Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2015, 08:12 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,854,815 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who said her indi mechanic told her that they have to remove the front end of her '07 ES350 in order to replace the alternator. This seems rather strange. I am very curious as I have a '09 ES350 and wonder if that will be my fate some day. I do know that it seems the '07s have had more problems but they improved on some of the bugs through the '12 model year. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
You need to clarify what is meant by "front end". Alternator should be quite accessible from tire well, with tire and well cover removed.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Well, indeed, according to Lexus manual, they really iffed it up on repair:

. REMOVE COOL AIR INTAKE DUCT SEAL
4. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER LH
5. REMOVE ENGINE ROOM SIDE COVER RH
6. REMOVE V-BANK COVER SUB-ASSEMBLY
7. REMOVE FRONT FENDER APRON SEAL RH
8. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL OPENING EXTENSION PAD LH
9. REMOVE FRONT WHEEL OPENING EXTENSION PAD RH 10. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER LH
11. REMOVE ENGINE UNDER COVER RH
12. DRAIN ENGINE COOLANT
13. REMOVE AIR CLEANER CAP SUB-ASSEMBLY
14. REMOVE NO. 2 AIR CLEANER INLET
15. REMOVE NO. 1 AIR CLEANER INLET
16. REMOVE FRONT BUMPER ASSEMBLY
17. REMOVE FRONT BUMPER ENERGY ABSORBER
18. REMOVE MILLIMETER WAVE RADAR SENSOR ASSEMBLY (w/ Dynamic Radar Cruise Control System)
19. SEPARATE RADIATOR RESERVOIR TANK HOSE
20. DISCONNECT RADIATOR HOSE INLET
21. DISCONNECT RADIATOR HOSE OUTLET
22. DISCONNECT NO. 1 OIL COOLER INLET HOSE
23. DISCONNECT NO. 1 OIL COOLER OUTLET HOSE
24. REMOVE RADIATOR SUPPORT UPPER
25. REMOVE FAN SHROUD
26. REMOVE RADIATOR ASSEMBLY
27. REMOVE V-RIBBED BELT

Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM

But then I have seen some cars when repair manual told you to remove engine and transmission for fluid change - and we had it done without all that in about 30 minutes in street dead end. So it really depends on a willing mechanic and ingenuity. So far, that engine looks quite like my Wife's Rx300 one and I can do it through the tire well without all that labor.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks to ukrkoz for the answer. It seems like with such a common motor used on Toyota and Lexus products, it would be a common replacement. Reps to you !!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM

You welcome. Split anything a mech tells you in a half. They follow Alldata and I have 3 accounts with it. Sometimes they really complicate things.
I stand by what I said before many times - find a quality mobil mech off craigslist and have him do it for you. Or, a good word of the mouth one from friends.
Never forget, anything that has Lexus nameplate on it will cost you an arm and leg. That's how they do it. But here's another example for you. Wife's co-worker needed a ballast for HID replaced. She owns one of those Lexus SUV's She went to Lexus d-ship to the tune of $1400 for the job. Mentioned this to my wife, I referred gal to a buddy of mine who owns a shop - he charged her $150 plus part cost. She landed with $400 in repairs, he landed with a faithful customer.
Like I said... Be smart customer.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You welcome. Split anything a mech tells you in a half. They follow Alldata and I have 3 accounts with it. Sometimes they really complicate things.
I stand by what I said before many times - find a quality mobil mech off craigslist and have him do it for you. Or, a good word of the mouth one from friends.
Never forget, anything that has Lexus nameplate on it will cost you an arm and leg. That's how they do it. But here's another example for you. Wife's co-worker needed a ballast for HID replaced. She owns one of those Lexus SUV's She went to Lexus d-ship to the tune of $1400 for the job. Mentioned this to my wife, I referred gal to a buddy of mine who owns a shop - he charged her $150 plus part cost. She landed with $400 in repairs, he landed with a faithful customer.
Like I said... Be smart customer.
Yes, I am fortunate to have a indy mechanic which I am confident in his advice. I avoid the D-ship like a plague. Only took my Caddy to the dealer for a recall recently. Didn't wanting them to do any other work.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 AM

Sure. Except that indie mechs with formal shop tend to be quite expensive. Mobile mechs on the other hand are not. And you can find quite a jewel, with some diligence. We found one not so long ago, he charged only $150 to replace radiator on inlaw's work van. In my property. Found that water pump bearing is "getting there", so while he was there, replaced water pump too. Entire job to the tune of $700 everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion