Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 08:44 PM

615 posts, read 600,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Once the bubble bursts, I doubt this country's queen city's dirty secret, as revealed in the following televised documentary, will not a/effect either the rest of the country or the foreign newscomers who now dominate said burg's composition, especially since no follow-up revealing any favourable outcome exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMtjf0rYlQ4

..although I myself do hope it altogether be more a Canadian problem than a Canadien one .. wouldn`t you?
lol the rest of Canada and perhaps Montrealers seem jealous of the ever growing Toronto skyline.

There is no "bubble", Toronto's Q3 condo vacancy rate was 0.6% with demand outstripping supply and rents up 9% YoY:

Quote:
This lack of availability, Urbanation says, is sending condo rents skyward, with the number of units renting for above asking price, more than doubling from a year ago.

Overall, condo rents rose nine per cent in the third quarter compared to the same period last year, with the average condo now renting for $29.14 per square metre ($2.71 per square foot), or $1,986 per month.

"The rental market has become severely undersupplied, which is likely to worsen following the latest round of mortgage insurance rule changes," said Shaun Hildebrand, Urbanation's senior vice-president, in a widely disseminated news release.

At the same time, Urbanation's survey of newer, purpose-built rental apartments (completed since 2005) found a vacancy rate of just 0.6 per cent.
Condo rents in the GTA soar as demand outstrips supply - Business - CBC News

Toronto's downtown is an incredible place to live and demand is growing. Development is also proceeding at a feverish pace to keep up, with new proposals making their way through regularly, the latest being just this month with 2 Carleton street for two 72 storey towers rising 233m each.

The Yonge st. corridor and especially around College Park is going to look completely different by 2020, including the nation's first supertall residential tower at Bloor.

Truly an exciting time for Toronto.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-24-2016 at 08:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM

93 posts, read 96,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
lol the rest of Canada and perhaps Montrealers seem jealous of the ever growing Toronto skyline.
Truly an exciting time for Toronto.
Nice picture. But to say the rest of Canada is JEALOUS and single out Montréal. I see as over the top boasting and insulting to the rest of Canada. Maybe in Western Canada they feel Ottawa caters to Toronto more? But I would not say others are jealous of one of their cities attaining to a World-Class status.

I can't imagine in the States other cities residents are truly Jealous of NYC's status as the World's city and growth and renewal? If two cities have a bit of a rivalry? For example, you hear there being a bit of one between Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth regions. I don't think it is they are jealous of each other.

If anything. I believe Torontonians might be jealous more Americans and possibly Europeans? Would rather visit Montréal and rate it higher in beauty then Toronto? I surely see nothing Vancouverites (is this a word LOL) have to be jealous of Toronto for at all. They have the milder weather and majestic scenery.

I am one who would rather visit Montréal and Vancouver with Seattle (being so close) on a trip in choices.

***I also feel it is time to create a OFFICIAL "Toronto in 2020" or Toronto 2030" thread.
For boasting of new projects coming and all things to boast about Toronto's status and offerings today. Instead of using this thread that post HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHICAGO as it originally began as. Its old news on population.

Last edited by JustGoForIt; 10-25-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoForIt View Post
Nice picture. But to say the rest of Canada is JEALOUS and single out Montréal. I see as over the top boasting and insulting to the rest of Canada. Maybe in Western Canada they feel Ottawa caters to Toronto more? But I would not say others are jealous of one of their cities attaining to a World-Class status.

I can't imagine in the States other cities residents are truly Jealous of NYC's status as the World's city and growth and renewal? If two cities have a bit of a rivalry? For example, you hear there being a bit of one between Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth regions. I don't think it is they are jealous of each other.

If anything. I believe Torontonians might be jealous more Americans and possibly Europeans? Would rather visit Montréal and rate it higher in beauty then Toronto? I surely see nothing Vancouverites (is this a word LOL) have to be jealous of Toronto for at all. They have the milder weather and majestic scenery.

I am one who would rather visit Montréal and Vancouver with Seattle (being so close) on a trip in choices.

***I also feel it is time to create a OFFICIAL "Toronto in 2020" or Toronto 2030" thread.
For boasting of new projects coming and all things to boast about Toronto's status and offerings today. Instead of using this thread that post HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH CHICAGO as it originally began as. Its old news on population.
No there has always been a rivalry between Montreal and Toronto.

Montreal used to be to Canada what Toronto is now, it was the city's largest and premier metropolis. It was an older and more populous city. All the major banks were HQed there.

Then the separatists got vocal, and it scared off the banks, who moved to Toronto, and slowly Toronto overtook Montreal. And now these guys are pissed, they can't stand seeing TO not only be the cultural, economic, and media capital of Canada, but also continue to grow and prosper.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,062 times
Quote:
Then the separatists got vocal, and it scared off the banks, who moved to Toronto, and slowly Toronto overtook Montreal. And now these guys are pissed, they can't stand seeing TO not only be the cultural, economic, and media capital of Canada, but also continue to grow and prosper.
I wish that didn't happen. Separatism ruined all the good things from Quebec. Imagine if Montreal were still the premier city of Canada. I feel like Canada would have been a much more cultural and unique place. And if Toronto was number 2, it may have been a better city than it is now and the negatives of overcrowding and smog probably wouldn't be there either. It would have been a win-win.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:00 PM

295 posts, read 264,082 times
Quote:

Montreal used to be to Canada what Toronto is now, it was the city's largest and premier metropolis. It was an older and more populous city. All the major banks were HQed there.

By what criteria do you consider Toronto is a cultural capital of Canada?

Montreal, for example, has a word class symphonic orchestra with one of the top conductors. On the other hand, Toronto has a mediocre orchestra (TSO), which is quite strange for such big and rich city (I was expecting something similar to Cleveland or Chicago Symphony Orchestras).

Same goes to the museums - Montreal and Ottawa have better and more interesting fine art museums.

Yes, Toronto has more banks and more money, however it is quite mediocre culturally.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Well Montréal may not be the cultural Capital of ALL Canada today. But is still one of your TRUE city's of Culture and its French Flavor is a asset. The US has the French Quarter of New Orleans. It's too party oriented to be a Cultural center. But its French flavor and quaint architecture. Is Still seen as a asset to preserve.

But you have to admit that feeling being abandoned by Anglo-Canada's banking media. Holds some resentment. In the US Midwest and Eastern cities were devastated during the 50s beginnings thru the 60s 70s with the great African-American migration from the southern US. Leading to strife and businesses and White-Flight from whole neighborhoods depressing these cities as also manufacturing left. Downtowns also of major cities lost much too and blight began. Many lost all their retail there too.

All this while Toronto was had a steady rise since the 1950s. Giving a boost apparently in Montréal's loss.
Even NYC was bankrupt in 1975. Times Square was XXX Shops and prostitutes. Chicago's once Majestic movie palaces began to show the seedy movies and many closed. Its main shopping street then lost virtually all their retail. Cleveland suffered too and Detroit never ended till recently.

But now the Southern cities are rising faster then most Midwest and Northeast cities but NYC in population. But JEALOUSIES ? No. Its a nation in constant change. Heck the number of unskilled Mexican and other Latino illegal immigration. Has lead to more illegal ones then the whole population of Canada.

But Toronto and other cities. Were able to have a steady growth with Toronto by far. Professionals quickly able to immigrate. Maybe US cities should resent Toronto? Especially those where radical racial change and still growing Latino migration north to these cities. Is something Europe only recently experienced in mass entry of North Africans and Syrian refugees. Again Canada may take in many. But it is a huge country too for even a couple hundred thousand.

It is sometimes why Torontonians boasting of besting Chicago and see basically most US cities in skyscrapers by international investments for quick profits. Is not looked at with all congrats.
So your comeback on how Montréal's loss was a big boost for Toronto. DOES NOT SEEM AS SOMETHING TO COMPLEMENT AND BOAST OF. Sorry

Seeing other post in reply to yours before mine post. Sure seems others agree LESSENING MONTRÉAL and A WIN FOR TORONTO is MIXED in views.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I wish that didn't happen. Separatism ruined all the good things from Quebec. Imagine if Montreal were still the premier city of Canada. I feel like Canada would have been a much more cultural and unique place. And if Toronto was number 2, it may have been a better city than it is now and the negatives of overcrowding and smog probably wouldn't be there either. It would have been a win-win.
That probably would never have happened even without separatism. Quebec and francophones have always been proud of the French language. That alone would have precluded Montreal from becoming Canada's premier city. Afterall, Montreal is in a predominantly anglophone country/continent and any kind of barrier - whether it be cultural or language - would be seen as a barrier to business mobility, and large multinational corporations would automatically see that as an added operational cost (e.g. I worked for a multinational tech company that had to maintain a relatively large staff of English/French translators in their Montreal office in order to comply with French language laws, as all company communications had to be bilingual - that wouldn't be an issue outside of Quebec). A city like Toronto, only 250 miles west of Montreal, with developed transportation and infrastructure, is almost a no-brainer for Canadian and foreign multi-nationals who want access to the larger ROC and North American market. Separatist politics and Rene Levesque didn't cause the exodus, they simply were the last straw that sealed Montreal's fate.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoForIt View Post
Well Montréal may not be the cultural Capital of ALL Canada today. But is still one of your TRUE city's of Culture and its French Flavor is a asset. The US has the French Quarter of New Orleans. It's too party oriented to be a Cultural center. But its French flavor and quaint architecture. Is Still seen as a asset to preserve.

But you have to admit that feeling being abandoned by Anglo-Canada's banking media. Holds some resentment. In the US Midwest and Eastern cities were devastated during the 50s beginnings thru the 60s 70s with the great African-American migration from the southern US. Leading to strife and businesses and White-Flight from whole neighborhoods depressing these cities as also manufacturing left. Downtowns also of major cities lost much too and blight began. Many lost all their retail there too.

All this while Toronto was had a steady rise since the 1950s. Giving a boost apparently in Montréal's loss.
Even NYC was bankrupt in 1975. Times Square was XXX Shops and prostitutes. Chicago's once Majestic movie palaces began to show the seedy movies and many closed. Its main shopping street then lost virtually all their retail. Cleveland suffered too and Detroit never ended till recently.

But now the Southern cities are rising faster then most Midwest and Northeast cities but NYC in population. But JEALOUSIES ? No. Its a nation in constant change. Heck the number of unskilled Mexican and other Latino illegal immigration. Has lead to more illegal ones then the whole population of Canada.

But Toronto and other cities. Were able to have a steady growth with Toronto by far. Professionals quickly able to immigrate. Maybe US cities should resent Toronto? Especially those where radical racial change and still growing Latino migration north to these cities. Is something Europe only recently experienced in mass entry of North Africans and Syrian refugees. Again Canada may take in many. But it is a huge country too for even a couple hundred thousand.

It is sometimes why Torontonians boasting of besting Chicago and see basically most US cities in skyscrapers by international investments for quick profits. Is not looked at with all congrats.
So your comeback on how Montréal's loss was a big boost for Toronto. DOES NOT SEEM AS SOMETHING TO COMPLEMENT AND BOAST OF. Sorry

Seeing other post in reply to yours before mine post. Sure seems others agree LESSENING MONTRÉAL and A WIN FOR TORONTO is MIXED in views.
I'm not boasting, I'm telling you about the real rivalry between the two cities. Also if there ever is a place for boasting Toronto, it's here in the Toronto forum.

Most Canadians or Montrealers are not jealous of or hate Toronto. It's a very small minority in Quebec with separatist leanings who are furious that an anglo city like Toronto has taken the helm as Canada's largest and most important city.

Aside from that there are friendly sibling rivalries among Canadian cities and their citizens as with every other country.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not boasting, I'm telling you about the real rivalry between the two cities. Also if there ever is a place for boasting Toronto, it's here in the Toronto forum.
Most Canadians or Montrealers are not jealous of or hate Toronto. It's a very small minority in Quebec with separatist leanings who are furious that an anglo city like Toronto has taken the helm as Canada's largest and most important city.

Aside from that there are friendly sibling rivalries among Canadian cities and their citizens as with every other country.
Glad you clarified that. Then it's merely like a Dallas and Houston type of friendly rivalry. Great
But still Toronto wins on ALL fronts?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 PM

909 posts, read 1,154,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
That probably would never have happened even without separatism. Quebec and francophones have always been proud of the French language. That alone would have precluded Montreal from becoming Canada's premier city. Afterall, Montreal is in a predominantly anglophone country/continent and any kind of barrier - whether it be cultural or language - would be seen as a barrier to business mobility, and large multinational corporations would automatically see that as an added operational cost (e.g. I worked for a multinational tech company that had to maintain a relatively large staff of English/French translators in their Montreal office in order to comply with French language laws, as all company communications had to be bilingual - that wouldn't be an issue outside of Quebec). A city like Toronto, only 250 miles west of Montreal, with developed transportation and infrastructure, is almost a no-brainer for Canadian and foreign multi-nationals who want access to the larger ROC and North American market. Separatist politics and Rene Levesque didn't cause the exodus, they simply were the last straw that sealed Montreal's fate.
Without separatism, Canada would be defined more by both French and English, not English only with the exception of Quebec as it is now. Without separatism, Quebec would hold onto its culture and Canada would be more unique and known around the world with having French as its primary language (and English in the rest of Canada as well). Having a city with a different language as the nation's main city would have been much better. It's not like if Bill 101 didn't happen, people in Quebec would stop speaking French. Yes there would be more English, but the french language and Quebecois culture would always be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto