Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 08:43 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Everything you've said about Toronto can be said about pretty much any other city. God knows there is more than enough critiques we can make about Montreal and not just transit development woes but also its governance/corruption etc etc. We can all assess a weak spot or weak spots about any city or really anything and constantly harp on it to the nth degree. Anyone looking at your post history about Toronto would see that prior to your 8 month vacation from C/D you were largely singing the praises of the city. I remember who was it - a guy from Chicago called you Toronto Kid instead of Bostonkid because he seen you as impossibly 'homeristic' about the city.

Fact is, I know your pre vacation C/D persona versus your post C/D vacation persona. You're not fooling me tbh honest. I'm not going to shoot down every critique one makes of Toronto but you've decided at least recently to make it your crusade. Any city has its issues but you've taken on another level as late with it that is incongruent with your 'pre-vacation' persona so yeah it makes one think - what is this guy all about - what is driving this and is it something more than just objective critique. At least now one knows what to expect from you about the city because to be honest, based on post history of the past and post history now its been pretty confusing.

Speaking of confusing - as for your personal life - YES be open about who you really are at all times in life. Being an inconsistent C/D persona is one thing - being fake about who you are is a completely other thing. As for relationship building and trust - perhaps you should look at your own actions and how you relate to people for them to respect that trust and hold it dear because quite frankly, your approach in that regard simply doesn't warrant it. If I thought you warranted respecting a so called trust pact - you would have had it! In the end - it was a ridiculous expectation any way - just be yourself. If there was no shame you wouldn't put those you know in an awkward position in the first place. Fact is, if you wanted to enjoy your time here in the city, you would have made more of a concerted effort to live in the best part of it for people like us. Hint - not Etobicoke and not far away from the subway at the very least. You didn't give it a fair shake and I see that as a lost opportunity you didn't capitalize on that you should have. If that is something that is 'unsolicited' so be it. Sometimes unsolicited advice is deserved.

I'm just waiting for you to become frustrated with the next adopted city you move to.. At first its love at first sight and than a quick transition to a scathing indictment. It wouldn't surprise me whatever city that is once it falls short of your expectations. Next.

I'll certainly keep my eye open for a mid sized MNC that has or will be moving what was it - over a 1000 professional jobs to Montreal from Toronto - there should be something in the news about that. Not saying you're lying but I want to see it because it seems like a coincidence given the context of our little exchange in here.
Seems that I can't stop you from speculating on my professional and personal life, and divulging personal details on a public forum. I've said it twice already not to pull my personal life, relationship status, and sexual orientation preferences into a public forum and discussion. I told you those things, about where I live, what I do, my relationship status, all in private, personal conversations from a year ago in confidentiality - I don't know why you think you have the right to divulge all of that on a public forum? Just wow.

I will say no more but remind you of the following C-D forum rules:

Quote:
"Outing" users by revealing their address, phone number, or other personal information that they didn't themselves share on our forum is prohibited.

No personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by bostonkid123; 07-12-2016 at 08:56 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Statistics are one thing and built up area is another. When you are in a city you are in its built up areas. you are not in statistics.
Yes, but the statistics don't reflect the reality. That's all I'm saying.

Going off pure statistics, Ottawa is sparsely populated.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Yes, but the statistics don't reflect the reality. That's all I'm saying.

Going off pure statistics, Ottawa is sparsely populated.
of course it is

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course it is

Do you see that vacant land in the upper left? It's areas like there that contribute to its "sparseness".

Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 AM

283 posts, read 259,753 times
Quote:
Montreal is dense but it peters out in density fairly quickly once outside the city proper. It also is quite sprawled out in itself. It certainly doesn't have exceptionally beautiful sprawl Once you get outside the dense urban core. You see the same crappy sprawl stuff as anywhere else. Actually imo the city with the best suburban sprawl in N.A is Boston. My opinion sure - but its the best looking sprawl I've seen on the continent. That said, Montreal urban core isn't much less dense that Toronto's but at this point Toronto's growth has put it over the top.. As you go into suburbia it isn't even close - Toronto has probably the most dense suburban areas in N.A that would even rival L.A. I read its suburban areas even eclipse L.A in density. Its not the best urban form I agree - but in the North American context Toronto's suburbia is very dense and probably among the most dense in the anglo world.

Old Toronto is growing and becoming rapidly much more dense than Montreal. I've posted pics in the official Toronto pics thread in the Toronto forum that is easy to look at - there are pages and pages - I think you'll find more of a better answer there than endless back and forth arguing over numbers and arbitrary values here. Pics as they say, speak a thousand words. Toronto's DT core alone is growing in population greater than most city propers in N.A let alone Old Toronto or Toronto city propers growth.

Fact is when it comes to impressive growth levels and density Toronto is high up there blending the two. Sure the Atlanta's and Houstons of the world are growing even greater than Toronto, but they are still much more sprawled out in build up and are accommodating their growth in a larger area. Some may say this is due to brilliant transit development as someone said of Dallas for example - like what - and an exceptional highway network - i'm left scratching my head saying how exactly!!??.. Now some will attack Toronto's transit woes to the nth degree and blame it all on that- and that may tell part of the story but on the whole, I think its simply the direction the city is going in terms of protecting its greenbelt and creating a more compact and dense urban area than pretty much any other city in Canamerica save for NYC. In 10, 20 years from now, knowing what I know of the city - I think that will be something that will be easy to see.
A good way to see density, at least for US cities is on this map:
The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Turning off the color coding makes it easier to tell the overall density. They used to have one of the US and Canada together but it seems to be down...

Old 07-12-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
A good way to see density, at least for US cities is on this map:
The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Turning off the color coding makes it easier to tell the overall density. They used to have one of the US and Canada together but it seems to be down...
What's interesting in this is when you have the view of the whole US, the density of the Atlanta and Piedmont Corridor (Atlanta to Winston-Salem around), is as densely populated as the Northeast. Only a small segment of rural Virginia separates the Bos-Was corridor from the Piedmont-Atlanta corridor and that is expanding as Northern VA around DC grows southward and Richmond grows southwards and northwards.

It's also surprising how densely populated the Cleveland to Pittsburgh corridor is.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course it is

Beautiful view by the way!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:59 PM

659 posts, read 898,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
No I went to Berlin for 8 months working for our EMEA division, and now I am planning a move to Montreal because our company is permanently moving our Canadian corporate head offices from Toronto to Quebec along with 1500+ white collar positions. No offense to Toronto but you aren't the "center of universe" for all multinationals based in Canada. Some of our largest corporate clients like Bombardier, Air Canada, SNC Lavelin, and Canada's largest pension funds are based in Montreal so naturally we are moving there. A big part has to do with transport, cost of living, and livability - most of our U.S. and European-based expats simply prefer working and visiting Montreal over Toronto (the results part of an internal company wide survey on relocation preferences) because of lower housing cost / lower office leasing cost, much better access to rapid transit throughout Montreal island/Old Port/Downtown with attractive (and equally affordable) neighborhoods like Plateau, Mont Royal, and Quartier de Spectacles, as well as other intangibles like the rich culture/history, relaxing pace of life (aka work-life-balance in corporate speak), and French language, not to mention access to new bilingual talents from McGill, HEC Montreal, University of Montreal, and UQaM (we are planning a big recruiting campaign in these universities for new graduates starting in September)

So to answer fusion's question, yes I am actually moving to Montreal along with 820+ of my Toronto-based colleagues/European/U.S. expats and 700+ more local hires in Montreal.
Congratulations! I hope everything works out well in Montreal.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:29 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Toronto does not have one of the highest murder rates in Canada. That is BS.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:01 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Toronto does not have one of the highest murder rates in Canada. That is BS.
I know, typical hyperbole as usual from him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto