Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Thinking about getting an FJ Cruiser. Like the looks of it. Won't be driving very far so MPG doesn't mean too much. Can't find too much online about it reliability wise. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:54 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
hurry up.....2014 is the last year of production.

Couple things I didn't like was the blind spots and the back seat access.......

Old 01-30-2014, 04:09 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
It's basically a 4Runner.
Btw, you very wrong on mpg. The shorter the trips, the worse it is.
No one discontinues good cars. Look at Accords or Landcruisers or Camrys. Made for generations almost. FJ is an unsuccessful side child of Toyota. Leave those things to Nissan, it became its specialty.
But yes, it's a Toyota with 4WD. Have at it. Personally, I'd rather have Landcruiser. THAT is reliable vehicle. Sort of curious observation. Why do you think the so called terrorists like it so much? Never so one driving a FJ.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's basically a 4Runner.
Btw, you very wrong on mpg. The shorter the trips, the worse it is.
No one discontinues good cars. Look at Accords or Landcruisers or Camrys. Made for generations almost. FJ is an unsuccessful side child of Toyota. Leave those things to Nissan, it became its specialty.
But yes, it's a Toyota with 4WD. Have at it. Personally, I'd rather have Landcruiser. THAT is reliable vehicle. Sort of curious observation. Why do you think the so called terrorists like it so much? Never so one driving a FJ.
What cars are you describing?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:23 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
I'd drive it.

Urkoz, I disagree. There are more factors that go into discontinuing a car than just that it's "good" or "bad".
Sales, and company strategy are a few.

Look at the Supra. A fine car, discontinued.
Look at the RSX/Integra

The FJ is a niche. It's a fine vehicle, and I'd definitely rock one.
It obviously isn't in line with whatever Toyota wants to do.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
wheelsup, you could check the Consumer Reports car issue, maybe check several years back, for some rough idea of FJ reliability.

Not sure why you are particularly interested in it, for the same mony IMHO there are more interesting cars out there. But if you like it, go for it.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
They are very capable off road yet actually pretty nice on road as well. I willing to bet 99.9 % of actual owners would say they absolutely love them and the other .1% can never just seem to get over the two or three compromises that they have that were already brought up. Those being the slightly less than avergae mpg, compromised rear seat room for consistent adult/multiple kid usage, and the less than ideal rearward visibility for those that are not so good with using their rear view mirrors.

Btw... since someone brought up it's cousin the 4Runner.

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/01/30/toy..._river_article

Old 01-30-2014, 05:42 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
It was interesting when we were in CO this last summer. The FJs were pretty popular up in Ouray and the off roading crowd. Our guide said they have their own "rally " up there going over the mountain to Telluride. Of course, there was nothing said about reliability.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
FJ Cruiser is the Toyota version of the Jeep wrangler Unlimted 4-door fuel economy and a some blind spots are going to be what you have to deal with to have vehicles that are actually still linked to their Retro designs and are just as capable and stick to the simple approach to off-roading that make them so great at it.

Heck the J-series in the land cruiser is not have original name of the Toyota Jeep BJ since the CJ stood for civilian jeep and well it was sold by Willys Overland then AMC and Chrysler now Fiat is owns Chrysler and the Jeep Brand so modern 3RD gen wrangler is a lot like the modern FJ made to meet modern safety and emissions standards and still look like the J-40 series of Land cruiser as the wrangler still looks like a modern Jeep CJ.

The war put a Jeep on Japan's doorstep. The United States government ordered 100 vehicles with the new Willys specs and Toyota was asked to build them

1951 — The Toyota "Jeep" BJ prototype was developed in January 1951. This came from the demand for military-type utility vehicles, much like the British Land Rover Series 1 that appeared in 1948. The Jeep BJ was larger than the original U.S. Jeep and more powerful thanks to its Type B 3.4 L six-cylinder OHV Gasoline engine which generated 63 kW (86 PS; 84 hp) at 3600 rpm and 215 N·m (159 lb·ft) torque at 1600 rpm. It had a part-time four-wheel drive system like the Jeep. Unlike the Jeep, however, the Jeep BJ had no low-range transfer case.

1951 — In July 1951, Toyota's test driver Ichiro Taira drove the next generation of the Jeep BJ prototype up to the sixth stage of Mount Fuji, the first vehicle to climb that high. The test was overseen by the National Police Agency (NPA). Impressed by this feat, the NPA quickly placed an order for 289 of these offroad vehicles, making the Jeep BJ their official patrol car.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
1953 — Regular production of the "Toyota Jeep BJ" began at Toyota Honsya Plant (Rolling chassis assembly), and body assembly and painting was done at Arakawa Bankin Kogyo KK, later known as ARACO (now an affiliate of Toyota Auto Body Co.).[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] The "Toyota Jeep BJ" Series was introduced alongside the following:

1954 — The name "Land Cruiser" was created by the technical director Hanji Umehara. "In England we had another competitor — Land Rover. I had to come up with a name for our car that would not sound less dignified than those of our competitors. That is why I decided to call it 'Land Cruiser'," he recalls.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] The name had already been used on the US Studebaker Land Cruiser car from 1934 to 1954 but this didn't cause any problems

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-30-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
My neighbors had one. The wife never liked the styling, and didn't like shuffling kids in and out of it. The husband liked the utility aspect of it, but not as much as a Jeep Grand Cherokee. So, they sold it after about 2 years of ownership. I think it was fairly reliable during that time, except for one time they had to replace the front brake rotors, but that's the only thing to go wrong on it that I know of. Had well over 100k on it, I think like 150k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion