Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It's because people who buy a Prius are often making a statement with their purchase, and if you are zipping by them in the left lane you may not be getting the message. If you are stuck behind them going 60 miles an hour in the fast lane while you're trying to get to work, however, you are definitely getting the message!
Uh... no. Just your perception. I recently drove my Prius 900 miles out of town, and set my cruise control at 80 most of the way. Generally, I was the one passing other cars. And I'm quite aware of driving in the right lane unless passing. Never have I been stuck behind another Prius going slow in the fast lane.

As for driving to work, the freeway I take has 5 lanes in each direction, usually impossible to go even close to the speed limit due to heavy volume. The whole "pass on the left" thing is rather useless when you have 5 lanes all crawling along. There is NO fast lane in rush hour if you're in a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I just think differently than Prius owners - I was mildly interested when I was looking for a new car but they were priced so much higher than what I wanted. And it was WAY more than any gas savings would cover! So it does seem a bit smug to pay so much more to save something on gas - sorry I'm not rich enough for such savings!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I swear, this is one thing that I do NOT understand. I see so many instances of these slow-left-lane Prius drivers. It is so annoying, and I just don't get why they do it.
If you hated Honda Civics, you'd probably be more likely to notice every one not doing what you deemed appropriate driving.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I just think differently than Prius owners - I was mildly interested when I was looking for a new car but they were priced so much higher than what I wanted. And it was WAY more than any gas savings would cover! So it does seem a bit smug to pay so much more to save something on gas - sorry I'm not rich enough for such savings!
The base Prius is $24k MSRP and it is a lot better made than Civics, Corollas, and Elantras.

Forget about the gas saving part, just on the car itself it is a better build car than most cars similar size.

Prius is very quiet especially in electric mode and I actually prefers the way it drives in electric mode than gas. In Gas mode you have to wait for the engine to give you power with electric the power is instant. Which is why I usually beat other cars in the parking lot races in electric mode it is like a go cart.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I did the math on mine and it made sense and saves me money. I didn't set out to get one, but I needed a vehicle that had good leg room in the back for baby/child booster seats, and the Prius has a lot of leg room. Plus it held a double stroller in the hatchback. And then I've never owned anything but higher mileage cars. I refuse to spend a lot on gas.

My Prius was probably $4k more than a Corolla with similar options (but the Corolla doesn't have the leg room I need). Anyway, I've had the Prius for 6 years and did the math, and I've saved roughly over $3000 on gas over what I would have if I'd purchased the Corolla. But it's not apples to apples since I have more space/hauling capability with the Prius. I plan on keeping the Prius for another 4 years, then get something new. By then, I will have made up for the extra price.

Just looking at pricing today, the Corolla ranges from about $17K (stripped down) to $22K (all options). The Prius starts at $23K for the basic hybrid (goes to $30K for the plug in). So really, you can get a Prius for not much more than a Corolla. And the Corolla is only going to get around 28mpg. city driving, whereas the Prius will get 50 mpg.

If you drive very little, then any hybrid probably doesn't make sense for your budget. But if you drive average or above miles, they can. But I've found Prius haters who think they cost over $40K. Don't know where that comes from.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:19 PM

290 posts, read 288,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I don't know, on my way to work I usually see the same 4 or 5 Prius drivers on the northern stretch of my trip. They usually speed, cut people off, run red lights. The speeding is funny because it uses more gas I guess. Apparently that defeats the purpose of a Prius.

If you really care about your carbon footprint, become a vegan, not a Prius driver. ;(
+1

Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,302,039 times
I bought a Prius simply for my commute a few years ago when I was driving 120 miles round trip every day. Yes, it saved me $ on gas, but you know what saved me MORE money on gas? I got a job closer to my house! I drive 11 miles 1-way to work each day now and I love it.

One of the happiest days of my life was the day I sold that damn Prius. I had been toying with the idea of buying one when my VW Passatt crapped out on me and was going to cost way more to repair than it was worth. So, I bought a Prius in February 2011. After the novelty wore off, I hated that car more & more every day. the wimpy tires & wheels, the sheet metal on the body so thin that a man leaning against the car would dent it, the horrible road noise, the uncomfortable seats, being blown around on the freeway every time a larger vehicle passed. I sold it on my own using Craigslist in 2013. I broke even...sold it within a few dollars of what the loan payoff was. I was thrilled.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:56 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
This morning a damn Prius ran me off the road. Narrow 2-lane country road. He comes barreling down the middle of the road and I had to swerve my truck into the ditch to avoid him. I should've played chicken, but he'd probably be dead if I did that. Nearly half of all my run-ins with stupid drivers over the past couple years were driving a Prius.
That's nothing. The other day, I saw a Prius driver with an AR-15 aimed out the window, just crazily shooting at the other drivers. It seemed like he was mainly targeting the big gas guzzlers.

Those Prius drivers are loco.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:12 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Probably depends how much you drive. The gas savings between the Mazda3 hatchback (2.0) and Prius will pay for the difference for me in about two years. Maybe more like three now that gas prices have dropped. I paid just over 20k for mine brand-new, so there's really not much out there that's much less. Maybe $5k or so less but that's going to get you a Fiesta or Yaris which I wouldn't look at anyone because I sometimes have clients in the back seat. They do hold their value stupidly well, however. Another reason I bought one.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:24 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I swear, this is one thing that I do NOT understand. I see so many instances of these slow-left-lane Prius drivers. It is so annoying, and I just don't get why they do it.
Are they actually slow?

Often times if the traffic is heavy I'll be in the left lane because I don't want to zip in and out of trucks. I'll go the speed of the car ahead of me, but I still leave plenty of space in front of me. I can't count the number of times I've played leapfrop with the squirrels weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating who exacerbate traffic jams and cause accidents. And yes, the closer they tailgate the more room I leave in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion