Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,205 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First off, I am happy a site like this exists and I can ask some questions! thanks in advance.

I am looking to move to the Georgian Bay region of the province and am interested in the cities of Owen Sound, Collingwood, Midland and Parry Sound in no particular order.

I am from Vancouver and I have recently moved to the Niagara region and although it is nice, there are just too many people and not enough nature for me. With the prices being so low in comparison I purchased a home right away before feeling out the area. now 3 years in and get me out of here!

I am single and in my 30s and work in the trades so finding employment is not an issue. I would be interested in a city that has some life to it as I do like going out to eat and going to the bar occasionally. but my main concern is nature and the ability to get out on my own for a hike or a boat ride and I know from my time spent up there on leisure, I felt this is the best place for me while still being close to my family.

Housing prices are important as I don't really want to get too much higher than 350k. Its also important that the city has some conveniences as well grocery stores hardware stores etc.. hospitals are always good in my line of work as well.

any info is welcomed

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 04:01 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Collingwood.

And avoid Owen Sound at all costs.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:11 AM

776 posts, read 956,118 times
I have lived in Ontario all my life , and I would rank the places you mentioned this way.

Owen Sound. Poor local economy, and a lot of sketchy low income types. A fairly serious crime and drug sub culture. Rank it last on the list. Anything north of OS, along the Bruce Peninsula is going to be small seasonal towns, like Sauble Beach and the " end of the road " at Tobermorey. No large industry.

Midland. Twin towns of Midland and Penetang. The biggest employer in Midland is the Ontario Mental Hospital. Its been there since the 1930's, and it is an example of the Ontario Government putting a long term Provincial institution into a smaller town, as a continual employment source. Midland has some small to medium industry, and the trades job situation is just OK. Many of the people who live in Midland commute to Collingwood or Barrie to work.

Collingwood. Used to be ( back into the 1960's ) the main ship building port on the Canadian Great Lakes. They built the big bulk carrier ships . That dried up . The area to the south and west of the town was developed as ski resorts, starting around the time that the ship yard was starting to fail. The natural geography has medium slope terrain that made for great ski resorts. NOW the main employment in the area is winter skiing and summer recreational tourism. The town has very good retail services, a general hospital, lots of motels and medium to fine dining spots. Its a 30 minute drive to Barrie.

It has very good sport fishing for Lake Trout, and river spawn speckled and rainbow trout. Boating is popular. Work is plentiful with each summer bringing new condo and house projects.

Parry Sound. Smaller than Collingwood or Midland. Farther away from the other places. More of a "small town " atmosphere , with a less vibrant feel. It has what I call the ........basic services, but not much else. A small hospital, with a helicopter pad, two supermarkets, a OPP station, and a strip of franchise food places, out by the highway.

Parry Sound is gateway to the Georgian Bay islands chain, which runs in a half circle out into the bay for about 30 miles. That is a summer only cottage area. The islands are rocky with a thin layer of soil on top. Obviously access to the islands is by boat only. Inland to the east from PS there are a couple of lake chain areas with summer cottages and a few tourist camps. No towns bigger than 300/400 people over in that direction.

Of all of those places, I would pick Collingwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto