Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM

40 posts, read 170,171 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Toronto on vacation for 14 days in August this year. I've been researching hotels and talking to friends that vacationed there. Everyone says the downtown hotels in Toronto are not up to par, especially for an international location. I'm thinking this can't be true. I even hear the Four Seasons is old, shabby, and a bit run down. And almost everyone I've talked to says the service was horrible in their hotel as well. I'm wondering is it the economy?

I have some definite clean freak issues so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a nice hotel downtown that is clean. That is the #1 priority! I'm looking for a 4-5 star hotel with a max budget of $300-400 per night. A nice restaraunt, room service, a pool would be good, and fair service at least. Close to shopping and/or great restaraunts would be great.

Please, can anyone vouch for a good hotel in downtown Toronto?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM

701 posts, read 1,900,814 times
You really get expect much from Canadian hotels, with those with 4-5 stars. I have stayed at Royal York Hotel, supposedly one of the best in Toronto. The rooms are not impressive at all.
I had the "pleasure" of staying at 4 star hotels in Quebec city, which turn out to be worse than 3 star ones I used to stay. Giant CRT screen TVs in the room, in 2009? Quebec must be kidding.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:52 PM

That's exactly what I keep hearing. Well, 5 star it is! Thanks.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:57 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I stayed at the Park Hyatt while my friends were at the Four Seasons and both did not impress me. Dated furniture a grandmother would love. I've had better rooms at suburban Westin's in Detroit and Washington, DC. Can't speak about any other hotels in Toronto. I have stayed at a Westin in suburban Toronto and that was quite nice, but not central (but the metro was a close drive).

Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
The Gladstone Hotel on Queen Street, one of the best in the city.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Man, the Gladstone looks like a lot of fun. But, I think it might be too small. Should've mentioned it would be 2 adults and 1 child. We all want to share a room. That hotel looked really good. I think it may be a gem. Thanks.

Still looking.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 PM

355 posts, read 2,369,871 times
I just visited Toronto last week. I stayed at the Super 8 on Spadina 222 (heart of Chinatown). I paid $96 + tax for an individual room with a king size bed. The hotel is actually integrated with a small shopping mall, which was kind of unusual (for me, at least). But I'm not picky, so I thought the room was good, the view of downtown Toronto was great, and the service was more than acceptable.

The Super 8 is nothing fancy, though. You seem to be looking for a more upscale accomodation. I would be surprised that, if your budget is $ 300-400 per night, you wouldn't be able to find good accomodation in one of the regular chains (i.e., Hyatt).

Old 03-21-2010, 09:44 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,450 times
What about the Hazelton Hotel?

Toronto will be getting a slew of new 5-star hotels (including a new FS) in the next 2-3 years.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
I just visited Toronto last week. I stayed at the Super 8 on Spadina 222 (heart of Chinatown). I paid $96 + tax for an individual room with a king size bed. The hotel is actually integrated with a small shopping mall, which was kind of unusual (for me, at least). But I'm not picky, so I thought the room was good, the view of downtown Toronto was great, and the service was more than acceptable.

The Super 8 is nothing fancy, though. You seem to be looking for a more upscale accomodation. I would be surprised that, if your budget is $ 300-400 per night, you wouldn't be able to find good accomodation in one of the regular chains (i.e., Hyatt).
It doesn't have to be super fancy, I just love room service and having a nice bar! But, I'll definitely look at the Hyatt. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
What about the Hazelton Hotel?

Toronto will be getting a slew of new 5-star hotels (including a new FS) in the next 2-3 years.
Definitely on the list! It's one of 3 hotels mentioned. The Hazelton, Four Seasons, and Park Hyatt. I think they definitely need a new FS. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto