doesn't think too much of it). I would say it is something between the two.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:38 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Chicago sprawls out to infinity - so yes it is bigger city of sprawl.. It does have a taller and more dense urban core in terms of built form (though this gap is closing) - in terms of population Chicago is certainly not bigger than Toronto's city proper and Chicago has to go FAAAR out before it becomes 'bigger' than Toronto. It isn't as dense population wise so I think the argument that Chicago is 'bigger' is weak unless you consider areas of increasingly less dense population that go on forever 'big'
Put aside all the statistics and semantics, spend five minutes in the heart of both city and one would instantly realize Chicago is a much bigger brother. Spend a day, the feeling gets stronger.

I won't be able to convince you for sure, but ask any impartial non-local people, and most of them will tell you just that.

Not to mention in all most all world city ranking, Chicago is always ahead of Toronto sometimes by quite a few spots, and there is a reason for that.

To argue there is very small difference in size, well, it is a Torontonian thing. I am not saying bigger is better, but Chicago being bigger is a fact.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoffy View Post
Agreed:

the only difference BTW both is the mosaic Toronto and Chicago is less and Chicago as a city has more character than Toronto. Indeed Chicago uses it water front better than Toronto. i think this is a big missing point from Toronto by not revitalizing it. after that as the OP being said the both look same.
^Agreed. The Chicago Lakefront is amazing. Utilized and created very well. Toronto is slowly revitalizing their waterfront, but it will take time.

Will it be at par with Chicago's? Probably not... but who knows? Only thing I do know is that it is a work in progress. Every few months it seems as if a new park, public square, a building, or something opens up along the Toronto Waterfront.

Homepage / Waterfront Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Put aside all the statistics and semantics, spend five minutes in the heart of both city and one would instantly realize Chicago is a much bigger brother. Spend a day, the feeling gets stronger.

I won't be able to convince you for sure, but ask any impartial non-local people, and most of them will tell you just that.

Not to mention in all most all world city ranking, Chicago is always ahead of Toronto sometimes by quite a few spots, and there is a reason for that.

To argue there is very small difference in size, well, it is a Torontonian thing. I am not saying bigger is better, but Chicago being bigger is a fact.
Whats your definition of "bigger"? Because there are some world city rankings and other ranked statistics where Chicago/Toronto rank neck and neck, and even some where Toronto ranks higher than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto