Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the prospect of Toronto becoming a megacity concern you?
Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me 12 46.15%
No; I see the benefits of gaining more amenities, brands, retail options, infill, services, and increased diversity as a plus to it all 11 42.31%
I don't know much about megacities and the issues presented to cities of that size 2 7.69%
Other 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 11:53 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,246,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Toronto is very far from a megacity. So get over it.
The Toronto area is growing fast and will pass the 10 million mark sooner than you seem to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 12:21 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,377,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
The Toronto area is growing fast and will pass the 10 million mark sooner than you seem to think.
The GTA's projected to reach 9.5 million people by 2041: Ontario Population Projections Update

So it will be a good 30 years before it reaches 10 million, unless there's a rapid spike in the growth rate.

Meanwhile, the rest of the world's population will also be growing, and usually at a faster rate than the GTA's growing. There will be many cities with larger populations.

Toronto's growing, but relative to other cities worldwide, it will remain a mid-sized city.

Toronto can handle the growth. We're a relatively affluent country, and Toronto's got a decent tax base to draw from. The population growth is at a steady but manageable rate. If it isn't managed properly, well, there aren't many plausible excuses for messing it up...

Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 PM

287 posts, read 307,286 times
What is the obsession about becoming a mega city anyway? So the residents can laugh at people living in Kingston or Regina and congratulate themselves for living in a "mega-city"?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:14 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,748,117 times
Can't wait for it to be 10 million.
Concern? Maybe growing not fast enough.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:16 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,748,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
What is the obsession about becoming a mega city anyway? So the residents can laugh at people living in Kingston or Regina and congratulate themselves for living in a "mega-city"?
I think 10-15 million is great. Over 20 million that start to show all the problems.

Right now, GTA is too sparsely populated. Doubling the population would be most ideal.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,377,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think 10-15 million is great. Over 20 million that start to show all the problems.

Right now, GTA is too sparsely populated. Doubling the population would be most ideal.
GTA has a horrible case of urban sprawl. It's much too spread out. Everyone is obsessed with getting that detached single-family home, even if it means an insane amount of time wasted with a commute.

Toronto needs more density. Big time.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,523,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I'm trying to get local perceptions to this prospect because I am curious.

Does the idea of Toronto becoming a megacity (a metropolis of 10 million or more people) concern any of you?

I figure some people would hate the increased traffic, congestion, strain on infrastructure, and other challenges that fast growth and large population present to a city. I would imagine the people in this camp would think that what comes with that size is not worth it.

I also think other people would value the increased global portfolio, the entrance of more brands, companies, retail, restaurants, services, airlines, jobs and other things that come with a big city, especially a megacity. I would imagine these people would think that what comes with that size is worth it.

Your thoughts?
Hi,

Just curious why you asking this question. you did the same thing in the Chicago forum.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 PM

400 posts, read 423,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveagain View Post
That's Ok, just double or triple the tax rate, problem solved
Yeah, but you and I know that ain't gonna happen. It SHOULD happen, but this the City Of NO (!), after all.

I voted yes because of the monkeys crawling around city hall. If we had a halfway competent bunch down there, then I think it would be fine with me. Personally, I'd get out, though. I don't really want to live in a mega-city. I would prefer to live in an 1) efficient and thoughtful city 2) beautiful 3) vibrant and energetic city.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,865,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
I don't think he's referring the entire GTA amalgamating to form a single "mega" city, he simply means the Greater Toronto area growing to surpass 10 million people.
Oh, I get it. In that case, I think it's inevitable, regardless of what any of us want or thnk is good/bad. I'm not sure how long it will take, but my guess would be some time in the next fifteen years.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:12 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,246,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
GTA has a horrible case of urban sprawl. It's much too spread out. Everyone is obsessed with getting that detached single-family home, even if it means an insane amount of time wasted with a commute.

Toronto needs more density. Big time.
That's why the greenbelt around the GTA was established. The GTA is densifying.

Multi-family housing and hi-rise residential construction has been outpacing single family home construction for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto