Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I am in the camp that agrees that there is no identity conflict in Canada when it comes to the US.
Canadians know who they are and I am comfortable with that concept. My main issue is how terribly shi*ty the rest of the world is covered in the Canadian media. Maybe dialing back the US focus and starting to look a little beyond next door would help break away from the perception that Canadians are obsessed with the US (not saying I agree but the perception is there).

Honestly even in the 3rd world country I am from, the newspapers have superior international coverage than any daily paper I have read in Canada. I will have to exclude the papers written in French because that is a language I am unable to read proficiently.
Agree. I don't think there is some inherent identity conflict among Canadians. Especially in light of the recent circus shows south of the border, I think Canadians can comfortably be proud of what they are.

In fact, and on the country, a place like Toronto is starting show case a unique identity that is becoming increasingly visible in and outside of Canada: Toronto's increasingly recognized stature as a leading progressive city of commerce, world culture, and attraction for tech startups, Drake's Toronto-centric albums on the many colorful and diverse Toronto neighborhoods, massive civic and transit expansion projects, and even the Jay's recent wins that have caused a surge in Toronto and Canadian pride. If that's a sign of "identify crisis"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 01:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
I don't disagree and thankfully we can access different sources from around the globe. I do find that the print version of certain newspapers is higher quality than their online version at times though.

The problem is many people are not very curious and it's easy to just sit down and watch the nightly news and that is the extent of their exposure. This is the case in the US as well (as I mentioned earlier). This is why amazing stations like Al Jazeera failed after a run in the US, the audience wasn't there for an accurate protrayal of the Middle East vs the typical American spin. I find the Canadian media equally as negligent when covering the Middle East.

So we need to keep in mind that not everyone is like you and I.
I wholly agree. People are intellectually lazy, and after years or decades of exposure to the same media source, their brains are completely stiff and incapable of accepting anything different from what their news fed them all the time. But governments love stupid people, don't they? It is way easy to government them than those who actually think independently.

Al Jazeera is an excellent example and I love to watch the Head to head talk show. Very objective and many debates are brilliant. I highly recommend it to Canadians. Try to learn some real facts, but just western centered stories. It is the kind of talk shows that make one think and become smarter, not CNN - again, who watch CNN? Apparently many Canadians even consider it their primary news source, which is such a sad thing.

Apparently Europeans have the same problem. There was a debate before where I said to solve the problem of the Middle East, countries like the US UK should just back off first. Those Americans and British looked at me dumbfounded as if I were alien, because they firmly believe their countries are doing the region a good deed and the world can't survive without their military forces.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:41 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I wholly agree. People are intellectually lazy, and after years or decades of exposure to the same media source, their brains are completely stiff and incapable of accepting anything different from what their news fed them all the time. But governments love stupid people, don't they? It is way easy to government them than those who actually think independently.

Al Jazeera is an excellent example and I love to watch the Head to head talk show. Very objective and many debates are brilliant. I highly recommend it to Canadians. Try to learn some real facts, but just western centered stories. It is the kind of talk shows that make one think and become smarter, not CNN - again, who watch CNN? Apparently many Canadians even consider it their primary news source, which is such a sad thing.

Apparently Europeans have the same problem. There was a debate before where I said to solve the problem of the Middle East, countries like the US UK should just back off first. Those Americans and British looked at me dumbfounded as if I were alien, because they firmly believe their countries are doing the region a good deed and the world can't survive without their military forces.
Sure everyone is dumb and stupid and lazy and brainwashed. Only Botti has been graced with the light of God and knows the way forward.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:35 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Sure everyone is dumb and stupid and lazy and brainwashed. Only Botti has been graced with the light of God and knows the way forward.
Stop being so bitter. Maybe you need a hug from Hilary clinton

Old 11-26-2016, 08:40 PM

400 posts, read 422,590 times
Quote:
I am in the camp that agrees that there is no identity conflict in Canada when it comes to the US.
Canadians know who they are and I am comfortable with that concept. My main issue is how terribly shi*ty the rest of the world is covered in the Canadian media. Maybe dialing back the US focus and starting to look a little beyond next door would help break away from the perception that Canadians are obsessed with the US (not saying I agree but the perception is there).

Honestly even in the 3rd world country I am from, the newspapers have superior international coverage than any daily paper I have read in Canada. I will have to exclude the papers written in French because that is a language I am unable to read proficiently.
Man, is that ever the truth. I'm so happy I'm able to understand French, Spanish and italian as I access their media a lot online. Al Jazeera and even RT (Russia Today), both with english editions, provide me with an interesting slant that balances the Anglo-saxon economically liberal tradition, with which I personally have a lot of problems. In the anglo saxon world, for example, it seems to me that the prevailing view is that individuals should sacrifice themselves for "the economy", as if it were some idol or god, even if by doing so Real People are degraded and hurt unnecessarily.

So glad that I now have all this at my disposal via the internet nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto