Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:35 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,623,048 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'll be visiting Toronto (and Canada for that manner) for the first time on April 7. I am staying until the morning of April 10. I'll be seeing a Jays home opener on April 8 and I'm looking for a place to dine near the Rogers Centre. I don't drive, so I need somewhere that I can walk or take transit. I don't drink alcohol for spiritual reasons and I don't eat pork for those reasons either. I'm open to everything else!

Thanks,
Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Hi. You have lots of options in that area for a sit down meal or quick take out meal/ faster food. Before heading to a concert at the Rogers Centre I usually grab something to eat at one of the restaurants in walking distance which means besides or across the street. One of the easiest options for me is to head to Mövenpick Marché: 181 Bay St C350, Toronto, ON M5J 2T3. They also open pretty late and have a lot to choose from which makes it a great place to stop off in the evening for coffee or a late meal. This option offers lost of choices besides pork. Toronto has many people living here that are Muslim or Jewish so most places are use to questions about pork/pork products or alcohol in foods. I go to this place with other people that have foods they avoid for religious reasons and they are usually pretty helpful answering questions about ingredients in food.

The are many many other places in walking distance and in Union Station. Any particular types of food you prefer? Most sit down restaurants have alcohol several, but if you ask your server to confirm if there is alcohol or pork in what you were thinking of having they will check with the kitchen and try to suggest items that don't have these ingredients. If you are looking for places that do not sever alcohol at all you are better offer sticking to fast foods/ quick services places that typically don't have alcoholic beverages for purchases on their menu. This does not mean they will not serve items that have ingredients that have alcohol in them. There are choices to suit all budgets in that area and there is also a grocery store in the underground path (under ground mall that connects different office buildings downtown) that offers many options.

Best wishes.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Hi klmrocks,

I converted to Islam last summer; so I'm really into Middle Eastern food. However, on the first night I'm in Toronto I'll be going to Alexandria Halal Mediterranean Seafood and on Saturday, April 9 I'll be going to Sultan's Tent. So, I want to vary it up a little

I'm Irish and Italian, so I do like Italian food. In the past, my grandma made me Italian food without pork and my mom makes the Italian food now without pork (she'll put pork on the side for her and dad to take). I also like Japanese, American, German, French, Turkish, pretty much anything really.

I've never been to Tim Hortons and have thought about checking them out for lunch. Is Lawrence Market far from Rogers Centre? They seem to have a lot of eclectic eateries there! I am from the suburbs of Philadelphia and Lawrence Market almost reminds me of the Reading Terminal Market in Philadelphia.

Jessica

Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM

LOL ... I am going to get told about this, but I would try Tim Hortons for the experience but I personally hate the whole chain (sorry fellow Canadians ... the quality is low end, but I guess better then some other chains. It is usually clean and efficient). I would suggest trying it just for the shake of it. My American family likes the coffee, but I don't personally drink coffee so I am not expert in that area.

There are lots of Halah options in Toronto. I can walk to St Lawerence Market and think it is walkable. It is 100% worth going to. A personal favourite there is Buskers Sea Cove. It is open even when the Market is not open. Great quick service place. Great sea food and comes with tasty salad or fries. Toronto has a lot to offer in Terms of food. I would really encourage you to walk around further then the area you are staying in. Toronto is a pretty safe city. Easy to explore by foot or by TTC. If you have time for an adventure I would also suggest Kensington Market. A lot of restaurants in Toronto are Halah.

The Best Halal Restaurants in Toronto: 2014 Edition : Halal ...

In the downtown area there are several Paramount Fine Foods locations

Lebanese Food Bakery Toronto – Shawarma Mississauga ...

One Near Young and Dundas Square and one In Yorkville. The restaurant in clean, trendy with pretty good food and everything is halah.

Toronto also have several popular fast food chains that are halah Hero Burger (there is one at Nathan Phillips Square) and actually many of the food trucks near the square offer halah food.

Hero Certified Burgers | Real. Good Burgers

Toronto has actually a lot of restaurants that offer halah that do not just make Middles Eastern food, but North American food, Chinese Food, Thai Food, Persian Food, Indian or Pakistani Food and West Indian/ Caribbean food. Toronto is a city that has internal foods everywhere. We have something for every preference.

There is this Thai Halah restaurant I personally really like called

Sukhothai

They have 3 locations in the city. I have been to the one on Parliament Street and there is also one near St. Lawerence Market.

Seriously if you like food you can find just about anything in Toronto. Last time a check I did not think Sultan's tent offered Halah, but there is 100% pork free options. I have heard that restaurant is better for the experience then the food. We have better halah food in Toronto. I am also really bias as I have family in Morocco and stuff cooked by family is way better then anything you will find in a restaurant !

There is seriously lost to see and do as a tourist in this city that you can do walking or taking the public transit in this city. If you are here on a weekend you can get a all day bus pass for $12 and it is good for up to 2 adults and 2-3 kids all day for unlimited travel. Our transit system is pretty easy compared to some other major cities.

I hope you have a great time.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
LOL ... I am going to get told about this, but I would try Tim Hortons for the experience but I personally hate the whole chain (sorry fellow Canadians ... the quality is low end, but I guess better then some other chains. It is usually clean and efficient). I would suggest trying it just for the shake of it. My American family likes the coffee, but I don't personally drink coffee so I am not expert in that area.

There are lots of Halah options in Toronto. I can walk to St Lawerence Market and think it is walkable. It is 100% worth going to. A personal favourite there is Buskers Sea Cove. It is open even when the Market is not open. Great quick service place. Great sea food and comes with tasty salad or fries. Toronto has a lot to offer in Terms of food. I would really encourage you to walk around further then the area you are staying in. Toronto is a pretty safe city. Easy to explore by foot or by TTC. If you have time for an adventure I would also suggest Kensington Market. A lot of restaurants in Toronto are Halah.

The Best Halal Restaurants in Toronto: 2014 Edition : Halal ...

In the downtown area there are several Paramount Fine Foods locations

Lebanese Food Bakery Toronto – Shawarma Mississauga ...

One Near Young and Dundas Square and one In Yorkville. The restaurant in clean, trendy with pretty good food and everything is halah.

Toronto also have several popular fast food chains that are halah Hero Burger (there is one at Nathan Phillips Square) and actually many of the food trucks near the square offer halah food.

Hero Certified Burgers | Real. Good Burgers

Toronto has actually a lot of restaurants that offer halah that do not just make Middles Eastern food, but North American food, Chinese Food, Thai Food, Persian Food, Indian or Pakistani Food and West Indian/ Caribbean food. Toronto is a city that has internal foods everywhere. We have something for every preference.

There is this Thai Halah restaurant I personally really like called

Sukhothai

They have 3 locations in the city. I have been to the one on Parliament Street and there is also one near St. Lawerence Market.

Seriously if you like food you can find just about anything in Toronto. Last time a check I did not think Sultan's tent offered Halah, but there is 100% pork free options. I have heard that restaurant is better for the experience then the food. We have better halah food in Toronto. I am also really bias as I have family in Morocco and stuff cooked by family is way better then anything you will find in a restaurant !

There is seriously lost to see and do as a tourist in this city that you can do walking or taking the public transit in this city. If you are here on a weekend you can get a all day bus pass for $12 and it is good for up to 2 adults and 2-3 kids all day for unlimited travel. Our transit system is pretty easy compared to some other major cities.

I hope you have a great time.
Thank you! Yeah, I read Sultan's Tent was more for the show, but their food is safe. I look forward to seeing the belly dancing - the last time I saw a belly dancing show was at a Moroccan restaurant near where I live with my Arabic class. It was 5 years ago. I look forward to it.

I'll check out the Thai place! I'll have to look at the other links you provided. Thanks again.

I am staying at a Bed & Breakfast near High Park. It's called Indian Grove. They serve a vegetarian breakfast and it had really great reviews. I'm just really looking forward to my trip. Also, can I pre-buy passes for TTC? If so, where can I buy them? Where can I get currency? TD Bank is my bank, so maybe I'll just go there.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:34 AM

Hi. The place you are staying at is right beside the subway station. Around that area there are lots of cool cafes and places to eat as well. You are literally a few minutes walk from the subway so you can get just your day passes. Day passes sold Monday to Friday on non-holiday days. No need to get them in advance. When you walk in to the subway to get to the train the you get them at ticket/fare both.

Here is the information...

https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/...Pass/index.jsp
Day Pass

Unlimited one day travel

Day Pass $12.00Group / Family

Group / Family Day Passes are available for use on Saturday, Sunday, or statutory holidays. Passes are valid from the date shown on the pass until 5:30 a.m. the next day.
1 adult and not more than 5 youths 19 years of age or under;
OR
2 adults and not more than 4 youths 19 years of age or under;
OR
2 adults.
Single

Single Day Passes are available for use any day of the week, including statutory holidays. Passes are valid from the date shown on the pass until 5:30 a.m. the next day. Good for one person.
E-Ticketing

A new E-Ticketing option is now available to make taking the TTC easier for customers. You can now purchase either a Single Day Pass or Group/Family Pass using the TTCconnect app on your iOS or Android device. Learn more about TTCconnect E-Ticketing.
General Information

Extra fare is required for Downtown Express routes and contracted routes operated by the TTC outside the City of Toronto.
You can avoid the hassles of driving and the high cost of parking downtown.
In addition, free parking may be available at TTC Commuter Parking Lots all day Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays. Some conditions apply - See Parking for complete details.
You can buy the TTC Day Pass in advance at all subway stations or participating TTC Fare Agents.

This is great very cheap way to get around this city and explore.

There is also this very cool/ tasty burger place in Kensignton Market called

The Burgernator
269 Augusta Avenue
Kensington Market
The Burgernator

Cool vibe. Trendy and tasty.

This is one think I love about Toronto vs some other places I have been too. Eating enthic food or cultural food in this city does not mean you have to lower your standards in terms of the dining experience. You can get food that meet your religious or cultural preferences without being limited to little hole in the wall places. You can experience trendy or fine dining as well. Mind you I give no discredit to the hole in the wall places as they often produce amaazing food sold at great prices, but sometimes you just want to enjoy a nice trendy or higher end space when dining out.

I have a visitor from France that visited by Paris that follows Halah and he really enjoyed the options available in the that city that are halah. There are a lot places that do not list they use halah meat.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:27 PM

This is great to know, thank you! I am going to be going to Mosque service that Friday (I haven't heard back from the Imam, but some Muslim friends said it would be okay to just go and introduce myself when I get there). It's on Danforth Avenue. Are there eating or activity places on Danforth in case I arrive too early?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:15 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
This is great to know, thank you! I am going to be going to Mosque service that Friday (I haven't heard back from the Imam, but some Muslim friends said it would be okay to just go and introduce myself when I get there). It's on Danforth Avenue. Are there eating or activity places on Danforth in case I arrive too early?
You don't have to ask permission. You can show up at any mosque and you should not be turned away. Is there not one closer?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You don't have to ask permission. You can show up at any mosque and you should not be turned away. Is there not one closer?
I just googled mosques in Toronto. The one I settled on looked really welcoming. It's about 24 minutes by bus. Let me message you.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:11 PM

Default Toronto Mosques

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I just googled mosques in Toronto. The one I settled on looked really welcoming. It's about 24 minutes by bus. Let me message you.
We have a lots of mosques in Toronto. You are literally passing by many to get to this one. I have never heard ot any or any other places churches, synagogues, temples in Toronto being unwelcoming. When you search these places search on the google map.

There are 2 mosques close to where you are staying.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/mo...g=dbrw&newdg=1

1. Jami Mosque
55 Boustead Avenue
Toronto, ON M6R 1Y9

Walkig distance to the place you are staying.

2. Albanian Mosque
564 Annette St
Toronto, ON M6S 2C2

Somes moques in the city are bigger then others. Search Moques Toronto on google maps and it will point out many. There are some that are larger and more ornate buildings. I kid you not every pocket of Toronto has a 1 or 2 moques or halah restaurants. We even have a Islamic Museum https://www.agakhanmuseum.org/. I have not been yet, but might check out on the weekend. Please note I am not suggesting any mosque I am just talking about geographics (please note you are getting advise from a Agnostic person raised Roman Catholic that just happens to know about these types of things as I know a lot of people that are Muslim in Toronto.

This city will pleasantly surprise you. We have just about any and everything here if you know where to look.

Best wishes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto