Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yep, that makes Buffalo less attractive. Plus I really avoid going through any US city no matter no cheap it is (unless the destination is in the US). For example, if there is a flight to Shanghai form YYZ that goes through New York that is 300$ cheaper, I will pass.
One more thing I should add about those discount carriers out of Buffalo or Niagara Falls NY is that they are truly bare fare type of airlines. Once you start adding in baggage fees and other fees they can really add up. I have also found flights out of Buffalo to points in the U.S aren't as cheap as they used to be. I'm not even talking about the CAD to USD exchange. I remember even before that where you could score super cheap flights out of Buffalo.. I once flew Buffalo/SFO return for 236 CAD on Northwest (I really wanted to fly on a DC9 before they were retired) and Northwest kept those things flying longer than any airline in N.A. Anyway, Sure I had to connect in Detroit but for that fare I grabbed it as I have a friend in SFO. So, I think those days are gone and even in the U.S its more expensive to fly domestically than it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 07:25 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Don't make it complicated. Buying tickets this early is almost always more expensive than waiting. As the flights start to fill, the airlines will lower the prices on the less popular flights in order to fill them. Just keep an eye on the fares and when you see a price you like, buy it (best fares are usually 3 - 6 weeks out). Always try to look on weekends as that's when the best deals often appear. Meaning look hard to buy them on weekends, not necessarily to fly on weekends. Studies have shown that Sundays are the best day to buy tickets.

My guess is that if you don't mind taking an early morning or late flight, you'll find cheaper non-stop tickets than on a stopover. YMMV

Old 05-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Don't make it complicated. Buying tickets this early is almost always more expensive than waiting. As the flights start to fill, the airlines will lower the prices on the less popular flights in order to fill them. Just keep an eye on the fares and when you see a price you like, buy it (best fares are usually 3 - 6 weeks out). Always try to look on weekends as that's when the best deals often appear. Meaning look hard to buy them on weekends, not necessarily to fly on weekends. Studies have shown that Sundays are the best day to buy tickets.

My guess is that if you don't mind taking an early morning or late flight, you'll find cheaper non-stop tickets than on a stopover. YMMV
3-6 weeks is pretty close in. I'd keep an eye on flights earlier than that and if you see something that just clicks that this is a good deal I would snatch it at that point.. Sure you might get something slightly cheaper closer in but you'll be ****ting bricks wondering and if it doesn't happen on the particular route you're looking for you're screwed.

I'm not saying this is the wrong timeline but personally, I'd be looking at about month 4 b4 and keep my eye open daily and looking at various sites frequently at that point. I'd also add if you are flexible with dates this can save quite a bit as opposed to having rigid dates set.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM

just toying on expedia for ****s and giggles and put in MCO/YYZ return leaving oct 5 coming back oct 10 and the cheapest is AAL for 454 Cad (330 USD). I then changed the date of departure out of MCO to Oct 4 (Weds) also coming back on the 10th and the cheapest is DAL for 365 Cad (265 USD)... Flexibility with dates can save you quite a bit even 5 months out! Of course you have to connect but that is a given flying a U.S carrier out of MCO to Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto