Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:38 PM

12 posts, read 41,812 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm shopping for a small-midsize SUV and I came across the 4runner, why are used 4runner models so expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM

This is going to be my first suv btw, I have also noticed that 4runners drive slow and handle like crap and don't have many features compared to much cheaper SUVs.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:51 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
By "expensive" do you mean in relation to similar vehicles from other manufacturers? If so there are a couple of possibilities.

Number one, it may have a better reputation than the competition which would mean that demand is driving the price up.

Number two, it may retail for more than similar vehicles which would cause them to be higher priced when used even if the depreciation rates are the same.

And it could be a combination of the two.

If you're asking why they're so expensive in general, the answer is because cars are expensive.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:53 PM

431 posts, read 599,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notbriancho View Post
This is going to be my first suv btw, I have also noticed that 4runners drive slow and handle like crap and don't have many features compared to much cheaper SUVs.
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but why are you buying one then? Toyota trucks and SUVs hold their value because they're reliable and last well. The Tacoma pickup and the Rav-4 both command good 2nd hand prices too.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:04 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Probably because they are one of the most reliable and longest lasting vehicles on the road.

Sure, you can buy a 5 year old BMW suv for the same price, but enjoy the maintenance and repair costs..

Like mentioned, you are complaining about it and speaking so negative, why on earth would you buy it?

Old 03-10-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but why are you buying one then? Toyota trucks and SUVs hold their value because they're reliable and last well. The Tacoma pickup and the Rav-4 both command good 2nd hand prices too.
I see old 4runners on the road all the time so I figured they will be reliable. But still Im pretty shocked to see older models with over 70k on the odometer still selling for over $25k.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:19 PM

134 posts, read 471,822 times
Quote:
I see old 4runners on the road all the time so I figured they will be reliable. But still Im pretty shocked to see older models with over 70k on the odometer still selling for over $25k.
What year is this? I just saw a limited with 67k miles for about $17k AND it was a V8. It was 2007 model year IIRC

I'm not sure which year you are looking to buy used but there are two reasons for high resale value of last generation 4Runners.
1. All trim levels came with full time 4WD
2. Last generation to have the v8 engine

Also these are true body on frame SUVs, not unibody CUVs like most of its competitors. This explains your observations of "slow" and handling like "crap" vs cheaper alternatives (most likely CUVs).

If you don't have a need for a body on frame SUV, I'd pass on 4Runner. Unless you absolutely are in love with the truck.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:50 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
4Runners hold their value SUPER well. It's not a good car to buy used, if you want one get it new. They are very robust.

Look for a Tahoe/Yukon instead. You can get a much better deal (lower miles/newer/nicer trim) than a 4Runner for the comparable price.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Hi all. I'm shopping for a small-midsize SUV and I came across the 4runner, why are used 4runner models so expensive?
It's an ever-popular vehicle built on a great platform (Tacoma/Hilux) that people always want, probably for the same reason(s) you want one.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
One of the best vehicles ever made regardless of the generation, super reliable, have a large fan base, and some other factors result in it having one of the highest resale values around.

"This is going to be my first suv btw, I have also noticed that 4runners drive slow and handle like crap and don't have many features compared to much cheaper SUVs."

They are off-road vehicles, what do you expect, them to drive like a Corvette? Have the luxury of a Lexus? Some people...
Oh yes, if those cheaper SUVs are so great, by all means, go purchase one then. The 4runner excels at its purpose, which is off-road, not looking pretty cruising around the mall parking lot, though it does that pretty well.

I think you really missed the point about what a 4runner is, you are probably better off with a Highlander or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion