Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,245 times

Advertisements

I have heard this on several occasions, from different unrelated people, that it is very difficult to make real friends in Toronto. Unless you are born or educated here with your established connections, it is harder for you to be accepted into existing groups than in other places. It has been commented that Torontonians tend to show less interest in knowing other people, and are very reluctant to accept new friends into their established groups.

That being said, I have also have the same experience with local Torontonians. Their conversation with me are almost always limited to insignificant topics such as the weather or plans for the weekend. They won't go any deeper such as to know what kind of a person you are, what you are thinking about, or what you have done before moving to Toronto. All you can have is small talks over and over again. And you can hardly expect to be invited to their parties or even sports games. To them, you are always an outsider. They are friendly but careful keep a distance, knowingly or not.

What I heard is that it is a Toronto thing, but a Canadian thing. My coworker said that he made more friends during the six months internship in Montreal than 4-5 years living and working in Toronto.

Is that at least partially true? And what are the reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
I remember reading an article in the Toronto papers about this Canadian actor who moved to LA and became good friends with people in his building fairly immediately. He made more friends there in his first few months than a lifetime in Toronto. Can't remember who it was now.. but I swear I remember reading it! I did not find Toronto unfriendly. Polite yes. Unfriendly no. But it was definitely easier to make friends in Australia and the US... even in New England where folks are supposed to be a bit more standoffish...

Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM

276 posts, read 747,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
I have heard this on several occasions, from different unrelated people, that it is very difficult to make real friends in Toronto. Unless you are born or educated here with your established connections, it is harder for you to be accepted into existing groups than in other places. It has been commented that Torontonians tend to show less interest in knowing other people, and are very reluctant to accept new friends into their established groups.

That being said, I have also have the same experience with local Torontonians. Their conversation with me are almost always limited to insignificant topics such as the weather or plans for the weekend. They won't go any deeper such as to know what kind of a person you are, what you are thinking about, or what you have done before moving to Toronto. All you can have is small talks over and over again. And you can hardly expect to be invited to their parties or even sports games. To them, you are always an outsider. They are friendly but careful keep a distance, knowingly or not.

What I heard is that it is a Toronto thing, but a Canadian thing. My coworker said that he made more friends during the six months internship in Montreal than 4-5 years living and working in Toronto.

Is that at least partially true? And what are the reasons?
It's easy to make friends in Toronto unless you come with attitude..but make sure you are making friends with the right people...there are a lot of users and two faced people there! Gang Stalkers too!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

50 posts, read 183,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I remember reading an article in the Toronto papers about this Canadian actor who moved to LA and became good friends with people in his building fairly immediately. He made more friends there in his first few months than a lifetime in Toronto. Can't remember who it was now.. but I swear I remember reading it! I did not find Toronto unfriendly. Polite yes. Unfriendly no. But it was definitely easier to make friends in Australia and the US... even in New England where folks are supposed to be a bit more standoffish...
It was Matt Dusk

Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 AM

355 posts, read 2,369,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
there are a lot of users and two faced people there! Gang Stalkers too!
please pardon my ignorance, I haven't heard "gang stalkers" before. Could you explain? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 119,270 times
Default Meeting People

Twitter groups in Toronto are large and grwoing for networking opportunities. Tweet ups are becoming common.

Facebook has a huge presence.

I think Toronto is WIRED to a higher degree than other cities.
Check for your self

Great way to meet new people, Many of the newer condos has large gym rec centers that have become the new social hub for some work out and meet people activities.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:41 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,646 times
i think this isnt a 'toronto' phenomena. its probably true for a lot of the larger, bustling areas of the industrialized world. its simply a reflection on modern lifestyles and things people hold as priority in their life - and that doesnt include friendly chit - chat.

its unfortunate, but i think its true everywhere. ive heard the same things said about DC, London, UK, Vancouver, and even Milan, of all places.

but certainly some cities have a culture that for some reason is easier on the stranger in town. like the example cited, LA might be one of them.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:21 PM

30 posts, read 184,841 times
I'd say on a whole that Canadians are more reserved

Old 02-15-2010, 06:46 AM

43 posts, read 119,270 times
This Realtor in Cobourg Ontario absolutely has the best idea.
When he has a family coming to their new neighbourhood he puts out announcements so they will be welcomed. Canadian may be reserved but I think we have much more class, and know how to say please, thank you and sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCM5QAx5xp0

Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 21,897 times
I visit a lot of place, and now I come in Toronto from quebec ( the provincial) not city... I was lived at sherbrooke ( a city of quebec) ... but the way, I live in toronto since 3 months and I m a sociable personne and really open... I didn't make friend yet and I m really surprise because when I was each weekend at montreal ... each day I went out I met one or 2 person that I keep in touch... people here are really reserved and a little bit hypocrite ( not sence really bad word) I mean just a lot reserved and just are polite to say hi and that it ... the only think people told me is like ohhh tu parle francais ( you talk french) and the try to say 2 or 3 word and that it ... and ahhh you come from montreal ... the just suppose they don t ask some question to be curious and after the just tell ok there have fun or good luck ( the "good luck" mean maybe ,... good luck make friends loll )
I think its just weard that people have to subscribe at some sociable activities to make friends ... I never heard that before... also people who talk me more it was french people from france or latino people ... that it ... I come here make english friends and improve my english not french and spanish " haa also I was to south america and my god OPEN PEOPLE THEY ARE, FUNNY ADORABLE really easy make friends there and I stay there 2 month and made more than 30 friends and 10 real friends and I learn spanish in 2 months only...

I m gonna wait and see what happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto