Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:28 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,085,748 times

Advertisements

I don't hate the Prius, it's just not for me. I'm happy with my 34-36 mpg Civic..... Even if I were to get one, it would take years to break even on the price difference given I already get great gas mileage.

I would only consider one if it got 80+ mpg right off the lot, right now, it's just not that much better than a regular 4 cyl. economy car.... Just my $ 0.02 worth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,554,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I don't hate the Prius, it's just not for me. I'm happy with my 34-36 mpg Civic..... Even if I were to get one, it would take years to break even on the price difference given I already get great gas mileage.

I would only consider one if it got 80+ mpg right off the lot, right now, it's just not that much better than a regular 4 cyl. economy car.... Just my $ 0.02 worth!
There is more one reason to buy a hybrid. Its not just about possible fuel savings.

Its amazing to me everyone busts out a calculator to discuss hybrids and why they are not worth it when the same could be said for ANY car.

For example, it might take 10 years to recoup the costs of a new Civic at 35MPG vs keeping an old car at 25MPG with no payment.

Is a S65 at 180k worth the .2 second or so difference in acceleration over a 140k S63?

Etc etc etc.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,409,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
There is more one reason to buy a hybrid. Its not just about possible fuel savings.

Its amazing to me everyone busts out a calculator to discuss hybrids and why they are not worth it when the same could be said for ANY car.

For example, it might take 10 years to recoup the costs of a new Civic at 35MPG vs keeping an old car at 25MPG with no payment.

Is a S65 at 180k worth the .2 second or so difference in acceleration over a 140k S63?

Etc etc etc.
umm besides better fuel economy what other reason would someone buy hybrid for then?

and yes a mercedes AMG S65 Bi-turbo V-12 is worth the extra $40K over the mercedes AMG S63 N/A V-8

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,853 posts, read 58,461,786 times
I'm not a Prius hater, but living in the 'Highest-Prius-per-capita' area of USA, I get quite few obscene gestures from 'free-thinking' Prius drivers at my Bumper Sticker... "50 mpg since 1976, Where have you been?, NO OPEC, No Dinosaurs, No toxic Batteries"

Actually, the Energy Balance (all required energy inputs from inception, construction, lifelong operation) of a Prius, vs. one of my StealthRabbits, is not even close to similar. All my Diesels will go well over 500k miles in their life, AND they will not go to a 'Plastics' landfill at end-of-life (whenever that is??). Mine are made from METAL !

I get my tires at junkyards for $5, and often get another 5 - 7 yrs use out of something that was headed for scrap.

Consider your total energy footprint, when you look to that NEW 2012, vs, resurrecting the 'Rabbit' in your neighbor's brier patch.

BTW... we had a whole line of full electric vehicles and charging stations at my place of employment... Circa late 1970's.

This is a 'real' hybrid
http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,304,849 times
Quote:
Dumbest post ever.

Bing.

No its because they are idiots. They probably think you plug it in your living room. They rather support bailed out companies with taxpayer money and/or drive 30 years old cars and explain how they get 30 MPG.

Then its a Toyota which is the most hated brand on here.

Dumbest post ever made about a response to the dumbest car ever built. When there are plenty of 50+mpg diesel powered cars avalible, the moronic prius is nothing to brag on.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,345,347 times
I do not like the Prius' design, but I admire its technology and fuel efficiency. I guess some people are really afraid of change. Its your freedom to drive a gas-guzzling truck or SUV, but don't start whining on fuel prices. SUV=past, PRIUS=future. Like it, or spend all your $$$ on fuel.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:42 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,085,748 times
Quote:

Etc etc etc.
I'm sorry everyone doesn't think like you...

News Flash: You don't know everything, your posts are just your opinion, everyone does not share them AND you're not the smartest person out there.. NOT even on this forum! Get a life!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,259,428 times
I can't believe there are people stupid enough to believe that Toyota actually cares about the environment... well, thanks to this thread now I can.

Thanks, but i'll stick to driving around my 7500lb diesel behemoth for pennies on the dollar. Prius owners can snivel all they want at me... I get the last laugh.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
To the OP: If you have your heart set on a 2012 Prius, I would personally suggest pre-ordering the car. Chances are they will be a hot commodity when they come out and that is the only way to semi-guarantee you can get one.

As for the rest, I have nothing against the Prius itself. I think as others pointed out it is the image and attitude associated with the Prius that turns people off, even the real environmentalists. Toyota did an incredible job building the image of that car and it has paid off wonderfully for them. Let's face it, the Prius IS one of the most fuel efficient vehicles you can buy. It is also relatively inexpensive at it's base price, slotting directly between the pricing of compacts and midsize while returning midsize space and content.

The problem starts when people try to justify it as something besides just an efficient A to B appliance. There is nothing inspiring or particularly redeeming about the Prius other than the fact it gets good mileage. People who simply say I bought a Prius, because I needed something more efficient (regardless of the actual dollars and cents behind it, but face it if someone is buying new and needs Prius level space/content, it is the economical choice) and the Prius with it's strong resale represents a great value, are fine in my book and bought the car for the right reason.

It's the people who see the Prius as being superior and an extension of some sort of environmental movement and derive "smugness" from that who are the issue. Buy the Prius because it's a good match for your needs, don't buy it because it's a "Prius" and by buying one you are somehow magically caring about the environment and are a better person for it.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,384,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
To the OP: If you have your heart set on a 2012 Prius, I would personally suggest pre-ordering the car. Chances are they will be a hot commodity when they come out and that is the only way to semi-guarantee you can get one.

As for the rest, I have nothing against the Prius itself. I think as others pointed out it is the image and attitude associated with the Prius that turns people off, even the real environmentalists. Toyota did an incredible job building the image of that car and it has paid off wonderfully for them. Let's face it, the Prius IS one of the most fuel efficient vehicles you can buy. It is also relatively inexpensive at it's base price, slotting directly between the pricing of compacts and midsize while returning midsize space and content.
In the US, yes, not as readily the case elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion