Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:14 PM

32 posts, read 50,900 times

Advertisements

I got this car recently and I learned that this car does not do well in the snow. My mechanic told me that even if I get snow tires, it would not be much help. Also, if this car is so bad, why is there even a snow option? Very confused... Is my mechanic just exaggerating?

Also, anyone have any suggestions on what used car is good for snow? I am thinking about moving soon and I will be living by myself so I am worried about whether I need a different car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:36 PM

806 posts, read 958,024 times
I used to own one also..... it was a deathtrap even in rain.

Had a friend who owned one too and he would put bricks in the trunk for snow and says it helps.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:46 PM

The rain too? Oh man...

Thanks for the info. I might really have to get another car or hibernate.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:56 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
A friend of ours has one and she can't drive it in even light snow because the car turns into a sled. Even with snows, it's only a marginal improvement to the handling of the GS. She keeps the car because it drives to and from the train station, preserving a new car from the worst of parking lots. She puts big bags of cat litter or sand in the trunk, like you would do with a pickup, and runs snows.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Thanks for tips about the putting heavy things in the trunk. I was thinking about getting a cat so maybe I will buy the cat litter in advance.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
The issue is likely that the GS was mechanically similar to a Toyota Supra. Straight-six motor and rear wheel drive. Great for dry-weather handling but not a good combination for bad weather.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Definitely. Stock up on cat litter, place it in a plastic bag so that you don't get rips or absorbed moisture and position it in the trunk. With snows, that should do the trick for light snow handling.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-24-2015, 04:55 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
It's on you buying a RWD car to drive around in snow. You can only blame yourself. FYI any RWD car in the snow is dangerous.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have driven on snow and ice covered roads FWD, RWD and AWD cars in New England for more then 50 years. All of them can be driven in the snow. the first thing is to get a good set of snow tires for all four wheels. Studded tires are generally not needed unless your area is subject to frequent ice storms.

There is not much you can do to improve handling on FWD and AWD cars other then have good tires.

RWD cars can be improved by weighting the rear of the car, running lower tire pressures in the rear and having good snow tires.

The most important thing you can do no matter the kind of drive system is to find an instructor willing and able to show you how to drive in snow or find an instructional video. Then after the first snow but before they get around to plowing it is to find an empty parking lot, preferable without any light posts or barriers, and go out and drive into and out of heavy braking, quick turns, left and right spins and recovery from all of the odd attitudes the car can assume.

The best snow cars we have owned and still do are AWD Subaru Wagons. The next best was an RWD Volkswagen bug with a modified rear suspension. The next were the RWD Buick Station Wagons. They were great sliders but very easy to control. The worst was an old RWD Chevy pickup truck. That thing had very little rear traction but was still drivable.

So to summarize: Get good snow tires (I prefer Nokian brand). Then get some instruction and practice a lot before you venture out in traffic. The most important is controlled braking followed by avoidance maneuvers and then cornering. Don't forget to practice getting started in deep snow. Snow driving is tricky but not all that difficult. Which end of the car is being driven is far less important then learning how to drive what car you have.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to buy another car as I am not a good driver to start with so it is making me extra nervous.

himain: I don't recall any blaming. I was trying to confirm what I have heard and was trying to see how I can remedy the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion