Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 PM

793 posts, read 1,344,306 times

Advertisements

We're in the market for a used SUV. We have limited funds, but are concerned about quality and safety. So far, we're interested in two vehicles. We haven't actually seen either one yet (just photos, descriptions and talking with the owners.)

If everything is in order on both vehicles...Which would you choose?

1998 4 Runner w/ 162,000 miles or a 2001 4 Runner w/ 215,00 miles

Tell me why and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
I'm researching vehicles in the same ballpark, only I'm trying to choose between a minivan and a truck, for camping. I spoke with a mechanic in town the other day and posed the same basic question, and he mentioned that there can be mechanical issues if the car has been sitting a long time.

So, if the one with lower mileage is that way because it's been sitting without being driven for a long time, it could have more problems than one that has been driven regularly and has more miles.

I'm no mechanic, but, you may want to find out why the 98 only has 162,000 miles. If they have been driving it regularly, but just have a shorter commute, that would be better than it sitting in the driveway or even garage for a few years, according to the mechanic I spoke with.

Personally, if the 98 hasn't been sitting, I'd go with that one, because I drive my Toyotas until they fall apart. And I'd get more years out of the 98. And unless there's some difference you care about as far as the 2001 being bigger or having a better engine, etc., three years newer on a Toyota is nothing. I got 300,000 miles out of the last one, a 1989 Camry, and it was still running when I got rid of it. I've got 220,000 miles on the 1992 Corolla I have now, and it starts right up every time. But, the body is falling apart - a door handle here, the trunk latch there, windows no longer opening...

All things being equal, I'd buy the '98 with less miles, because you'll get more years out of it, and won't have to deal with the body parts falling off as soon :-)

But, as I say, I'm no mechanic. Just a life-long Toyota owner.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:05 AM

Thanks...NoMoreSnow. You've brought up good points.

I live in Maine. Concerning the 98 model with less miles, the owner told me that he's in Boston right now and that he'd come up to show us the vehicle. Hmmmm...Maybe it has been sitting for awhile.

The listing also states that he "has to sell" and he did sound quite eager on the phone. Is this a good thing for us, the buyers or is he desperate? Questions, questions.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:37 AM

19,066 posts, read 27,642,285 times
I'd buy neither. Too many miles. Yes, I am well aware of "it's a Toyota" tune and we have 3 right now and switched from Honda to Toyota completely.
It's too many miles. You are destined to have repairs fall into YOUR lap.
Any absolute need to have exactly 4Runner? Won't AWD Highlander do? Or even RAV 4? Less $$ better mpg and for city worrior absolutely fine AWD system.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:46 AM

4,217 posts, read 3,766,648 times
Id go with the 98. There is very little difference and the 98 has less mileage so it should last you longer. Miles don't really matter though if it has been taken care of so it really depends on the color, model, options, etc...as to which mean more to you.

A Highlander or RAV4? Really? I wouldn't drive one of those if you gave them to me. There is something about a 4Runner that doesn't compare to many other SUV's out there. Vehicles to me are much more than less cost and better mpg, its all about what they represent. I would love to get rid of my truck for an older 4Runner but my wife wont let me.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
It really depends on how well it has been taken care of. Unless he can give you receipts or proof that he has done regular maintenance, I would pass on both.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM

Things took a turn...We bought a used Toyota Sienna. We couldn't pass it up. 130,000 miles and almost $1,000 cheaper than the 4 Runners, and after searching all over the place, it was right in our own town!

Background: We currently have a Honda Odyssey. We bought her used 10 years ago. She brought us cross-country and she's been great, but alas...she's finally showing her age. We were thinking SUVs as our next purchase because we wanted to try something different, but were still torn because we like the extra seating that vans offer. When I saw the Sienna listing, we jumped....Maybe when my kids are out of the house, I'll actually switch over to an SUV.

By the way, I did test drive a few SUV's. In order of preference, simply on the way they "felt": Toyota 4 Runner, Jeep Laredo, Chevy Trailblazer.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:54 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,537,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Thanks...NoMoreSnow. You've brought up good points.

I live in Maine. Concerning the 98 model with less miles, the owner told me that he's in Boston right now and that he'd come up to show us the vehicle. Hmmmm...Maybe it has been sitting for awhile.

The listing also states that he "has to sell" and he did sound quite eager on the phone. Is this a good thing for us, the buyers or is he desperate? Questions, questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Things took a turn...We bought a used Toyota Sienna. We couldn't pass it up. 130,000 miles and almost $1,000 cheaper than the 4 Runners, and after searching all over the place, it was right in our own town!

Background: We currently have a Honda Odyssey. We bought her used 10 years ago. She brought us cross-country and she's been great, but alas...she's finally showing her age. We were thinking SUVs as our next purchase because we wanted to try something different, but were still torn because we like the extra seating that vans offer. When I saw the Sienna listing, we jumped....Maybe when my kids are out of the house, I'll actually switch over to an SUV.

By the way, I did test drive a few SUV's. In order of preference, simply on the way they "felt": Toyota 4 Runner, Jeep Laredo, Chevy Trailblazer.

Thanks for all the advice.
I was going to say that if he could drive it to you, at least it should have been driveable and registered, etc. In CA, you have to have cars pass a smog test, and I would have advised you to make sure the owner had it smogged, as that might have been why he was so eager to off-load it. In CA, anyway, a car has to pass a smog test when it changes hands.

Congrats on finding a nice Sienna, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion