Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,619,078 times

Advertisements

Managed such a terrible, but practical.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on a 2005 Toyota Echo? Help!-.jpg   Opinions on a 2005 Toyota Echo? Help!-.jpg   Opinions on a 2005 Toyota Echo? Help!-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Hutch - Back handsomer
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on a 2005 Toyota Echo? Help!-.jpg  

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Hutch - Back handsomer
Yes the wagon looks much better,surprised they never tried to sell it over here in North America

Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I still just don't understand her saying that 137,000 miles is really 87,000 miles???
My Chevy Cavalier has 94,000 miles (almost dead now) and I thought that is how many miles it has.
Is Toyota different?
The add you posted was quoting 137,000 kilometers, which works out to 87,000 miles. If the car/owner was originally from Canada, then they would be using kilometers instead of miles to track things. Most likely the car lets you pick whether to display things in either kilometers or miles.

In general, yes the Japanese brand compact cars tend to be of much higher quality and longevity then their US counterparts. The current 2011+ market is a little different where the current Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze are much more competitive and higher quality vehicles, but in the age of cars you are looking at, the Japanese brands are the way to go.

The Echo was not popular at the time it was sold simply because gas was cheap and Americans tended to eschew small cars. Overall it was pretty reliable and there was nothing wrong with it, other then a lot of people didn't like the center mounted gauges.

Quote:
Jambo, it looks just like my new car!!! Same color! I do like the car, I just hope its ok.

I drove just a while ago and the whine seems to come when I am turning, Greykarest is right I hope.
I noticed something else though, there is a sound when I am at a stop and holding the brake down and I think when I let up, sort of like a crunching sound. Other than these 2 things, everything is good so far.
The whine could be CV joints, but my first guess would be the power steering pump. This can be caused by the belts your mechanic noticed or just low fluid. The brakes grinding is pretty typical for a car that has been sitting. The brakes develop rust from moisture and this can cause the brakes to "stick" a little when you're letting off and that can cause the grinding noise you are hearing. It should get better with time, but is not itself indicative of an issue.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
The KMS/miles is dictated by the speedometer ring,up here in Canada its large numerals in Kilometers on the outside ring with smaller (Halfsize) miles numerals on the inner ring.I'd presume an American version Echo would be Vica-Versa.Odometer readings are a digital readout and may have to be reset to change one to the other.
As for Echo popularity in the USA? i've made several trips to Florida and back from Montreal and never seen another Echo on the whole trip..

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Yes the wagon looks much better,surprised they never tried to sell it over here in North America
In Russia is such that the cars which are bought in the European part of Russia differ from the Far-East. Sometimes it happens that some of the car, I didn't even see. Can in America as well?You have Subaru B4. use? Uvas sell only >\Vista or Vista-Promenant (this is a Vista in the back of the Camry and on the contrary)?(not Ардео)

Old 09-27-2012, 08:04 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
In Russia is such that the cars which are bought in the European part of Russia differ from the Far-East. Sometimes it happens that some of the car, I didn't even see. Can in America as well?You have Subaru B4. use? Uvas sell only >\Vista or Vista-Promenant (this is a Vista in the back of the Camry and on the contrary)?(not Ардео)
Jambo?
I have been driving the car back and forth to work in Chicago rush hour traffic. Driving 1 1/2 hrs total everyday. I am feeling very nervous that a fender bender would crush the car or kill me!!! Will it???

Another thing, 2 mechanics say I need front brakes with rotors. They put the car up, look at it and judge that way, (by the way, the sound is gone after driving a while) I thought you had to take things apart to know if you need new rotors or not??? What do you think? I asked 1 if maybe I just need new pads and he said nowadays they always put new rotors too. Is this correct???
I have narrowed my mechanic search to these 2 guys and want to trust them but still feel the need to check up.

I also need new shocks and then two new tires in the back after replacing the shocks.
Since I am broke and can only do 1 at a time, I have asked each which should I do first.
One said the brakes first and then the shocks and TWO new tires later.
The other said shocks first before the brakes and to only buy ONE tire.
I thought you were always suppose to buy two.
What is your opinion since you owned a car like this one.
Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Jambo?
I have been driving the car back and forth to work in Chicago rush hour traffic. Driving 1 1/2 hrs total everyday. I am feeling very nervous that a fender bender would crush the car or kill me!!! Will it???

Another thing, 2 mechanics say I need front brakes with rotors. They put the car up, look at it and judge that way, (by the way, the sound is gone after driving a while) I thought you had to take things apart to know if you need new rotors or not??? What do you think? I asked 1 if maybe I just need new pads and he said nowadays they always put new rotors too. Is this correct???
I have narrowed my mechanic search to these 2 guys and want to trust them but still feel the need to check up.

I also need new shocks and then two new tires in the back after replacing the shocks.
Since I am broke and can only do 1 at a time, I have asked each which should I do first.
One said the brakes first and then the shocks and TWO new tires later.
The other said shocks first before the brakes and to only buy ONE tire.
I thought you were always suppose to buy two.
What is your opinion since you owned a car like this one.
Thanks
Yes you can change only the pads, but if the mechanics say that you need to replace the rotors I think better to do. The brake is your security, ie life don't take chances. As for the wheels, rubber that always buy the pair ie 2 of the same. the spare tire can be one.
I hope I understand you correctly! ?I hope I could give you the right advice!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:22 AM

Sound behind the Steering wheel, It is the creaking, grinding? When you turn to the left or to the right? This Drive system

Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Brakes always come first. Two tires for the Echo aren't espensive, especially if you shop around but don't go too cheap because tires are also part of your braking system. Shocks aren't that expensive, but struts can cost a pretty penny. But all at once is expensive if on a tight budget. Take care of the brakes. Get estimates on the other work and tires. Budget your money to put cash aside each month for these repairs and get them done as soon as you have the money. Don't forget the belts. Keep up with vehicle maintenance like fluids and filters to keep it running. You'll save money on gas compared to the cavalier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion