Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
price hagglings, do they include the @$700 processing fee, sales tax and DMV convenience fees or are they left out of the haggling picture?
I would start by e-mailing the dealers and see who quotes the best price. Then you could either choose to buy from the best priced dealer or keep trying to work them down (i.e., XYZ Toyota quoted me a lower price.) To get around the processing fee you could ask them to quote you the out-the-door price including all fees and tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,414,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
price hagglings, do they include the @$700 processing fee, sales tax and DMV convenience fees or are they left out of the haggling picture?

BMW guy, BTW, Happy Thanksgiving and may you(nor anyone else) never have a holiday season as the one i am having!!
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. So sorry that it's been a rough one.

The haggling usually is on the purchase price, then they add in their fees, so I'd find out the fees upfront, and then make an offer contingent on the fees. You could say for example, $16.3k plus processing fee for $17k, but you'd also have to pay tax on the sales price too. Definitely try to deduct as much as possible of the fees from your purchase price.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,700,537 times
i cancelled my Sunday appt with Fordham but they asked me for my home # which i gave them. when i call for the fleet manager is he going to pull this # up to see if i previously dealt with Fordham in any way? is it the same situation with Westchester, bmw guy?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 AM

No, as you did not meet with a salesperson, you have not dealt with that side of the dealership. I think that they will put you in the lukewarm call pile, to touch base now and again regarding a potential car purchase.

City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM

should i put my cards on the table and tell them that i will be calling other Toyota dlrs fleet mgrs in the area or just call and inquire as to a price

how can i prove to dealer A that dealer B quoted me a lower prIce?

also with respect to a used car will the seller let me take the car to my mechanic to check out the car? how does this work if you haven't yet bought it?

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
If we are still talking Yaris dont expect the salesman to move very far from original price as its an inexpensive car to begin with,not much room to move.
Ask the guy if you can take it to your private mechanic?, if he says no say goodbye.
If Dealer A quoted a lower price than dealer B i'd go back to dealer A

Old 11-25-2011, 12:52 PM

I would just call, and ask for an email of a quote, since that way you will have a record from the manager. You could actually strike a deal via email, too, since you know the car that you want, etc.

City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2011, 02:09 PM

thanks both bmw guy and jambo i feel as i am "grounded" now. as soon as i feel i am ready i will tackle this

Old 11-25-2011, 03:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,362,197 times
Let me add one thing that is something that has helped me thru the sales process of any high ticket item.

You can afford to walk away from the deal.

Lets say that you make an educated offer on a car, maybe even write that offer on a slip of paper and hand it to the sales person. "That is what I am willing to pay for this car today." This tact follows the rule that something of value is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it. Now if your numbers are allowing for some profit in the deal then you may end up with a deal. They are in business to make money. They may even tell you that their is no way that they can sell the car at that price.

If that is the case then walk away from the deal. (Make sure that your name and number is on that slip of paper though.)

Two friends that have tried that were called back and completed the sale for the car that they wanted. It can work in your favor. Just make sure that you remember to leave some profit in the mix for the dealer. It will show that you are willing to make a deal now, and that you are not giving our unreasonable offers for a car.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 PM

i made a few calls and as of now Toyota of Manhattan seems to have the best price on a 3 door Yaris LE which includes the processing fee.

i am planning to go tomorrow or Sat to test drive another Yaris at Manhattan Toyota. if i special order a car in the color i want or other options, is there a deposit, or if i want a particular car in stock would there be a deposit to hold it until after New years? I don't know how this works. if there are deposits to special order or hold a car are the transactions regulated by any NY state agencies as far as refunds go, etc or is this totally according to what the dlr wants to do?

bmw guy...??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion