Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 AM

391 posts, read 754,158 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Toronto next month. I have never been there before. I don't have any particular areas in mind. Where to live?

My budget for rent is around $2500 (for a 1 bedroom), maybe I could add a few hundred dollars more if really needed.

I like peace and quiet and cleanliness. I'm too old for bar hopping, shouting and screaming. Although I do like to have grocery stores (particularly organic stores) in close proximity.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 05:05 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
I'm moving to Toronto next month. I have never been there before. I don't have any particular areas in mind. Where to live?

My budget for rent is around $2500 (for a 1 bedroom), maybe I could add a few hundred dollars more if really needed.

I like peace and quiet and cleanliness. I'm too old for bar hopping, shouting and screaming. Although I do like to have grocery stores (particularly organic stores) in close proximity.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
When I moved to Toronto, I focused on 2 areas, High Park and The Beach.

Both are winners to me.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:50 PM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
also check out Roncesvalles Ave area, close to High Park. I lived there and recommend it. Close to the park, close to downtown, close to the beach, close to a lot of Polish bakeries and/or charcuterie shops (not sure whether they're gone now; hope not).

Enjoy your stay in T.O.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:54 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
When I moved to Toronto, I focused on 2 areas, High Park and The Beach.

Both are winners to me.
If you are young and under 30, and want an active, outgoing life, avoid High Park. As nice as High Park is, it's far from the center of activity and work (downtown). It's mostly single family mansions with the exception of the shops on Bloor West.

If you fit into the above age group, I recommend Liberty Village (lots of good condo choices), Yonge at Bloor, Yonge at St. Claire - or anywhere along Yonge south of Eglinton. 1. You are next to a subway line 2. There's endless row of shops and restaurants no matter where you are on Yonge 3. It has a much more bustling city feeling.

$2500 should be able to get you a very one bed apartment around Yonge Bloor or Yonge St. Claire with some money to spare.

Old 09-13-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
If you are young and under 30, and want an active, outgoing life, avoid High Park. As nice as High Park is, it's far from the center of activity and work (downtown). It's mostly single family mansions with the exception of the shops on Bloor West.

If you fit into the above age group, I recommend Liberty Village (lots of good condo choices), Yonge at Bloor, Yonge at St. Claire - or anywhere along Yonge south of Eglinton. 1. You are next to a subway line 2. There's endless row of shops and restaurants no matter where you are on Yonge 3. It has a much more bustling city feeling.

$2500 should be able to get you a very one bed apartment around Yonge Bloor or Yonge St. Claire with some money to spare.
Never mind, scratch all of that. I just reread your post and noticed that you like peace and quiet. In that case I would still recommend Yonge and St. Claire, but High Park is also a great choice esp. along Bloor Street West

Old 09-15-2016, 09:40 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
The Danforth might suit. Around the area we call "Greektown". Around Pape station. The problem would be finding an apartment--it would probably be a flat, i.e., part of a house. Nice area, quiet, lots of families, great organic food store, lots of restaurants. Not infested with university students like my area (the Annex.)

Old 09-17-2016, 12:13 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
also check out Roncesvalles Ave area, close to High Park. I lived there and recommend it. Close to the park, close to downtown, close to the beach, close to a lot of Polish bakeries and/or charcuterie shops (not sure whether they're gone now; hope not).

Enjoy your stay in T.O.
Roncesvalles is close to downtown?? It is pretty much on the edge of the city beyond which the street car doesn't even run any more.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,757 times
I don't live in Toronto and don't know much of the city, but my son has lived there for the past several years. He used to live in a condo in the downtown core, but for the past 3 years or so he and his gf have been living in Leslieville (not far from the Beaches). Just thought I'd put in a thumbs up for this area if you are looking for a quieter area. Personally I love cities, but find the larger ones (like Toronto) to be too loud, crowded...I'm at 'that age' where a little peace and quiet is invaluable. But I must say that of my stays in Leslieville, I've really enjoyed it. The streetcar makes the Beaches quite accessible, and going downtown not very long at all (I think it used to take my son about 15-20 minutes to get to work, going by streetcar from Leslieville to mid-downtown (Queen St W, a few blocks west of City Hall). Anyway, there are all sorts of nice little cafes and restaurants along Queen Street in Leslieville; it just seems a bit less crowded and more relaxing. And with the budget you have for rent, you should be able to find something quite nice.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Roncesvalles is close to downtown?? It is pretty much on the edge of the city beyond which the street car doesn't even run any more.
When I lived there, I could get downtown along Lakeshore Blvd. pretty quickly - like in about 20 minutes. 20 minutes to downtown was quick for me, especially as I used to live in Aurora (near Newmarket). Has that changed for the worse?

P.S. I liked the area because it was far enough from the core to be its own kind of village. It was next to the park, and it was close to a highway for when I needed to get out of dodge quickly. The Polish pastry shops were a big bonus too. I hate going to chain restaurants.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
When I lived there, I could get downtown along Lakeshore Blvd. pretty quickly - like in about 20 minutes. 20 minutes to downtown was quick for me, especially as I used to live in Aurora (near Newmarket). Has that changed for the worse?

P.S. I liked the area because it was far enough from the core to be its own kind of village. It was next to the park, and it was close to a highway for when I needed to get out of dodge quickly. The Polish pastry shops were a big bonus too. I hate going to chain restaurants.
More like 20-30 minutes these days. Gardner is constant traffic congestion. Lakeshore is hit and miss. At least 45 minutes or more by transit (streetcar). Roncesvalles is still in the city, but definitely not the most convenient especially when anything other than driving could easily take 40 min to an hour. There are many neighborhoods like King East, Liberty Village, Yonge St. Clair/Eglinton with far easier access to downtown and midtown Toronto. The key is to be next to a subway line. or relatively short streetcar ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto