Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 12:03 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You know, those evenings where you just fall into a crowd of locals that has spilled out onto the sidewalk from a bar in an ancient cobblestone street, and you drink and laugh the night away, make for some of the best travel memories.

I've experienced it many times in many countries. But it certainly doesn't happen every time you go out, regardless of the country you're in. Not even close.

It's not something you have to leave North America to experience either.

It's happened to me in Texas, and also in my own city.
maybe so, but it is nevertheless disingenuous to claim street life in Canada or typical North American cities are no different from that in European cities, and that you can have a night of blast anywhere.

To me, street life in Europe is more similar to Asia than to North America, which is more like an outliner in the world where people actually prefer living away from central city. Typical life in Italy or Spain reminds me of that in China, Japan or Thailand, not Canada or the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:41 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
maybe so, but it is nevertheless disingenuous to claim street life in Canada or typical North American cities are no different from that in European cities, and that you can have a night of blast anywhere.

To me, street life in Europe is more similar to Asia than to North America, which is more like an outliner in the world where people actually prefer living away from central city. Typical life in Italy or Spain reminds me of that in China, Japan or Thailand, not Canada or the US.
I won't dispute that it's different, and even that it's "better" in most of Europe, but I shake my head when people say that North Americans don't socialize. People find a way to socialize. No matter where they live. Even if they live in auto-dependent suburbia.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:48 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
Certainly, Italian, Greek and Portuguese immigration has improved streetlife in Toronto. But a Mediterranean city it ain't.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:59 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I won't dispute that it's different, and even that it's "better" in most of Europe, but I shake my head when people say that North Americans don't socialize. People find a way to socialize. No matter where they live. Even if they live in auto-dependent suburbia.
Of course North Americans socialize. Just go to the myriad of cafes on Bloor or one of the many beer pubs (some with very great selections) and tell me people don't socialize. Especially now that the weather has warmed up, you'll see more and more outdoor patios. Last Sunday, I was hanging out with a friend around UofT, and the cafes in that area were packed, couldn't even find a pair of seats.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Of course North Americans socialize. Just go to the myriad of cafes on Bloor or one of the many beer pubs (some with very great selections) and tell me people don't socialize. Especially now that the weather has warmed up, you'll see more and more outdoor patios. Last Sunday, I was hanging out with a friend around UofT, and the cafes in that area were packed, couldn't even find a pair of seats.
Its not difficult to strike up a conversation with a perfect stranger in most N. American cities. Especially in a bar type setting. Whenever I travel for work and am alone, I always go out at night to grab a bite to eat and a drink. It would be easier to count the amount of times I havent gotten into a long conversation with a person or group than otherwise.

Even in cities like Toronto that are often tagged as anti social, I find it quite common. Just on a semi recent visit to Toronto I took out a few of my friends that came up with me from Boston and hung out at Cold Tea in Kensington for a night. The tables on both sides of us and our own were basically all hanging out with each other by the end of the night, buying rounds and what-not. One couple actually asked us if we wanted to join them for a bite to eat afterwards.

Now the difference in these N. American cities (US and Canada specifically) is that they are not as pedestrian friendly as in other countries. So the amount of places you have to get bump into total strangers in a casual setting are somewhat limited in comparison. A city like Toronto could do with a few more pedestrian only zones that are set up for not just walking but outdoor dining and drinking. Not patios (which are also great) but just open zones where you can all hang, similar to what Botti experienced in Lisbon.

A place like Kensington market which has pedestrian only Sundays would be a perfect place to start. Make it pedestrian only 7 days a week and give all the vendors liquor licenses to serve outdoors. Half of them face the street anyways, so no configuration would be necessary. I would absolutely make a place like that a destination on every visit.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Its not difficult to strike up a conversation with a perfect stranger in most N. American cities. Especially in a bar type setting. Whenever I travel for work and am alone, I always go out at night to grab a bite to eat and a drink. It would be easier to count the amount of times I havent gotten into a long conversation with a person or group than otherwise.

Even in cities like Toronto that are often tagged as anti social, I find it quite common. Just on a semi recent visit to Toronto I took out a few of my friends that came up with me from Boston and hung out at Cold Tea in Kensington for a night. The tables on both sides of us and our own were basically all hanging out with each other by the end of the night, buying rounds and what-not. One couple actually asked us if we wanted to join them for a bite to eat afterwards.

Now the difference in these N. American cities (US and Canada specifically) is that they are not as pedestrian friendly as in other countries. So the amount of places you have to get bump into total strangers in a casual setting are somewhat limited in comparison. A city like Toronto could do with a few more pedestrian only zones that are set up for not just walking but outdoor dining and drinking. Not patios (which are also great) but just open zones where you can all hang, similar to what Botti experienced in Lisbon.

A place like Kensington market which has pedestrian only Sundays would be a perfect place to start. Make it pedestrian only 7 days a week and give all the vendors liquor licenses to serve outdoors. Half of them face the street anyways, so no configuration would be necessary. I would absolutely make a place like that a destination on every visit.
I very much agree with this post... When they made a slice of King street ped only during TIFF last year it was noticeably more vibrant and alive.. Even the bars and restaurants extended their patio's into the streets and always packed.. It was awesome.. Its kind of a build it and they will come type of thing and has to do more with structure and setup than some biological or deep anti-social culture that we live in.. Anyway, no sense doing this in the dead of winter but from May to October let's bring on more Pedestrian only streets.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:34 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

This. Recently unveiled redevelopment of Honest Ed's, which will feature 55 low-medium rise buildings (yes, 55, that many...) along with open air market and pedestrian street:

Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
nice! Sure beats honest ed's lol..

Old 03-11-2015, 05:51 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
I like it, alot. Thats the type of stuff I like seeing.

Side question. What are they doing with the Honest Ed's sign/facade?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:06 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Botti, how was trip to Lisbon? Did you go out and get laid?
went out with a bunch of young folks but didn't get laid . Had a great time though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto