Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 10:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,809 times

Advertisements

hey all,

I'm a 30 year old married mother of two. my daughter is 3 and my son is 9. I'm looking into moving to Toronto coming from New York within the next 1-2 years. what areas would be the best for my family, especially my kids? I'm looking for an area that is quiet however I can easily access the downtown area Appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 06:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
There are too many. You need to be very very specific about want you and your family wants, because it's here. Toronto is one of the most livable cities in North America.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 PM

5,901 posts, read 6,109,153 times
Most neighbourhoods in Toronto have quiet areas. Maybe not right downtown or around King West, but even areas right next to downtown like Harbord Village and Cabbagetown have many quiet streets. The commercial streets are bustling, and the residential ones are quiet, and unlike some other cities, Toronto has very few streets that are a mix of the two.

In terms of access, I would still mainly to "Old Toronto" and maybe a few adjacent areas like East York and The Kingsway. You could potentially also add more distant neighbourhoods that have good GO train service, though those aren't so much better as more affordable, so it depends on your budget.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:42 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,861,044 times
I would recommend living near the subway or streetcar (preferably the subway, but some of Toronto's best nabes are accessible mainly by streetcar). I have lived all over the city, and these are my three picks that balance proximity to the subway with dense urban living, cultural and architectural diversity, lots of interesting shops, dining and nightlife, decent public schools, and a good blend of rental/owned properties. Since I last lived here ten years ago, the cost of living and especially housing has increased by more than 300% in some areas, and rents have doubled. Toronto is not the affordable city it once was, and many of the old residents who gave the city a sense of place and history cashed in on their houses and moved to the suburbs, leading to a revo-flipping frenzy that has pulled in wealthy young families from outside the city and the businesses that cater to them. Ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic diversity has taken a bit of a plunge in these areas, but they are still vibrant and close to all the large cultural institutions of the downtown. They are also, like the vast majority of Toronto, very safe areas to live in:

1. St. Clair West - great neighbourhood that is constantly improving, relatively inexpensive, diverse, close to all amenities, including the subway.
2. The Danforth — one of the largest Greek neighborhood outside of Greece. Easy access to the newly trendy and beautiful area of Riverdale. Lots of amenities, very diverse, urban in all the right way, and the whole area is within walking distance of the subway.
3. Bloor West (between Christie and Lansdowne) - The neighborhoods west of Christie are among Toronto's most diverse and interesting, with lots of cool new shops, restaurants, cafes mingling with older TO fixtures. The area between Ossington and Lansdowne is personally my fave. South to Harbord and north to Dupont, the residential areas in this zone provide easy access to the subway.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:48 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
North York would afford more space, lower cost of living (than downtown anyway) and access to the TTC.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:49 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,837 times
anywhere downtown.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
There are too many. You need to be very very specific about want you and your family wants, because it's here. Toronto is one of the most livable cities in North America.
Toronto, while it has plusses, is NOT one of the most liveable cities in North America, don't be fooled. The traffic is insane, it costs a holy fortune, jobs are hard to come by, and the weather gives you everything from nasty horrible cold to brutal heat and humidity.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:21 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Toronto, while it has plusses, is NOT one of the most liveable cities in North America, don't be fooled. The traffic is insane, it costs a holy fortune, jobs are hard to come by, and the weather gives you everything from nasty horrible cold to brutal heat and humidity.
I love it.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:46 PM

26 posts, read 25,725 times
the annex, st clair and yonge, leslieville, st clair west, riverdale are all neighbourhoods the are really great for young families who want that urban lifestyle.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:49 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraa View Post
the annex, st clair and yonge, leslieville, st clair west, riverdale are all neighbourhoods the are really great for young families who want that urban lifestyle.
Good list.

If you have lots of $ ...then I would add...Forest Hill....The Bridal Path.

And slightly lower scale...Baby Point, Swansea/High Park, Bloor West Village,
South Kingsway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto