Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:33 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I would agree appealing seems a bit strange to say. I guess it is just the lucky if the draw. Each person takes things different. Walking back to my hotel last night in Manhattan at 12:30 am after a concert this guy approached me by saying you smell really good, what's your name? I thought that was an interesting angle? A little odd because there was actually no reason he needed to be walking so close to me as the whole side walk was empty, but whatever. I think it would has been a little less odd if we happend to be in a tight space where there was reason to be standing so close. Never the less I was happy to take that complement because after walk 35 minutes each way to and from the concert on a hot night and dancing for 1.5 hours during the concert if I still smelled good ... I am diffidently picked the right deoderant and perfume
Oh cool - enjoy NYC!! Let us know how your trip went
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:20 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
I would agree appealing seems a bit strange to say. I guess it is just the lucky if the draw. Each person takes things different. Walking back to my hotel last night in Manhattan at 12:30 am after a concert this guy approached me by saying you smell really good, what's your name? I thought that was an interesting angle? A little odd because there was actually no reason he needed to be walking so close to me as the whole side walk was empty, but whatever. I think it would has been a little less odd if we happend to be in a tight space where there was reason to be standing so close. Never the less I was happy to take that complement because after walk 35 minutes each way to and from the concert on a hot night and dancing for 1.5 hours during the concert if I still smelled good ... I am diffidently picked the right deoderant and perfume
You are being way too analytical. Like a typical Torontonian. He just wanted to be nice in hopes you'd be nice back and maybe take it further. But here you go analyzing every minute detail. This is why there is no point in trying to talk to females around here. You think too much and take too much from a simple compliment

Old 09-21-2015, 04:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default I never said what I was thinking out loud :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
You are being way too analytical. Like a typical Torontonian. He just wanted to be nice in hopes you'd be nice back and maybe take it further. But here you go analyzing every minute detail. This is why there is no point in trying to talk to females around here. You think too much and take too much from a simple compliment
I get paid to be analytical for a living.... it is not so easy to turn that part of my brain off. I said thanks politely and smiled back, but I needed to keep walking. He did not say anything after that and even if he did I am not single anyway. It was 12:30 am and I was walking form Madison Square Gardens to 47th and 3rd in shoes that probably were not meant for wearing on a long walk ). Also truth be told I was dressed appropriate for the event I was going to ... probably not the most appropriate outfit to go walking around at 12:30 am alone in. I would have taken a taxi, but I actually wanted to get the exercise, it would have taken forever to get a taxi after the concert let out and it only have only made a 10-15 minute time difference (also analyzed that too ).

Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM

800 posts, read 730,356 times
Quote:
I get paid to be analytical for a living.... it is not so easy to turn that part of my brain off. I said thanks politely and smiled back, but I needed to keep walking. He did not say anything after that and even if he did I am not single anyway. It was 12:30 am and I was walking form Madison Square Gardens to 47th and 3rd in shoes that probably were not meant for wearing on a long walk ). Also truth be told I was dressed appropriate for the event I was going to ... probably not the most appropriate outfit to go walking around at 12:30 am alone in. I would have taken a taxi, but I actually wanted to get the exercise, it would have taken forever to get a taxi after the concert let out and it only have only made a 10-15 minute time difference (also analyzed that too ).
So some guy said hi and you did nothing. Great story. Too many words for nothing. That guy probably compliments everyone he finds attractive. Because in nyc girls are receptive and he knows he will get a bite eventually that night.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh cool - enjoy NYC!! Let us know how your trip went

The concert was AMAZING and well worth the trip. There was an additional special guest that I had wanted to see when I was Miami is the spring, but could not see because I was with someone who really did not want to go and would not be ok with me going by myself and leaving them at the hotel. So it was a really great added bonus.

To be honest I am really glad I took the bus because I was totally lucky that I got to sit with no one beside me on either way so I had more room to stretch. Also I took the bus overnight so I saved on a hotel room for those 2 nights, save a lot of money on transportation (I think both ways total cost $100 Canadian for the trip) and I did not waste any extra time getting there and back. For me it was pretty easy to sleep on the bus. I have done this type of thing before on worse roads and risker places.

I just got back this morning. I am still digesting my experience. There are certainly things I like and do not like about NYC. I found shopping and eating in Manhattan sucks because it crazy overpriced and there was nothing I cannot find anywhere else cheaper. I literally saw a hand bag I got in store in Miami for $100 (when the exchange rate was lower) for $400? That got me out of that store fast. To me it was just similar overpriced stuff block after block. I tried to explore parts of the city I had never gone too and went to Coney Island. The museum was closed and they did not have a show because there was a horror flim festival on, but I got to watch this really cool salsa band playing on the beach while I ate lunch . So I will just have to go back another time to see the museum and show.

I literally walked from 47th and 3rd to 112th or 114th to lexington back to where I started just to see if shopping was any better outside of the core... it is not lol. I did not find El Bario/ East Harlem during the day uncomfortable. I personally can not stand all the sky rise appartments. I was trying to find some music stores. I could not find anything ... not even those people that sell CDs out of gym bags/ backpacks like in most other places. There were some cool murals though. Then just went I was about to give up I walk in to a pretty big street festival on Lexington. It was okay (not a good as the ones I have been to in Toronto or Miami, but still pretty cool).

I do not like I would want to live there, but would go back again just to explore different neighbourhoods. I am stil not clear on how normal people buy groceries and shop for basis there. I was in a chain drug store just a few blocks before East Harlem started and noticed a table full of stuff that said 90% off everything. It was school supply type stuff and I did need glue (I had the same brand of glue at home and it is sold in the dollar store). Nothing on the table had price stickers so I took to the cash to ask how much it would come up to. The lady told me it would come up to $1.75 once she took the 90% discount off . I rephrased the question because I was certain she had made a mistake ... so you mean the regular price of this glue is around $20? (I had to hold my tongue.... I was not sure if she was crazy, really bad at math or thought I was an idiot), but I at that point I knew I was done trying to buy anything in Manhattan. If this situation happend in Toronto I would have explored the logic of the pricing with her to figure out if she really just did not know how to calculate the math or if the store was trying to sell dollar store glue for $20 a stick, but I do not live in NYC so I could not be bothered.

After getting back to Toronto on the subway ride back home this man probably around my age started talking with me and asked where I was coming from. Ironic enough he was from New York and lives in Toronto now. Imagine that such a really friendly personal in Toronto from New York lol. Ironic. Once he found out I was coming back from NYC the first thing he said ... is it still really dirty. So then I felt better about the fact that I really found it was REALLY dirty. Too many places outside smelled like pee, the steam coming from the swears was kind of nasty and not to mention seeing the biggest coach roach I have ever seen outside of a tropical country running up and down the street like it owned the place. I was trying so hard not to trip of anything because I would have to shower with beach to ever feel clean again if I hit that pavement . Toronto is not perfect in this area either, but does not seem as bad to me.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
The concert was AMAZING and well worth the trip. There was an additional special guest that I had wanted to see when I was Miami is the spring, but could not see because I was with someone who really did not want to go and would not be ok with me going by myself and leaving them at the hotel. So it was a really great added bonus.

To be honest I am really glad I took the bus because I was totally lucky that I got to sit with no one beside me on either way so I had more room to stretch. Also I took the bus overnight so I saved on a hotel room for those 2 nights, save a lot of money on transportation (I think both ways total cost $100 Canadian for the trip) and I did not waste any extra time getting there and back. For me it was pretty easy to sleep on the bus. I have done this type of thing before on worse roads and risker places.

I just got back this morning. I am still digesting my experience. There are certainly things I like and do not like about NYC. I found shopping and eating in Manhattan sucks because it crazy overpriced and there was nothing I cannot find anywhere else cheaper. I literally saw a hand bag I got in store in Miami for $100 (when the exchange rate was lower) for $400? That got me out of that store fast. To me it was just similar overpriced stuff block after block. I tried to explore parts of the city I had never gone too and went to Coney Island. The museum was closed and they did not have a show because there was a horror flim festival on, but I got to watch this really cool salsa band playing on the beach while I ate lunch . So I will just have to go back another time to see the museum and show.

I literally walked from 47th and 3rd to 112th or 114th to lexington back to where I started just to see if shopping was any better outside of the core... it is not lol. I did not find El Bario/ East Harlem during the day uncomfortable. I personally can not stand all the sky rise appartments. I was trying to find some music stores. I could not find anything ... not even those people that sell CDs out of gym bags/ backpacks like in most other places. There were some cool murals though. Then just went I was about to give up I walk in to a pretty big street festival on Lexington. It was okay (not a good as the ones I have been to in Toronto or Miami, but still pretty cool).

I do not like I would want to live there, but would go back again just to explore different neighbourhoods. I am stil not clear on how normal people buy groceries and shop for basis there. I was in a chain drug store just a few blocks before East Harlem started and noticed a table full of stuff that said 90% off everything. It was school supply type stuff and I did need glue (I had the same brand of glue at home and it is sold in the dollar store). Nothing on the table had price stickers so I took to the cash to ask how much it would come up to. The lady told me it would come up to $1.75 once she took the 90% discount off . I rephrased the question because I was certain she had made a mistake ... so you mean the regular price of this glue is around $20? (I had to hold my tongue.... I was not sure if she was crazy, really bad at math or thought I was an idiot), but I at that point I knew I was done trying to buy anything in Manhattan. If this situation happend in Toronto I would have explored the logic of the pricing with her to figure out if she really just did not know how to calculate the math or if the store was trying to sell dollar store glue for $20 a stick, but I do not live in NYC so I could not be bothered.

After getting back to Toronto on the subway ride back home this man probably around my age started talking with me and asked where I was coming from. Ironic enough he was from New York and lives in Toronto now. Imagine that such a really friendly personal in Toronto from New York lol. Ironic. Once he found out I was coming back from NYC the first thing he said ... is it still really dirty. So then I felt better about the fact that I really found it was REALLY dirty. Too many places outside smelled like pee, the steam coming from the swears was kind of nasty and not to mention seeing the biggest coach roach I have ever seen outside of a tropical country running up and down the street like it owned the place. I was trying so hard not to trip of anything because I would have to shower with beach to ever feel clean again if I hit that pavement . Toronto is not perfect in this area either, but does not seem as bad to me.
Well at least you got to go and experience it.. I do love NYC - sure it has its issues in parts - smelly/dirty but the architecture and highrise nature of Manhattan always makes me feel good to be alive.. I also like that is such an iconic place - so many places you see in the movies and tv are there. As for cost - well yeah its an expensive place - people who live there (Especially in Manhattan) tend to make good coin so the cost is relative..

As much as I love it though, I've had my share for awhile - so many other places to visit around the world and NYC has a strong urban and cultural rival on our very continent in Mex City plus the food is SUPER cheap as are hotel costs

Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 PM

Default Working on going to Mexico city

Quote:
Well at least you got to go and experience it.. I do love NYC - sure it has its issues in parts - smelly/dirty but the architecture and highrise nature of Manhattan always makes me feel good to be alive.. I also like that is such an iconic place - so many places you see in the movies and tv are there. As for cost - well yeah its an expensive place - people who live there (Especially in Manhattan) tend to make good coin so the cost is relative..

As much as I love it though, I've had my share for awhile - so many other places to visit around the world and NYC has a strong urban and cultural rival on our very continent in Mex City plus the food is SUPER cheap as are hotel costs
I am trying to go to Mexico City. More likely next year. There is so many places to go ....but finding the time is tricky. I really want to go for Dia de Los muertos, but not going to happen this year.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I am trying to go to Mexico City. More likely next year. There is so many places to go ....but finding the time is tricky. I really want to go for Dia de Los muertos, but not going to happen this year.
I strongly recommend Mexico City! I can honestly say of all the cities I've been to including NYC, London, Bangkok, Istanbul, Cairo, Madrid etc it is the most vibrant.. Amazing food all over, not just restaurants but countless street food vendors with delicious Tacos, Gorditas, Quesadillas, Tostadas, Chalupa and all so fresh and unbelievably cheap.. I really miss the Guacamole its served with practically every meal!

There are tons of musuems, clubs, bars, street festivals all over and the ped vibrancy is nuts.. A great day trip is to the pyramids of Teotihuacan - they are not far from Mexico City and you can actually climb them a learn about the fascinating history of the region.

The good thing about M.C is that its only a 4 hour flight from Toronto and often cheap too and introduces you into a completely different experience!

Old 09-24-2015, 02:54 PM

430 posts, read 835,294 times
Quote:
I mean point 7 where he says there are too many Asian and Indian girls (apparently not smart enough to understand that India is in Asia) and saying that this just doesn't cut it for a 'discriminating' man such as himself (barf!)
I didn't follow the link because of reading this. Here in NYC, East Asian and South Asian women are thought to be some of the most attractive. I noticed in California, too, that white guys tend to go for Asian women.

I'm guilty as well, on average I prefer both East Asian and South Asian women to white women. So he should go to the American South or somewhere else where white men might actually think in the same way. It's doubtful they would in any highly educated location like a major city in the northern part of the continent.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:30 PM

Default Branding of groups of people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
I didn't follow the link because of reading this. Here in NYC, East Asian and South Asian women are thought to be some of the most attractive. I noticed in California, too, that white guys tend to go for Asian women.

I'm guilty as well, on average I prefer both East Asian and South Asian women to white women. So he should go to the American South or somewhere else where white men might actually think in the same way. It's doubtful they would in any highly educated location like a major city in the northern part of the continent.
I have to laugh at the whole concept of branding groups of people as attractive or not attractive. It always floors me when people say oh yeah women or men from this country or nationality are so attractive. Saying that assumes that everyone from the country or culture looks the same. If you stop to really think ... do you think all Columbian or Brazilian women look like super models? Do you think all American men look like superman? LOL... no way. Each Asian women does not look like a anime character. Each Latina women does not look like Jennifer Lopez. Each American women does not like a Barbie doll. It is really dumb to generically label cultural or ethnic groups of people as attractive or not attractive as there are spectrums of the classic definitions of beauty in all groups. A long time ago a friend's boyfriend set me up on a date with this guy he knew when I was living in London. He told him that I was Canadian. When we met on the date jokingly he told me it was a good thing I asked what you would be wearing as when he told me you were Canadian I was expecting some blonde girl. Regardless of if the generalization is positive or negative... it just does not make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto