Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

I'd let the noise go for now until you can bring it to a trusted mechanic and say whats that noise? Along with the crunch noise when coming to a stop i'm starting to suspect wheel bearing causing both problems, if it only happens when you turn left it would be one of the right wheels and vice versa.cant say for sure at this point but it would be something i'd have a mechanic check out next time the car is at the garage.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-23-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
mag32gie, go under the hood and look for a cap labled "power steering fluid only", something along those lines. Open it up and see if it needs to be topped up. There should be little marks somewhere on the resevoir, one up high that says "full", and other down low that says "add". If it's low, go get some fluid from an auto store and top it up. That whine just might be happening in turns, because it's starved for fluid. Is that whine happening whenever you turn the wheel? Or just while you're moving?

The crunch - see if it keeps happening for a bit. It could just be from the car sitting for a while, and the brakes have rust or something on them. But yes, take it to a trusted mechanic as soon as you can.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
take it to a trusted mechanic as soon as you can.
For vague symptoms you describe an untrustworthy mechanic could potentially take you to the cleaners with unnecessary repairs, do a Google search for your area for consumer organizations that may recommend honest garage or at least steer you clear of the bad ones.https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&safe=of...iw=834&bih=479

Old 09-23-2012, 10:57 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
If crunching sound when turning on the left or to the right, the possible reason for this drive system.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on a 2005 Toyota Echo? Help!-50.jpg  

Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I am thinking about this car but would need opinions because I really don't know much about cars.
This is what the add says.

"2005 Toyota Echo 4-door sedan, 4-cyl, 1.5 Litter, front wheel drive. Automatic, air conditioning, manual windows, AM/FM, MP3 single disc player, tilt wheel, dual airbags.
Dark blue exterior, gray cloth interior. No fluid leaks, no strange noise. A/C and heat works perfect. Emission inspection passed last year. Excellent mechanical condition.
Clean title history, 1 original owner, low mileage. The odometer reads 137,800 Kilometers, which is equal to approx. 85,450 MILES, very low mileage for its age!
Very clean. A few small scratches/dings. Really fuel efficient, very reliable!"

My 17 year old car is almost dead and I babysit for my grandchildren, I will have to take 4 buses a day and it will take app 3 hours but longer in bad weather. I will be driving for 1 1/2 hours a day.
They are asking $4,900 and said I can have a mechanic inspect the car. The car sounds like what I need but like I said, I know nothing about cars.
Please give me your opinions? It is 30 miles away to go look at it.
Thanks
I hate the Echo, but that's just me. Some people love it. You can't beat Toyotas for reliability and longevity, though. Be sure to have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hate the Echo, but that's just me. Some people love it. You can't beat Toyotas for reliability and longevity, though. Be sure to have it checked out by a mechanic before you buy.
I remember when they first came out i told my wife to shoot me if i ever wanted a car that ugly
She spared my life as i eventually looked past the styling to what was a little gem of a car that was reliable,economical to run,bulletproof reliable,and just the ticket for daily commuting in these days of high gas prices,am now on second Echo and having reservations about selling the first one at only 300,000 kms,i'll bet the guy i sold it to is still happily driving it.My newer 05 Echo i'm going for 400,000 before selling it we're at 150K now,And Just in case it fails me i also have an 08 Yaris sedan to drive while the Echo is getting fixed..

Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 AM

You know, there's such a car Vista Ардэо She went out with 98 and up to 05 if memory doesn't fail, there she is ugly, but In it a lot of advantages - High ground clearance, spacious, high ceiling, very reliable motor (3S). Minus cheap interior which is constantly razdrozhaet. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so the Echo. A good solid, simple machine. Though and not very looks.In Kamchatka this Echo is almost in two is more expensive than you bought it.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
You know, there's such a car Vista Ардэо She went out with 98 and up to 05 if memory doesn't fail, there she is ugly, but In it a lot of advantages - High ground clearance, spacious, high ceiling, very reliable motor (3S). Minus cheap interior which is constantly razdrozhaet. But the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, so the Echo. A good solid, simple machine. Though and not very looks.In Kamchatka this Echo is almost in two is more expensive than you bought it.
If this is it i like it..
?????? ?????? ????? ????? - ???????? ?????????? ? ???????????? ?? Slando

Old 09-24-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What is the question? Can be in other words please.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Its not a question its a link, click on it..its a picture of the Vista Ардэо
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion