Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:39 AM

10 posts, read 13,723 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

I'm an italian girl and I'm about to move to Toronto cause my husband lives there!
I have a bachelor's degree in Psychology and I would like to become a probation officer. I already know that I need to volunteer at a probation office before I apply to a job advertisment but, in the meanwhile, I would like to do some courses about the canadian law system, forensic psychology or something like that.
I'm not used to the canadian school system, so I was wondering if anyone might help me saying what is the best option for me..
Don't worry about the fact of being an international student, cause I'm actually getting the permanent resident status so I'm considered as a domestic student!

Thanks in advance to anyone who will help me!

Have a good one!

Alessandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:32 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
I only know how to get a probation officer.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Canada is a great country. We spend millions of dollars each year to publish information about things like "How to become a probation officer in Ontario ". I used that exact phrase on a Goggle search and guess what I found ?

This Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services :: Becoming a Probation and Parole Officer

It is a official information website, from the Provincial Government of Ontario...about HOW to become a probation officer in ONTARIO.

READ it, please.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 AM

10 posts, read 13,723 times
There's no need to be so rude, FIRST OF ALL.

I asked this question to have some practical examples, hoping to find guess who? A probation officer who might talk to me about the school path he took.

I already READ that website, by the way.

Try to look up for "How to become a NICE and POLITE man", let's see if you can learn something new.

My best regards,

Alessandra

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
He wasn't being rude at all. If you think his humour is rude then I would really re-evaluate my decision to move to Canada. He was actually quite helpful & gave you the answer to your question. If you've read that link already then you should know what to do. Maybe you should try reading it again.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Hi. I know 2 different people that work in that area. One went to Ryerson University in Toronto for social work and the other has a masters degree in somethings unrelated, that he got in England, but worked for some social service community program and now works in that type of role. He did not have to go to school in Canada after he immigrated, but in my opinion worked a job he was way over qualified for first. They both came from very different education backgrounds. One works for the city of Toronto and the other works outside of Toronto in Brampton I think. Both work with youth. Just so you know if you want to volunteer anywhere before finding work at least in Ontario and working with any group considered volunerable you need to get a police reference check that has been taken in the last 6 months ( even to be allowed to work for free/ volunteer). I would suggest you have a document like that handy to provide if look for anything work or volunteer experience when you come here. In my opinion if you live in Toronto it takes way too long to get a police reference check and this can really slow down a person's ability to work in certain areas. Best wishes.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:07 AM

298 posts, read 276,831 times
So you want to be a probation officer? Well I guess your going to have to do your research because you wont find any probation officer here to give you any advice, not to be rude or anything but the other posters werent trying to he rude to you, i think they were just trying to be helpful.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:35 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
We might all want to remember Canadian humor and sarcasm does not always translate too well :P!

Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 AM

13 posts, read 16,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar21 View Post
So you want to be a probation officer? Well I guess your going to have to do your research because you wont find any probation officer here to give you any advice, not to be rude or anything but the other posters werent trying to he rude to you, i think they were just trying to be helpful.
Actually, I'm a Probation Officer. I sent OP a PM a while back but haven't heard back! OP is off to a bad start! Hahaha.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:55 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
Lcat.

The original post is from 2015.....May be the OP has moved on to other things ?

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto