Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

For some reason this does not really seem to be as discussed as it should. We are voting next week.
I already voted at an advance pole so I don't forget as I am going to a concert that night.

I noticed a lot less signs this time around.

My current stance is as long at is it not a conservative getting the seat I am okay. I vote liberal. I could tolerate a NPD government... but just not having a conservative represent me.

Regardless of who you are voting for get out and vote people. We pay enough taxes better have our say on who is representing us. Should a conservative get a seat in Toronto I think we would need to dim the Toronto sign lights to a black and blue . Worse if it is Ford we better hang our heads in shame and turn off the sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 PM

47 posts, read 38,499 times
is this like a local election?

I vote Conservative in the UK, a very different type of conservative to the US versions, I’ve no idea about the Canadian equivalent. Are you not fed up of Mr Peoplekind ��

Old 05-31-2018, 05:16 PM

Exclamation .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addzz View Post
is this like a local election?

I vote Conservative in the UK, a very different type of conservative to the US versions, I’ve no idea about the Canadian equivalent. Are you not fed up of Mr Peoplekind ��
It is local/ Ontario.

I like Justin Trudeau and I actually like Kathleen Wynne. I have most confidence in them and this party. I would be okay with an NDP win and would be furious is Ford won. The conservatives have no place in Ontario especially not the GTA.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4242521/b...at-projection/

I seriously think people in our city and province need to wake up and pay better attention to this election.

I am getting concerned as polls are suggesting Ford might actually be leading.

That is bloody horrific and shameful.

That better not happen.

He is a joke in the same level as Trump.

The family has been tied to organized crime in the city and disgrace after disgrace.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:24 PM

I think a week before the election if you have not voted already you basically need to understand this election is to serious to vote NPD.

NPD will not win the Provincial election. What it will do is still the liberal vote and allow garbage Ford to win.

So sadly in reality if you do not vote liberal you are in directly voting in Ford.

This election is too big a deal for people in Ontario to turn a blind eye to the bigger picture.

Ford is not quality to run ON. He is a low life and it would be a disgrace for him to run ON.

So if you have not voted and are thinking of voting NDP they can not win the election and if the vote splits we get FORD!!!! A disgusting FORD to represent our province!!!!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:01 AM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I think a week before the election if you have not voted already you basically need to understand this election is to serious to vote NPD.

NPD will not win the Provincial election. What it will do is still the liberal vote and allow garbage Ford to win.

So sadly in reality if you do not vote liberal you are in directly voting in Ford.

This election is too big a deal for people in Ontario to turn a blind eye to the bigger picture.

Ford is not quality to run ON. He is a low life and it would be a disgrace for him to run ON.

So if you have not voted and are thinking of voting NDP they can not win the election and if the vote splits we get FORD!!!! A disgusting FORD to represent our province!!!!
Are you for real, klmrocks ??

While I am in full agreement with you that Wynne has actually done a fairly good job and deserves, on balance, to continue as Premier, the VAST majority of Polls are showing the Liberal Party to be attracting the voting intentions of from 14-19% of the electorate !! It's therefore extremely dangerous
, with a Capital D, to be voting Liberal as this will allow the Wrecking crew in the Conservatives to waltz up the middle and take the prize. The ONLY way Conservatives ever win in Ontario and in Canada generally is when the opposite Left wing forces are divided to the extent that each 'liberal' party wins an equal share of liberal votes. Nobody in their right minds would actually want an uncontested Conservative Majority Government because every time we've had one, it's taken literally years to recover from what they have done to the social fabric of the nation. Years !!

Ford will sell off public assets to his cronies (who are licking their chops in glee at the prospect), cripple Medicare (he has a pro-privatization Doctor as his major advisor on this file), cut welfare (which will never be restored. Welfare right now would be almost $1,000/month had Harris not cut rates, and they haven't been restored by Wynne), enhance the police budgets and curry favour with the Police generally, slow to a glacial pace any kind of progress in transit, and finally turn vast swathes of the public from even paying attention to politics as a way to make their everyday lives better (a longstanding Conservative objective).

By the way, we're not overtaxed, but rather UNDERTAXED here in Ontario relative to the rest of the country. On $300,000 in taxable income (which is always lower than gross income), Ontarians pay the lowest scheduled tax of $33,000 of all provinces. Even Albertans pay more at $36,000 than us !! At $500,000, the differences also favour us ($56,000 here vs. next lowest of $68,000 in Albera, and $70,000 in Saskatchewan. In Quebec you'd pay $120,000 on half a million). The whole premise of Ford's campaign - that people are being taxed into poverty - is exactly the opposite what's really going on.

Alas, there are a lot of stupid, greedy people here. I have some as members of my family, some of whom are quite well off yet constantly ***** about the taxes they pay after returning from their 6th vacation abroad

Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
Are you for real, klmrocks ??

While I am in full agreement with you that Wynne has actually done a fairly good job and deserves, on balance, to continue as Premier, the VAST majority of Polls are showing the Liberal Party to be attracting the voting intentions of from 14-19% of the electorate !! It's therefore extremely dangerous
, with a Capital D, to be voting Liberal as this will allow the Wrecking crew in the Conservatives to waltz up the middle and take the prize. The ONLY way Conservatives ever win in Ontario and in Canada generally is when the opposite Left wing forces are divided to the extent that each 'liberal' party wins an equal share of liberal votes. Nobody in their right minds would actually want an uncontested Conservative Majority Government because every time we've had one, it's taken literally years to recover from what they have done to the social fabric of the nation. Years !!

Ford will sell off public assets to his cronies (who are licking their chops in glee at the prospect), cripple Medicare (he has a pro-privatization Doctor as his major advisor on this file), cut welfare (which will never be restored. Welfare right now would be almost $1,000/month had Harris not cut rates, and they haven't been restored by Wynne), enhance the police budgets and curry favour with the Police generally, slow to a glacial pace any kind of progress in transit, and finally turn vast swathes of the public from even paying attention to politics as a way to make their everyday lives better (a longstanding Conservative objective).

By the way, we're not overtaxed, but rather UNDERTAXED here in Ontario relative to the rest of the country. On $300,000 in taxable income (which is always lower than gross income), Ontarians pay the lowest scheduled tax of $33,000 of all provinces. Even Albertans pay more at $36,000 than us !! At $500,000, the differences also favour us ($56,000 here vs. next lowest of $68,000 in Albera, and $70,000 in Saskatchewan. In Quebec you'd pay $120,000 on half a million). The whole premise of Ford's campaign - that people are being taxed into poverty - is exactly the opposite what's really going on.

Alas, there are a lot of stupid, greedy people here. I have some as members of my family, some of whom are quite well off yet constantly ***** about the taxes they pay after returning from their 6th vacation abroad
I am speaking of sales taxes specifically but the intent is too remind people to vote. It is right and duty. At least half of us did not always have the right to vote and we all need to participate.

Voting is a reminder that we the public do and should steer the direction tge country is going. Sitting voting out is not the right thing to do. We have several days before the election it does not take that much time to get info on what is party and leader stands for.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:03 AM

47 posts, read 38,499 times
Can you tell me what the Conservative party last did in Canada? When you say social policies what did they do? I’m interested but only educated in US and UK politics. Conservatives and the left wing here are very, very different to the US parties who seem to have a more agressive idealogy.

I’m curious though, and I’m not trying to stoke anything, I enjoy good debate. But do you regard gender shared bathrooms / changing rooms, anti white, anti military policies to be good ones? Do you agree with making it a crime to not refer to someone as their pronoun and policing language? I’m very much in agreement with your Jordan Peterson that speech should never be policed and forced upon people.

I’ve watched little on Turdeau but he seems almost radically left? I saw a video recently where he refused to answer questions from the house over 30 times on his discussions with the ethics committee. Another on him attacking a war vet and another on him recruiting a cabinet based on race and not on who’s good for the positions. I’m willing to listen to any political opinion but they lose me if they can’t justify their opinion. I’m a really tolerant person and will talk peacefully to any political opinion but I can’t help but fear I’ll be looked down on and savagely rejected for being a conservative....a Uk on that is. I feel the US and Canada seem hostile towards people who don’t follow their idealogy. Hope this doesn’t come across as rude I am just asking questions I feel that if a Canadian employer knows I’m conservative they’ll punish me for it. ��

Old 06-02-2018, 06:26 AM

287 posts, read 306,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addzz View Post
Can you tell me what the Conservative party last did in Canada? When you say social policies what did they do? I’m interested but only educated in US and UK politics. Conservatives and the left wing here are very, very different to the US parties who seem to have a more agressive idealogy.

I’m curious though, and I’m not trying to stoke anything, I enjoy good debate. But do you regard gender shared bathrooms / changing rooms, anti white, anti military policies to be good ones? Do you agree with making it a crime to not refer to someone as their pronoun and policing language? I’m very much in agreement with your Jordan Peterson that speech should never be policed and forced upon people.

I’ve watched little on Turdeau but he seems almost radically left? I saw a video recently where he refused to answer questions from the house over 30 times on his discussions with the ethics committee. Another on him attacking a war vet and another on him recruiting a cabinet based on race and not on who’s good for the positions. I’m willing to listen to any political opinion but they lose me if they can’t justify their opinion. I’m a really tolerant person and will talk peacefully to any political opinion but I can’t help but fear I’ll be looked down on and savagely rejected for being a conservative....a Uk on that is. I feel the US and Canada seem hostile towards people who don’t follow their idealogy. Hope this doesn’t come across as rude I am just asking questions I feel that if a Canadian employer knows I’m conservative they’ll punish me for it. ��
unfortunately that’s what you will most likely get in this thread lol, but don’t worry , it’s not going to happen in real life - people at my work place openly talk about disliking the Wynne government , which is not a surprise considering the liberal only has 20% of support in all recent polls and that number is still dropping, NDP is ... well, look at all the promises of free stuff , it will sure attract a lot of votes ... PC wants make cuts that will get people in the public sector worried... basically the all suck , it’s like the tv ad of NDP said: this time Ontario doesn’t have to choose between bad and worse ... you now have the option to pick the worst ! Ok, I added that last part...but this election has turned into a contest of “vote for someone so the other one doesn’t win” , much like how Trump won, since many people just really didn’t want Hilary , and look how it turns out ? The difference here is: no matter who wins , it will all be bad, just different levels of bad

Old 06-02-2018, 07:04 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

There is no way Wynne will win KLM. The momentum is with the NDP between the Libs and NDP. I think people have already coalesced around that and there is probably nothing that will change that now. A vote for Wynne in my estimation at the point is almost the same as a vote for Ford. Horwath has a shot at being Premier if she gets strong voter turnout from millenials and if more people who vote Liberal typically like me, decide last minute that as much as they don't like NDP - they know the Lib vote will almost be a vote for Ford and tick NDP. If you don't want Doug Ford as Premier - that is probably the most realistic shot you have.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:34 PM

400 posts, read 422,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There is no way Wynne will win KLM. The momentum is with the NDP between the Libs and NDP. I think people have already coalesced around that and there is probably nothing that will change that now. A vote for Wynne in my estimation at the point is almost the same as a vote for Ford. Horwath has a shot at being Premier if she gets strong voter turnout from millenials and if more people who vote Liberal typically like me, decide last minute that as much as they don't like NDP - they know the Lib vote will almost be a vote for Ford and tick NDP. If you don't want Doug Ford as Premier - that is probably the most realistic shot you have.
That's right. Even with that movement towards the NDP, I still think that that worthless drug dealer will get in. The Conservative vote is very efficient, far more so than the NDP vote. That dirtbag will tear down so much in this Province that makes it a good place to live, and he won't care whatsoever about the pain he inflicts on others.

Druggie's so lazy and stupid (the guy admitted that he could barely pay attention in college) that most of the damage done will be authored by shadowy figures in his political entourage who just want to cleave off profitable morsels from Public Assets. In other words, they'll cite the meaningless 'Public debt' for the further 407-ization of our economy. By the way, adding a layer of profit/fees/unnecessary admin. to our basic infrastructure makes us less competitive as a jurisdiction vs.-a-vis other places in the world, like China, whose governments are using the power of the sovereign to build infrastructure and hand it over to their businesses and citizens for FREE. Typical stupid Con non-thinking. I foresee a Ford majority, and it ain't gonna be pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto