Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:33 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,966 times

Advertisements

I read news reports that the Toronto shooter was age 29. If they know how old he is, they know who he is. So why has his identity not been released?

I'm an American, so I don't know what's normal in Canada. Is it normal to not release a killer's identity this long after the incident?

Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
We are all wondering the same thing.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:20 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
The shooter has been identified. There is an active thread about this already //www.city-data.com/forum/toron...ng-9-shot.html

Yes it is normal to not release information too soon after an incident since too much information too soon sparks too much hysterical speculation and interference from the media and the public and that compromises an investigation.

In the other active thread the news link there giving the shooter's id also has an explanation from the police about why Canadian police have not released much information immediately after the incident which is still under investigation.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 PM

800 posts, read 730,563 times
I understand that as they probably didn’t know yet. I don’t understand why they didnt mention how he died. They could’ve said he was as dangerous and was neutralized the police. Should have said this last night. They need to work on rapport with the population and holding information we know is available, like how the shooter died, is a good way to break trust. But alas, better late than never.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 PM

287 posts, read 306,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
I understand that as they probably didn’t know yet. I don’t understand why they didnt mention how he died. They could’ve said he was as dangerous and was neutralized the police. Should have said this last night. They need to work on rapport with the population and holding information we know is available, like how the shooter died, is a good way to break trust. But alas, better late than never.
I am sure they are waiting for his family to come out and say he had mental illness - in this day and age that’s pretty much the standard requirement if you killed someone , I am sure Bruce who killed 8+ people and buried them in flower pots have been struggling with mental illness for decades ...

Old 07-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:

They can't publically say how he died until they have the official coroner's report otherwise everything is pure speculation. For all anyone knows he could have commit suicide by cyanide or by slashing his own throat, he may have had mind altering drugs in his system, and that kind of thing can only be determined by the coroner. As well, if he died from gunfire they need the report from their ballistics experts that determines whether or not he was shot by police ammunition or by his own ammunition. These examinations and conclusions and reports take time.

Honestly, I think when Joe Public en masse and the Media are in such anxiety and so much hurry to know what race and religion a killer is, and exactly how the killer died it is all due to ghoulishness and morbid fascination rather than being on a "need to know" basis. The media is pressured to feed that.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-23-2018 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 06:04 PM

800 posts, read 730,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They can't publically say how he died until they have the official coroner's report otherwise everything is pure speculation. For all anyone knows he could have commit suicide by cyanide or slashing his own throat and that kind of thing can only be determined by the coroner. As well, if he died from gunfire they need the report from their ballistics experts that determines whether or not he was shot by police ammunition or by his own ammunition.

See this is the type of thing that is not public knowledge. The cops clearly need a better PR team. Could have reported it was speculated he was neutralized by authority’s however we are waiting for official coroner reports.

See how much better that sounds rather than the shooter is dead. And people are like... how?

Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:

See this is the type of thing that is not public knowledge. .......

But it IS public knowledge. The media, the reporters who report the news, they all know that is the same situation in all cases like this. They have been told over and over again until it's drilled into their heads that the police MUST wait for an official report from the coroner and if necessary from weapons experts before information can be given to the public. It's the duty of the media to report that to the public who demands to know too much too soon for the sake of their own morbid curiosity.

It's also public knowledge to millions of people who watch TV and murder mystery movies. Everyone who watches any kind of murder mystery TV series shows knows from watching those shows that every death investigation must wait dependent on the coroner's reports.

Anyone who has had a loved one who has died, from whatever cause, knows that they must wait for the coroner's report before anything can else can be done or arranged and before the body of the deceased can be turned over to the family or funeral directors.

It's all common knowledge, we must all wait on the coroner without exception.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They can't publically say how he died until they have the official coroner's report otherwise everything is pure speculation. For all anyone knows he could have commit suicide by cyanide or by slashing his own throat, he may have had mind altering drugs in his system, and that kind of thing can only be determined by the coroner. As well, if he died from gunfire they need the report from their ballistics experts that determines whether or not he was shot by police ammunition or by his own ammunition. These examinations and conclusions and reports take time.

Honestly, I think when Joe Public en masse and the Media are in such anxiety and so much hurry to know what race and religion a killer is, and exactly how the killer died it is all due to ghoulishness and morbid fascination rather than being on a "need to know" basis. The media is pressured to feed that.

This, in spades.

We somehow seem to think that we have a RIGHT to know EVERYTHING and to know it RIGHT NOW!!!!! We're wrong.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadastrong View Post
He’s Muslim. Surprise, surprise. Anyway I don’t care anymore. Toronto loves immigration and that city is doomed. Get out quickly. Oakville is the last white hope.
Please stay in Oakville.
Do you realize many of the people posting in the Toronto forum are immigrants or the off spring of immigrants.

FYI this one is of Arab descent and has Muslim family.

Stop the drama.

Most of the crime in my neighbourhood is caused by white drug addicticts so feel please feel free to pick then up and take them to Oakville. If immigrant fron anywhere was such a big problem then we would all already be dead.

If you don't like immigrants look for the next exit sign because the white suprenist B.S. talk is not welcome

Oh and on the way out to Oalville feel few to pick up McArthur and the corpse of the van driving incell basket case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto