Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 AM

8 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
My husband may be sent to Toronto to manage a project for work which would mean a move for the entire family- hubby, myself, 3 kids aged 11, 9 and 6 and two small terrier dogs. I'm just doing some research about Toronto itself and have read some of the posts relating to moving. I'm a bit picky because I not only want good public schools but am after an arty/progressive area with good bike riding lanes. Is that possible in Toronto? My two oldest kids are in the extension/academically gifted class at school ( and no they're not tutored in case anyone is wondering ) but like all parents I want them to reach their full potential so good schools are the most important. Some of the threads have said Toronto can be quite conservative which has freaked me out because I'm a bit quirky and would feel suffocated by the conformity. I've been described as a hipster mum and a free spirit by two school mums. We live in Sydney, Australia and moved to the Hills district (Sydney's bible belt) because the public schools have such a good reputation and I remember thinking, how bad can it be? However I've never been happy in the 7 years we lived here- so many narrow-minded, ultra-conservervatives and I only made one friend. Also there is absolutely no bike riding culture- the regulation silver SUV's practically push you off the road. I don't want to make the same mistake again! Any suggestions are very welcome and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM

5,900 posts, read 6,107,088 times
Are you looking for bike lanes to get you somewhere (ex commuting) or just for recreation? Toronto has tons of ravines with bike trails but bike lanes are more limitted.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:07 PM

To use as transport so I can ride a bike rather than drive by car.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 PM

No more need to answer. I've done some more research online and have found everything I need. Thanks for looking at my post!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,283 times
Default Moving back to Toronto, looking for same things

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gypsy8 View Post
No more need to answer. I've done some more research online and have found everything I need. Thanks for looking at my post!
Hi there,

How did you make out and what area did you decide on? I'm curious as we're hoping to move back to Toronto from the UK and looking for the same things as you. Will have a child in tow so excellent schools are important! I'm especially interested in Reggio Emilia and Montessori schools.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 AM

Hi Homesick Canadian,
Sorry about replying so late to your question. We haven't made the move yet, however I did lots of Googling which I found very helpful. One gem I came across was Toronto Life Magazine (online) which actually had an article describing and ranking all of Torontos neighbourhoods. It's worth checking out. Good luck and please keep me posted about how you go. http://http://www.torontolife.com/in...ipage_anchor_1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto