Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:21 AM

117 posts, read 213,758 times

Advertisements

Hey there. I recently visited Toronto (drove from Detroit) for the first time in over 25 years and had an amazing time. I'm looking to return late October to run the Waterfront Marathon.

I live in Orlando, FL and have never flown out of the US before. Right now, a roundtrip nonstop flight runs for $378 on Air Canada although I can book on Orbitz with a direct to Toronto on AC and then a return on Delta (stopping in Detroit) for around $315.

October is still a ways off and booking early can come at a hefty price. Would it be smart to wait? I've never flown out of the US before so just wondering what it is typical. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
378 USD is a bit high, plus Oct is not even peak season.

I suggest you wait. You can track the price on google flight.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
There are many options you can explore if open to a short bus trip. Renting of a car on the American side can be a bit of a hassle but doable if you get prior understanding as regards taking it across the border.

Flying to Buffalo or Niagara Falls can be done far cheaper to connect with a routine bus route into Toronto.

Also explore the other Canadian airlines such as WestJet that fly out of Orlando.

There are also some commuter flights out of Buffalo that land at Toronto's Island airport I believe. This might be another option to consider in total costing exercise with the added fun of a very short ferry ride right to Downtown TO ferry dock.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

There are also some commuter flights out of Buffalo that land at Toronto's Island airport I believe. This might be another option to consider in total costing exercise with the added fun of a very short ferry ride right to Downtown TO ferry dock.
I don't think there is such a direct flight. Plus OP wants to save money. Taking a separate flight from Buffalo into Toronto will likely cost 300$ RT alone.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Hi,

If the dates you have to leave are not that specific I would suggest also checking out airlines like sunwing and air transat. They don't have as many flights, but you can get great during non-peak seasons when they vaction packages don't well out. Also flying with jet blue is always cheaper, but then you need to get to Toronto by bus or car. If you want to do a stop over in Niagra Falls to check it out consider flying to buffalo and then taking greyhond or mega bus in to Toronto. Unless you get a really cheap deal and not really seeing the benefit of booking so far in advance.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:14 PM

117 posts, read 213,758 times
I noticed flights on various dates in the month were averaging around that much. I thought maybe the marathon was driving up prices but not necessarily. So I think I'll wait 60-90 days and see where things stand. I don't mind paying a little more to fly directly to Toronto and utilizing the train / TTC. Not having to rent a car on this trip will definitely save me some money that I can allocate to the hotel / flight.

What's it like dealing with customs? I have TSA PRE and Air Canada does participate. I guess I should definitely allow more time in Orlando leaving to Canada and then for the departure?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:10 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy13 View Post
I noticed flights on various dates in the month were averaging around that much. I thought maybe the marathon was driving up prices but not necessarily. So I think I'll wait 60-90 days and see where things stand. I don't mind paying a little more to fly directly to Toronto and utilizing the train / TTC. Not having to rent a car on this trip will definitely save me some money that I can allocate to the hotel / flight.

What's it like dealing with customs? I have TSA PRE and Air Canada does participate. I guess I should definitely allow more time in Orlando leaving to Canada and then for the departure?
I think Botticelli gave great advice to hold off a bit and track on google flight! I normally find Expedia in Canada to have some pretty good prices and they can change daily so track and experiment with different sites. I also like Flighthub and skyscanner. Typically 3-4 months prior to your flight is the best time to book!! 315 USD for a return airfare isn't too bad really (even with a DAL stopover in Detroit on the way back) so i'm sure you'll see that go down a bit. Flying into Buffalo or Niagara Falls can be a pain though I do believe there is a bus service between Buffalo Airport and Toronto's airport. For me, saving a hundred bucks just to go through such hassle isn't worth it - time is important!

Flying into Toronto Pearson means you can take the train directly from the airport (Union Pearson Express) to DT and back for 12 bucks CAD each way (9 bucks if you sign up for a Presto Card at the airport) 25 minutes no muss no fuss.. Trains run every 15 minutes

Dealing with Customs at Toronto Pearson is a breeze. It is the largest Airport by far in Canada and CBSA staffing is generally very good and at peaks fully staffed with Dozens of agents both at Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 (If arriving on Air Canada you will arrive at Terminal 1). What is TSA Pre - are you talking Nexus here? Even without Nexus its still easy - you can queue with Canadians as an American (like we can queue with Americans at U.S ports of entry) so atleast you won't be lobbed in with 1000 people from China, Pakistan, India and Phillipines lol.. Toronto Pearson uses APTS kiosks like many airports in the U.S so it should be as familiar a process to you as arriving as an American into U.S Customs in the U.S. Depending on time of day you should clear Customs on a U.S inbound flight no longer than 30 minutes max.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-03-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think there is such a direct flight. Plus OP wants to save money. Taking a separate flight from Buffalo into Toronto will likely cost 300$ RT alone.
For sure!!!!

Problem with other airports in and around the GTA/Horseshoe save for Pearson is there isn't a lot of service from Orlando. You wouldn't be able to do direct service to Billy Bishop from Orlando - the Only aircraft operating at Bishop are Q400 turboprops which don't have the range. This instantly reduces options. I'd bet there is even more service between Toronto and Orlando than Buffalo and Orlando.

By the time OP spends the time and money on ground transportation for other airports its just not worth it at all (assuming he can even get cheaper airfare somewhere else which isn't necessarily guaranteed). I bet he'll shave another 40-60 bucks or more by just waiting a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Hi,

If the dates you have to leave are not that specific I would suggest also checking out airlines like sunwing and air transat. .
Only thing i'd caution about these charter outfits is that they are geared towards vacationers and not as much people looking for scheduled flights. Scheduled Carriers have far more resources to ensure that flights operate on time.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-03-2017 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For sure!!!!

Plus the ferry service is now dead at Billy Bishop - there is an underwater tunnel. Can tell BRU hasn't been in the T.Dot for awhile

Problem with other airports in and around the GTA/Horseshoe save for Pearson is there isn't a lot of service from Orlando. You wouldn't be able to do direct service to Billy Bishop from Orlando - the Only aircraft operating at Bishop are Q400 turboprops which don't have the range. I'd bet there is even more service between Toronto and Orlando than Buffalo and Orlando.

By the time OP spends the time and money on ground transportation for other airports its just not worth it at all. I bet he'll shave another 40-60 bucks or more by just waiting a bit.
Haar! It's been a few years that for sure. I think Paul Martin might have been in power.

I never said there would be a direct flight from Orlando to Bishop. Botti misread that.

WestJet operates out of Orlando and during certain months, direct to both Hamilton and Kitchener along with Toronto.

I agree wholeheartedly with waiting to grab unbooked seats closer to time of flight requirement.

When in the world did they build a tunnel from the Island?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar! It's been a few years that for sure. I think Paul Martin might have been in power.

I never said there would be a direct flight from Orlando to Bishop. Botti misread that.

WestJet operates out of Orlando and during certain months, direct to both Hamilton and Kitchener along with Toronto.

I agree wholeheartedly with waiting to grab unbooked seats closer to time of flight requirement.

When in the world did they build a tunnel from the Island?
Actually I must eat some humble pie lol - according to Ports Toronto the ferry Is still in service. I don't get why there absolutely is a tunnel since 2015 so the ferry seems totally redundant to me. Maybe have it as a backup in case there is mtce or a problem with the tunnel but to fund regular ferry service is silly.

Here is info on the tunnel - makes sense vs a stupid ferry lol -
https://www.portstoronto.com/airport...an-tunnel.aspx

As for Hamilton and KW - the OP is going to Toronto and is a visitor. By the time he rents a car or takes ground transportation from those cities to Toronto any possible savings would be instantly wiped away. Would probably be more expensive plus a PIA. Who want to travel on the 401 from KW or the QEW from Hammy - especially during peak hours of the day which is almost all the time now in the GTA.

WestJet flies to Pearson (Westjet now has a bigger hub in Toronto Pearson than Calgary lol) as does Air Canada but don't forget - so does UAL, DAL and AAL so that is 5 scheduled Carriers to choose from. He'll probably end up getting the cheapest fare in/out of YYZ plus it is just a million times more convenient coming to Toronto and then the train (Union Pearson Express with no traffic concerns). Problem with Bishop as I said is that they don't have direct MCO-YTZ capable aircraft. Biggest frames flying into that airport is the DH4 - she simply doesn't have the legs for that routing. Plus if the flight is late and delayed there isn't 24 hours customs at the island so that is instant diversion to YYZ anyway. Same thing with inclement weather as YTZ is not Cat III capable. It just isn't a real airport if it doesn't have 24 hours Customs capabilities and no Cat III capabilities in my books - Seriously though - the next few days the GTA is going to get thunderstorms and lots of rain - pretty much guaranteed YYZ will accommodate all of YTZ's diversionary traffic because they won't be able to land - <rolls eyes> For YYZ - no biggie

Buffalo is an option but what - maybe save 60 or 70 bucks return. Whoop dee do than you have to make your way from Buffalo to Toronto in traffic plus cross a land border which is truly a HUGE PIA vs going through CBSA at the airport especially if you are crossing the border on a bus - PLEASE SHOOT ME. Back in 2005 a friend and I crossed the border to go to NYC on Greyhound and both times it was hours at the border. Never ever again lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 05-03-2017 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto