Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:16 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,462,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I see. Since it does't fit YOUR needs, it's retarded and the people whose needs it does fit are dumb.

People hanging their hat on such childish and asinine arguments have no business questioning the intelligence of anyone else.
I am just struggling to understand why someone would buy a car, a vehicle as such, I am hard-pressed to find any redeeming qualities for the vehicle. A very simple question. Perhaps you could explain to all of us, the 'needs'.
I will stick to my 'two tons o' fun'. Let's not get in an accident.

But there are only 14 better choices, for a car in that 'class':

2012 Scion iQ Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

Best Affordable Small Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

But hey, it is your money.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
What other car gets that mileage at that price point?
For $17K you can get a Volkswagen Golf TDI that gets 42 mpg highway. Good enough?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:34 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,814,503 times
Moderator cut: Personal Attack
A new golf TDI costs over $24k... that's more than 50% more than the IQ which starts at less than $16k.
Plus diesel costs as much or more than premium gas, around here anyway. The iQ takes regular.

Personally, I'd rather own the dub, just sayin.

Last edited by TheViking85; 05-20-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Are you on crack?
A new golf TDI costs over $24k... that's more than 50% more than the IQ which starts at less than $16k.
Plus diesel costs as much or more than premium gas, around here anyway. The iQ takes regular.

Personally, I'd rather own the dub, just sayin.
A new TDI starts at $17K. But how would I know? My neighbor just bought one.
If you understood energy content in fuel, you would know why diesel costs more than gas. But a diesel engine is much more efficient than a gas engine. Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by TheViking85; 05-20-2012 at 04:55 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
A new TDI starts at $17K. But how would I know? My neighbor just bought one.
If you understood energy content in fuel, you would know why diesel costs more than gas. But a diesel engine is much more efficient than a gas engine. But I am not here to teach the inept.

And no, I am not on crack, but I can teach you how to make it.
2012 Volkswagen Golf Trims & Specifications | Volkswagen

I said, I would personally prefer to buy the TDI, so I'm not knocking it. Just pointing out the wildly different MSRP on both cars and the cost to fuel them.
And regardless of diesel's efficiency, it still costs more to get that mileage. You have to look at cost per mile. That's all that matters.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
2012 Volkswagen Golf Trims & Specifications | Volkswagen

I said, I would personally prefer to buy the TDI, so I'm not knocking it. Just pointing out the wildly different MSRP on both cars and the cost to fuel them.
And regardless of diesel's efficiency, it still costs more to get that mileage. You have to look at cost per mile. That's all that matters.
First, on that link you posted, look at all the options on it. I was talking base model, which is about $17K.

Quote:"And regardless of diesel's efficiency, it still costs more to get that mileage."

Did you ever take Thermodynamics in college? (assuming you went). The efficiency of a diesel is higher (in dollars per mile driven). Please read about it.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,252,189 times
My my the arrogance in some of these posts is amazing.

Buying a car isn't always a by the numbers exercise. Maybe the iQ isn't a "best buy" measured by normal numbers. But it is good looking. It is very compact, but unlike the Smart it can carry more than two, at least for a short distance. The fuel economy isn't best in class, but it is definitely better than the Fit.

The energy content of diesel vs. gasoline doesn't matter. Nobody driving a diesel wakes up feeling better because their car uses fuel with more energy per gallon. All they really care about is MPG, though they should care more about $ per mile.

Maybe Toyota will find a way to get 110 Hp into that car next year. It would probably be more fun to drive, especially with a stick shift. Even now though I bet some young urban people would like the iQ. They may only see 60 MPH once a week.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
First, on that link you posted, look at all the options on it. I was talking base model, which is about $17K.

Quote:"And regardless of diesel's efficiency, it still costs more to get that mileage."

Did you ever take Thermodynamics in college? (assuming you went). The efficiency of a diesel is higher (in dollars per mile driven). Please read about it.
That IS base model TDI! It goes up from there. It's the 2.5 Golf that starts at $17k.
And yes, diesel is very efficient, but you are still paying more for it. And when the difference in price of the cars is that high, it's going to take you years and years to make up that difference by fuel alone when the diesel is making 5mpg more (your numbers) than the car running on 87 octane. Check Fuelly for real world cost per mile on both cars. People are spending about $0.11 per mile on BOTH cars.

Once again, I'd buy the TDI if it was me because it would fit my needs better. But for someone else, the iQ may be the way to go!

Old 05-15-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
my my the arrogance in some of these posts is amazing.

i just wish people would do there homework first, but it is none of my business.

buying a car isn't always a by the numbers exercise.

exactly. Don't care about fuel economy here.

maybe the iq isn't a "best buy" measured by normal numbers. But it is good looking. It is very compact, but unlike the smart it can carry more than two, at least for a short distance. The fuel economy isn't best in class, but it is definitely better than the fit.

The energy content of diesel vs. Gasoline doesn't matter. Nobody driving a diesel wakes up feeling better because their car uses fuel with more energy per gallon.

most certainly does. If someone cares about $/mile, then they should take that into account. I have a car that gets a whole 5 miles per gallon. Who cares?

all they really care about is mpg, though they should care more about $ per mile.

and thus is why diesel rules.

maybe toyota will find a way to get 110 hp into that car next year. It would probably be more fun to drive, especially with a stick shift. Even now though i bet some young urban people would like the iq. They may only see 60 mph once a week.

110hp? My slow-as-a-boat volvo 240dl had 120hp, and that was 26 years ago. My old chevy makes 140hp at wot at idle. I guess all the rules for cars have changed. I guess i haven't been watching enough tv to see the trends.
i would think, that if concerned about money, young urbans wouldn't even have a car, would rent a zipcar when needed, and call it a day.
jmho.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 PM

LOL, have you seen the weight of the iq vs your old volvo tank?
And have you seen the vids of head on collisions of cheap cars like Kia slicing through those old heavy volvos like they were butter. You're right... the rules have definitely changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion