Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,825,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm not even going to look this up, but I've never seen a vehicle that had no TSBs.
Agreed, TSB's are not bad and all vehicles have them. It all comes down to what they are for. The vast majority are simply for shop procedures, tools, updates, etc. Sometimes you do get one for an issue that is common, but not to the level of a recall.

Frontier:
No recalls.

1 TSB:

NTB05-099 - Cam Bolts for Front Wheel Alignment - This is to replace non-adjustable bolts on the lower control arm with adjustable ones to give greater control over adjusting caster and camber.

Tacoma:
1 Recall:

11V148000 - TPMS Regulating Systems - This is a recall to replace certain defective TPMS sensors/modules on a wide range of Toyota vehicles.

1 TSB:

NV009-06 - Windshield/Rear Glass Tick (there are two others for this, but they are old and supplanted by the one listed) - This is a long complained of issue on Tacoma's and other Toyota models and the TSB involves installing better glass stoppers/isolatros to eliminate the noise.

There are a host of others, but they are really best practices for the shop, pre-delivery procedures, etc. The only other one was to explain to customers why their polarized sunglasses make spots appear on the tempered glass and how to remove paint stains from the Rapgaurd. There are similar ones for the Nissan as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:20 AM

91 posts, read 200,637 times
I own a Taco. I don't hate them, but I consider them to be highly over-rated. Particularly in terms of reliability and build quality. My 2009 taco was not a higher quality vehicle than my Ford truck, in my opinion.

The Tundra is built to do serious work, but the Tacoma, IMHO, is feeding off the reputation of previous generations. They don't make em' like they used to. I feel like the Taco is akin to Honda; they were ahead of the curve in the day, but then everyone passed them when they decided to not make significant upgrades for about a decade.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,527,382 times
Just wondering if the OP ever decided to buy a '12 Taco. I've got the new truck itch, since my current "truck", an '05 Ford Escape 4WD, is pushing 178k miles. I'm ready to have some better cargo capacity and not take a huge hit to MPG. I've also considered the EcoBoost in the F-150, but once you go 4x4 on those, there's a little drop in the MPG's. It's a different size truck, I get it. But, if I could justify the extra size, I'd go for the F-150. I like driving my Escape, and the Double Cab, Long Bed Taco is just a little different from a size standpoint, whereas the F-150 would be drastically different.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,869,503 times
have a 03 frontier and a 08 Tundra. Drive the Tundra before u get the tacoma. Dang near the same gas mileage'

Old 07-08-2012, 09:15 PM

11,157 posts, read 29,408,102 times
for the amount of money you would spend for a mid-size Tacoma i would just go for the Ford F-150 with the eco-Boost V-6 can tow/Haul twice as much and gets slightly better Fue economy and due to F-150 being the number 1 selling truck it means parts are easy to find and you don't have to pay a premuim on them like Tacoma parts.

2012 Ford F-150 Test Drive & Truck Review - YouTube

Last edited by GTOlover; 07-08-2012 at 09:26 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM

18,951 posts, read 43,827,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
have a 03 frontier and a 08 Tundra. Drive the Tundra before u get the tacoma. Dang near the same gas mileage'
I own a '09 Tundra ext cab, and it is a great truck, the only downside is its difficult to park in tight spaces.

My radio acts up sometimes when it's really hot, and that's a common problem from what I hear.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,357,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Agreed, TSB's are not bad and all vehicles have them. It all comes down to what they are for. The vast majority are simply for shop procedures, tools, updates, etc. Sometimes you do get one for an issue that is common, but not to the level of a recall.

Frontier:
No recalls.

1 TSB:

NTB05-099 - Cam Bolts for Front Wheel Alignment - This is to replace non-adjustable bolts on the lower control arm with adjustable ones to give greater control over adjusting caster and camber.

Tacoma:
1 Recall:

11V148000 - TPMS Regulating Systems - This is a recall to replace certain defective TPMS sensors/modules on a wide range of Toyota vehicles.

1 TSB:

NV009-06 - Windshield/Rear Glass Tick (there are two others for this, but they are old and supplanted by the one listed) - This is a long complained of issue on Tacoma's and other Toyota models and the TSB involves installing better glass stoppers/isolatros to eliminate the noise.

There are a host of others, but they are really best practices for the shop, pre-delivery procedures, etc. The only other one was to explain to customers why their polarized sunglasses make spots appear on the tempered glass and how to remove paint stains from the Rapgaurd. There are similar ones for the Nissan as well.
A TPMS sensor recall is not a big deal as long as there is a TSB to take care of the problem. All the sensors do is to tell the computer the tire pressure in one or more of the tires has dropped below preset. The same goes for the window (no big deal as long as there is a TSB for it).

What I see as a big problem is some defect, whichever it may be, without the company issuing a recall or TSB. Since the problems Toyota had with the gas pedal of some of its automobiles and being accused of ignoring the problems, they have gone overboard in relation to TSB's. And the reason for this has to do with liabilities, since a little problem can cost a lot of money in court.
-----------------

To the other poster who brought up the F-150: this truck is quite nice too, and would be even nicer if it is as reliable as some of the Toyota trucks. But Ford has had great success with their F-150 series.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 PM

635 posts, read 1,171,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
for the amount of money you would spend for a mid-size Tacoma i would just go for the Ford F-150 with the eco-Boost V-6
Actually there is quite a price discrepancy between the two.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,527,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Actually there is quite a price discrepancy between the two.
That's right. Just looking at MSRP, the F-150 4x4 Ecoboost is about $10k higher that the Taco. The only reason I'm considering the Ecoboost is because the discounts one of my local dealers is offering, which is getting it much closer to the price of a Taco DCLB TRD 4x4.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,560,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
That's right. Just looking at MSRP, the F-150 4x4 Ecoboost is about $10k higher that the Taco. The only reason I'm considering the Ecoboost is because the discounts one of my local dealers is offering, which is getting it much closer to the price of a Taco DCLB TRD 4x4.
A couple of years ago, a friend bought an F150 and he told me he could get a certain percentge off of the MSRP. Apparently, this is fairly common way to price F150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion