Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 08:43 PM

19 posts, read 25,396 times

Advertisements

**2007 Highlander V6 AWD Limited, 86k miles.** The carfax has full service records and shows the oil was changed religiously every 3k miles. No other records/accidents/etc noted. Average about 10k miles/year. Single owner. It also has *all* the options on top of being the Limited trim. Power seats, heated seat, sunroof, leather, tow package, etc.

Price: $16987 (this was their initial list/offer price). (KBB has the range from $16831 to $19834 with a fair purchase price of $18,333. NADA has it at $16,225). I would expect to be able to get this lower. I really didn't expect to be considering a purchase until they came back with the trade in offer on my current car.

Taxes - $594

License - $161

Dealer Handling - $134

Trade - $8500 (-$600)

Now my trade is a 2011 Mazda3. I want to get into a highlander because the mazda3 is too small for my family and I need AWD to get out of my driveway in the winter. I also like the smooth ride on the highway, where I spend a lot of time during the week. I'm sick of having a garage I can't use in the winter. The car has 70k miles on it. My ex-wife put a big ding on the driver's side door (and ****ed up my garage door last year). I got quoted about $1200-1400 to fix it but haven't gotten around to it. KBB told me to expect about $7k ($7100 to $8100 on NADA) on a trade for the Mazda, so $8500 seems like a gift to me. Honestly, being able to get out of that car for $600 seems like a steal because the lack of cruise control makes me crazy and the cost to fix the door is more than that. I put no money down on it originally 25 months ago.

**My Concern**

After I got home, I called back to the dealer to see if it had been a trade in or an auction purchase. My salesman had already left but the guy on the phone said he was pretty sure it was an auction purchase. My question is why would the original dealer who sold the car new and serviced the car entirely for its life so far, sell it at auction? Does that indicate they know of an issue with it?

Thanks for your help in advance and please let me know if I can add any other information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM

922 posts, read 1,150,052 times
You can get one for $14k.

Toyota Highlanders for Sale in New York, NY 10001: cars under 15000 - Autotrader

Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolfDad View Post
**2007 Highlander V6 AWD Limited, 86k miles.** The carfax has full service records and shows the oil was changed religiously every 3k miles. No other records/accidents/etc noted. Average about 10k miles/year. Single owner. It also has *all* the options on top of being the Limited trim. Power seats, heated seat, sunroof, leather, tow package, etc.

Price: $16987 (this was their initial list/offer price). (KBB has the range from $16831 to $19834 with a fair purchase price of $18,333. NADA has it at $16,225). I would expect to be able to get this lower. I really didn't expect to be considering a purchase until they came back with the trade in offer on my current car.

Taxes - $594

License - $161

Dealer Handling - $134

Trade - $8500 (-$600)

Now my trade is a 2011 Mazda3. I want to get into a highlander because the mazda3 is too small for my family and I need AWD to get out of my driveway in the winter. I also like the smooth ride on the highway, where I spend a lot of time during the week. I'm sick of having a garage I can't use in the winter. The car has 70k miles on it. My ex-wife put a big ding on the driver's side door (and ****ed up my garage door last year). I got quoted about $1200-1400 to fix it but haven't gotten around to it. KBB told me to expect about $7k ($7100 to $8100 on NADA) on a trade for the Mazda, so $8500 seems like a gift to me. Honestly, being able to get out of that car for $600 seems like a steal because the lack of cruise control makes me crazy and the cost to fix the door is more than that. I put no money down on it originally 25 months ago.

**My Concern**

After I got home, I called back to the dealer to see if it had been a trade in or an auction purchase. My salesman had already left but the guy on the phone said he was pretty sure it was an auction purchase. My question is why would the original dealer who sold the car new and serviced the car entirely for its life so far, sell it at auction? Does that indicate they know of an issue with it?

Thanks for your help in advance and please let me know if I can add any other information.
You are paying full sticker on that. KBB is for amateurs. Use edmunds.com and assess average regardless of shape and give 30 percent on the extras. That's close enough. It's probably auction as no front line used at a dealer is over 5-6 years typically. This thing is 8 almost 9 years. Walk. This is about 3-5k too high.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:50 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
2007 Toyota Highlander Limited w 3rd Row

2007 Toyota Highlander AWD 3rd row 62k miles LOOK

Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
To answer your question about auctions. Some dealers only want low mileage cars on their lot so it's possible one of those dealers sent it to auction because of this but there is really no way to know the reason why. I bought a vehicle that was bought thru an auction by a dealer and it turned out to be a good vehicle.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 31,403 times
I agree with Caleb. It's quite an old car. Price is high especially after you consider paying the dealer padded fees and taxes. If you can get it around or below $12,500, it is could a good deal. There's probably other dealers with better pricing. check out Autotrader. There's no way to tell with auctions. The best way is to check the vehicle history with a service like Carfax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion