Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex N Cal View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry for the late response. I am still planning on getting the Tacoma. It will be complete later in the week. However, I would be lying if I said I haven't been researching the Tundra (and Sierra). I'm sure I would go with a Toyota no matter what though.

Originally, I started looking for a mid-size truck because of cost and fuel economy. However, after researching the Tacoma, I really liked what it had to offer including it's more compact size as opposed to a larger truck that takes up more space. Plus, I was swayed by its loyal supporters and great resale value. The initial cost did come as a surprise, but I guess that's the free market; people like me will pay the price. I do have some hesitation when it comes to interior room, which will probably be the only reason for me not buying the truck. If I don't fit comfortably in this truck, it's a no-go. I shouldn't have that problem in a Tundra.
Like I said earlier, the back seat in the Tacoma is tight. Set the seat up front for yourself and then climb in back and you'll see. I've had 4 adults in my truck, but it wasn't comfortable for anyone and was short hops only. If you and your passengers are on the short side, you may be ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Here's the Tacoma's ancestor doing what it does best:

Killing a Toyota - YouTube

Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I had a tiny little Tacoma - totally stripped down version. Drove it for almost a decade and 150,000 miles before it got pancaked in a crash. I LOVED that truck. Over the years I owned it, I put maybe $1500 into it in maintenance over the years. I think I replaced the battery, plugs, tires and the starter and a few belts. That was it.

I visited an ex who was a mechanic after I bought the truck, and he was thrilled with my choice. I have never heard anything but good things about the Tacoma.

Due to lack of cash after it got wrecked, I am driving 98 Ford Ranger these days. It's a good truck, but... it's not the Tacoma.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:54 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Tex N Cal: It really depends on what you're looking for. There's no right or wrong decision, so don't regret your decision. I personally would choose a Tacoma because the Tundra barely fits in my garage. I need to fit a snowblower and my truck in my garage during the winter, so the extra 20" the Tundra has just doesn't fit. The Tundra's turning radius is also 3-4 feet larger than the Tacoma's, so I wouldn't be able to make U-Turns on many of the narrow roads in my area. I'd have to drive around the block (an extra 5 minutes) just to get to a McDonalds on the other side of the road. Simply put, it's too much truck for my needs.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Like I said earlier, the back seat in the Tacoma is tight. Set the seat up front for yourself and then climb in back and you'll see. I've had 4 adults in my truck, but it wasn't comfortable for anyone and was short hops only. If you and your passengers are on the short side, you may be ok.
My brother-in-law is about 6'2 and he has never complained while riding back there. I always ask him if I need to move the seat up, and he says no. I wouldn't want anything other than the double cab. I don't drive people very often, but I wanted the big 4 doors so I could easily get a car seat and kid in and out someday (no kids yet). I could see it being cramped back there if someone is on the larger (fatter) side since the truck isn't very wide.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,812,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
You must be talking about the extended cab. The double cab has plenty of room in the back, even for a 6 footer!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
[quote=raveabouttoast;35267300]Here's the Tacoma's ancestor doing what it does best:

[
]Killing a Toyota - YouTube
Love this Episode of top gear. Toyota is the king of small truck

Last edited by hitman619; 06-17-2014 at 11:01 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
You are really better off with a 1500 truck. The price difference isn't enormous and the difference in gas millage is negligible.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
You are really better off with a 1500 truck. The price difference isn't enormous and the difference in gas millage is negligible.
I priced out a new tundra and tacoma when searching for a new truck. You can actually buy a Tundra for less than a Tacoma when you add in the rebates. Tacomas are so good at selling that you pay sticker price.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:46 PM

73 posts, read 141,337 times
Thanks again for all of the replies. I'm still sticking with the Tacoma as of now and pretty happy about it. We'll see how she looks in person when she gets to the dealership this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion