Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:56 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
That's often the trouble with going to the dealership to get work done. Friend of mine worked for a Toyota dealer service dept. for about a month before quitting due to this kind of carp.

Sounds fishy to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 07:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
They suck. Gas is dirt cheap. Why suffer in the shoebox when gas is 2.90 a gallon

Old 12-07-2014, 07:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Well, that is incorrect. I drive a lot of highway miles, and the Prius does fine. At speeds of 65 mph and under, mine does 48-50 mpg almost without exception. It also does that mpg driving at high altitude over 10,000 ft. mountain passes. I don't get it when clowns post that it won't climb hills. Mine will maintain 60-65 mph climbing a 7% sustained grade at over 8,000 ft. elevation with the cruise control set--and still get 50 mpg. And, when somebody posts, "Well, my ABC will get 40 mpg on the highway," do they realize that means that the Prius is getting 25% better fuel economy at 50 mpg than what they drive? And, if they're getting 25 mpg in city driving, that the Prius is getting DOUBLE that fuel economy? Maybe math wasn't their strong suit?

Prius haters love to say that replacing a battery pack at, say, 200K miles means that the car must be no good. Hmmm, what kind of shape is the typical gasoline engine in at 200K miles? And how soon might it have to be replaced and at what cost?

I think driving less saves a hell of a lot more gas. There was a study once that Prius drivers drive more than gas powered cars which sucks a lot of savings away.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:55 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
They suck. Gas is dirt cheap. Why suffer in the shoebox when gas is 2.90 a gallon
And never going up again!

Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
All of a sudden, I have noticed a spike in the amount of used Toyota Prius cars for sale in classified ads. The first obvious correlation that comes to mind is that owners no longer feel the need to own a fuel efficient car now that gasoline prices have tumbled. However, isn't that short-sighted, since oil prices could spike again and even if they don't, driving one of these hybrids now is super cheap fuel wise. The ones I see for sale have regular miles 12k-15k per year, and are less than four years old. Are these cars primary redeeming value their fuel efficiency and then everything else about them is inferior, hence the sudden surge in the amount of Prius for sale?

I've read that financial planners don't recommend the Prius for cost savings because replacing the main battery negates any fuel efficiency savings. Don't know at what year they usually go bad, but a main battery replacement would make buying a 2010 Prius with very low miles at a good price moot.

What do you all think about buying a used hybrid in an era of low fuel prices?
Replacing the battery is a non-issue. The risk of having to replace the battery in a Prius is less than the risk of having to replace a geared automatic transmission or manual clutch. Those financial planners aren't good at assessing risk... which is more concerning with the bigger picture.

I think a lot of people purchases Prius's without assessing their needs. My drive to work is just a few miles. A Prius makes no sense. An EV, on the other hand, makes complete sense.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Maybe they are worried the expensive batteries will die and they will have to pay for a new one?
Are you worried that your transmission or clutch will break and you'll have to get a new one? Considering that a battery replacement is much less likely than one of those, it's a silly thing to be worried about. If that's the reason, they obviously aren't the wisest people.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is likely, though there are still plenty of people hanging onto them. A relative still has her 2007, and just spent $600 to replace a battery - the normal 12V one that powers the starter. A lot of labor due to having to remove the back seat to get to it and almost $200 for the battery at Toyota.
Advanced Auto Parts would have done the replacement for free if you purchase the battery from them (which they sell for $150).

Old 12-07-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
She got ripped off. lol

The battery is actually in the trunk on the passenger side next to the spare tire. It takes maybe 30 minutes to change if you have never even done one. It takes a dry cell battery like an optima which you can find for $125 to $150 at automotive battery stores. They will even put them in for you while you wait. She could have gotten it done for less than $250 easy.
Def got ripped off.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessamichaels View Post
Why so many used Prius for sale? Bc all the follower losers that hopped on a trend realized that they are the ugliest cars on earth. Can you name an uglier car? Yuck! I can't.
I didn't realise this thread was about you.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It actually runs ~3K to replace the battery pack, subtracting off the return credit and adding on a couple hours labor.

I don't think anyone is expecting it to drive like an M3. But it shouldn't be completely horrible either. It should also actually deliver on the stated fuel economy (IME it doesn't even come close).
A transmission replacement on a traditional vehicle can cost just as much and is more likely to need replacement than a Prius drivetrain battery (by quite a margin). So that really is a silly thing to consider.

I rented the Lexus C200h for 2 months while on a business trip. It's based on the Prius and handles really well. I liken it to the handling of the old Lexus IS300. It's a bit slow at pickup (but it also has a fraction of the HP of my Benz). I got well into the 40s for MPG. Which is a little above what it is rated. Not bad for a car that can stick to the road like an IS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion