Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 09:40 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,182,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Vancouver.
Vancouver is a U.S. city now?

And honestly, Vancouver doesn't even come close anywhere near Toronto. God why do I even bother responding to these troll answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,731,481 times
Maybe he meant Vancouver, WA.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:04 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,731,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I think Montreal is kind of a hybrid between Brooklyn and Boston. Interestingly you mention the Haitian community in Montreal, because that trait definitely is more similar to US cities than other Canadian cities.
Well virtually all Haitians went to francophone Montreal, which really isn't that surprising. While Toronto has a very diverse Black immigrant population Haitians are almost nonexistent here.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:40 PM

3,879 posts, read 5,308,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Well virtually all Haitians went to francophone Montreal, which really isn't that surprising. While Toronto has a very diverse Black immigrant population Haitians are almost nonexistent here.
Despite the lack of certain communities, I would say Toronto still has a more diverse black population than Montreal. I would put the diversity of Toronto's black population easily one of the top 5 in North America. The only cities where I could easily see having a more diverse black population are NYC, Boston and possibly Miami.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,144,697 times
Quote:
Despite the lack of certain communities, I would say Toronto still has a more diverse black population than Montreal. I would put the diversity of Toronto's black population easily one of the top 5 in North America. The only cities where I could easily see having a more diverse black population are NYC, Boston and possibly Miami.
Agreed. Montreal's black community is predominantly either Haitian or francophone African. There are also some people from Jamaica and other "anglo" islands in the West Indies, and also some long-established descendants of African-Americans.

But Toronto's black community is more diverse for sure.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Yes. Some Haitians have now moved beyond Montreal into other regions of Quebec (like Gatineau, Quebec City, Sherbrooke) and also across the ON-QC border into Ottawa as well.

But relatively few have made to Toronto.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Agreed. Montreal's black community is predominantly either Haitian or francophone African. There are also some people from Jamaica and other "anglo" islands in the West Indies, and also some long-established descendants of African-Americans.

But Toronto's black community is more diverse for sure.
Without looking I would assume after Haitian the largest black immigrant group might be Congolese? I know Montreal also has a large Latin American community, I wonder how many self identify as "black"?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Without looking I would assume after Haitian the largest black immigrant group might be Congolese? I know Montreal also has a large Latin American community, I wonder how many self identify as "black"?
I think you're right. Congo (Kinshasa) is by far the largest sub-Saharan francophone African country in population.

All of the others tend to be quite small in population. So we have maybe 10-15,000 Congolese (maybe more) and then a couple thousand each from Senegal, Benin, Gabon, Burkina, Rwanda, Togo, etc.

Of course, the Haitian (and Haitian origin even more) population is 10 times or more bigger than any single one of these origins.

Note though that the African origin population is growing much faster than the Haitian IMO. New arrivals from Haiti are still coming but most new arrivals that I see in Quebec seem to be from francophone SS Africa.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,933,402 times
Quote:
Do you know if there is a good website/link with a detailed breakdown of the Black community in Toronto/GTA by national origin/background and numbers.. I hate it when they just lump the community as "black"

Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Do you know if there is a good website/link with a detailed breakdown of the Black community in Toronto/GTA by national origin/background and numbers.. I hate it when they just lump the community as "black"
Yeah I hate that as well, they do the same in the US.

https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...62/p21-eng.cfm

This does not break it down by number, but does have some good information.

The Black population of 352,200 made up 16.2% of Toronto's visible minority population, and 6.9% of its total population.

Just 55.4% of the Black population, about 195,300, were foreign-born in 2006, a smaller proportion than for the South Asian and Chinese communities. Over one-half (55.1%) of foreign-born Blacks came from three countries: Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, and Ghana.

Wiki places the the 2006 Jamaican population of Toronto at 177,305 (Demographics of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The Ghanian population as of 2013 was 14,720 in the city of Toronto, 23,225 in the GTA (Ghanaian | UReachToronto)

It doesnt exactly make sense to look up the Trinidadian and Guyanese populations, because many do not identify as black. So its difficult to break them down by race.

I know this was not exactly the best way to break this down, but it gives you an idea of the largest groups within the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto