Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

My main reason for this Toronto trip is to see Niagara Falls. I fly into Pearson from Chicago midday 26 Sep (2013) and fly out of toronto to Quebec city morning 29 Sep. Trying to decide between just a day trip to Niagara Falls or overnight and visit some wineries too. Overnight in Niagara region would significantly reduce time in toronto. Should I have the day in toronto and skip wineries? I often visit wineries in Australia and love tasting but would not purchase anything. Have other big cities on my itinerary (Chicago, NYC), so is a day in Toronto adding much extra? Thanks for any suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Oz View Post
My main reason for this Toronto trip is to see Niagara Falls. I fly into Pearson from Chicago midday 26 Sep (2013) and fly out of toronto to Quebec city morning 29 Sep. Trying to decide between just a day trip to Niagara Falls or overnight and visit some wineries too. Overnight in Niagara region would significantly reduce time in toronto. Should I have the day in toronto and skip wineries? I often visit wineries in Australia and love tasting but would not purchase anything. Have other big cities on my itinerary (Chicago, NYC), so is a day in Toronto adding much extra? Thanks for any suggestions...
you will have longer than we are taking and I bet you can still fit it in somehow. We are not doing the winery part because we only have 2 days and just don't see how we can do it. We will be there the week after you. We check into our hotel at YYZ Thursday morning and are doing the hop on/hop off bus the entire afternoon. The, early Friday morning we take the Niagara Falls day trip, with only one winery stop. We too, love to do wine tours, but we feel seeing the city is more important. Even if you will be seeing other cities, each one offers something different and it's own personality. Truthfully, but of course, we are not coming from 1/2 across the world, if I had my choice, we would be spending our 2 days in Toronto and skipping the falls. It is my husband that wants to see Niagara Falls.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:47 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
You should not miss out on the falls no matter what people say. And do the Maid of the Mist boat tour to the base of the falls too.

If you've been to the Barossa Valley on wine tours then the wineries in Niagara will be similar. Though the small town which is near many of the wineries (Niagara-on-the-Lake) is definitely worth visiting.

In Toronto you definitely want to go up the CN Tower. If you have not seen a baseball game in one of the US cities you might want to go to one at Rogers Centre (at the base of the tower).

Depending on your interests Toronto has several gooes museums: the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum among them. For something uniquely Canadian you can also go the McMichael Collection in Kleinburg north of the city that features the works of the Group of 7, a famous group of Canadian artists.

Oh yeah, when in the Quebec City area definitely try and get out of the city to either the north or northeast to see the colours in the hills if they have already turned at that time.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You should not miss out on the falls no matter what people say. And do the Maid of the Mist boat tour to the base of the falls too.
I want to reiterate this. If you only have one day in Toronto/ Niagara - MAKE SURE you go see the Niagara Falls. To truly appreciate the Falls - do the Maid of the Mist tour. It is just fantastic!

Quote:
If you've been to the Barossa Valley on wine tours then the wineries in Niagara will be similar. Though the small town which is near many of the wineries (Niagara-on-the-Lake) is definitely worth visiting.
I agree. The wineries are in a pretty little town called Niagara-on-the-Lake. The wineries here are average at best. Go there only if you have more than 1 day to spend in the area.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks all! I have booked a day tour to the falls that includes a winery visit and Niagara on the lake )
Baseball is a great suggestion. Looking forward to seeing Toronto!!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM

If you are interested in leaf-peeping (admiring the fall colours), you should check out theweathernetwork.com. They usually have a map on there once the season starts that shows what the leaves are like colour-wise in each region of Ontario and Quebec.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:35 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Thanks all! I have booked a day tour to the falls that includes a winery visit and Niagara on the lake )
Baseball is a great suggestion. Looking forward to seeing Toronto!!
that sounds like the same tour we are taking. It includes a winery, the falls, the boat ride, etc.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 AM

Thanks again for the Toronto/Niagara tips! I really enjoyed my time in Toronto, went up CN tower, Kensington Markets on the last sunday of October was brilliant! Also watched a Blue Jays game and a harbour boat tour for the cityscape view. The day tour was pretty good, the falls and maid of the mist the highlight. The stop at Niagara-on-the-lake felt a little rushed but decent to check it out. Was also nice to try the ice wine. The riesling and cabernet merlot were nice too. Oh and went out to the countryside from quebec and saw some lovely autumn maple colours... Can't see that in Australia!

nmnita - just in case you are looking into it, I did pay for the hop-on hop-off but lost the ticket and they would not replace even though I had proof of purchase and I hadn't even used the ticket yet! I couldn't bear giving them anymore money so instead I purchased the day pass for public transport. The sites are pretty accessible on this, although with all of the construction happening I did have to walk a bit due to replacement stops etc. Have fun!

Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for the Toronto/Niagara tips! I really enjoyed my time in Toronto, went up CN tower, Kensington Markets on the last sunday of October was brilliant! Also watched a Blue Jays game and a harbour boat tour for the cityscape view. The day tour was pretty good, the falls and maid of the mist the highlight. The stop at Niagara-on-the-lake felt a little rushed but decent to check it out. Was also nice to try the ice wine. The riesling and cabernet merlot were nice too. Oh and went out to the countryside from quebec and saw some lovely autumn maple colours... Can't see that in Australia!

nmnita - just in case you are looking into it, I did pay for the hop-on hop-off but lost the ticket and they would not replace even though I had proof of purchase and I hadn't even used the ticket yet! I couldn't bear giving them anymore money so instead I purchased the day pass for public transport. The sites are pretty accessible on this, although with all of the construction happening I did have to walk a bit due to replacement stops etc. Have fun!
Glad to see you had a good time and that our advice was useful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto