Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:12 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,468,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't like any ofo the other Toyota vehicles, but I don't want to buy anything other than a Toyota, so I don't mind paying for a more expensive trim of Corolla...just not sure that I really need the extra options. At this point, I'm leaning towards the LE.
Are you familiar with the Corolla LE 'Eco' model? It's just an LE with some minor engine and styling tweaks that gets better fuel economy AND has slightly more power than the other Corolla models. It stickers for $400 more than the LE. Fuel economy increases from 28/36 to 30/42 (with standard 15" steel wheels) or 30/40 with the optional 16" alloy wheels. That's an increase of 2mpg city and 4-6mpg highway.

The primary differences between the LE and LE Eco are the engine and aerodynamics. The Eco uses Toyota's 'Valvematic' technology to make 140hp (vs. 132hp in other Corollas). It also has underbody aero panels (to reduce drag) and a rear spoiler, also for aerodynamic efficiency. The standard LE has 16" steel wheels while the Eco has smaller 15" steel wheels with 16" alloys optional.

The interesting thing is that the Eco improves fuel economy AND acceleration is also improved. In addition to the 2mpg city and 4-6mpg highway mileage increase, the car accelerates from 0-60 almost a full second quicker than other Corolla models. I can't figure out why Toyota doesn't make this engine standard on other Corollas, at least on the higher trim levels.

The LE Eco has a base sticker price of $20,200. For $1,965 more, you can add the 'Premium Package' which includes-
Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App
16" Machined Alloy Wheels
Bumper-integrated LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
Power moonroof
Chrome lower window trim
Roof mounted antenna
CVT 'Eco' mode (I'm not sure what this is, to be honest)

Other than the $400 base price increase, the only other price difference compared to the LE is the cost and content of the Premium Package. On the LE, you can choose the Premium Package with or without the Power Moonroof ($1,215 or $1,655, respectively). The LE Eco only has the Premium Package with the Moonroof and it costs $1,965 but adds the chrome lower window trim and CVT Eco Mode.

Just wanted to toss this one out there in case you hadn't seen/heard about it. Based on the tests/reviews I've seen with the Eco engine, it is more of an upgrade over the standard 1.8L than the power figures would indicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,638,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
Are you familiar with the Corolla LE 'Eco' model? It's just an LE with some minor engine and styling tweaks that gets better fuel economy AND has slightly more power than the other Corolla models. It stickers for $400 more than the LE. Fuel economy increases from 28/36 to 30/42 (with standard 15" steel wheels) or 30/40 with the optional 16" alloy wheels. That's an increase of 2mpg city and 4-6mpg highway.

The primary differences between the LE and LE Eco are the engine and aerodynamics. The Eco uses Toyota's 'Valvematic' technology to make 140hp (vs. 132hp in other Corollas). It also has underbody aero panels (to reduce drag) and a rear spoiler, also for aerodynamic efficiency. The standard LE has 16" steel wheels while the Eco has smaller 15" steel wheels with 16" alloys optional.

The interesting thing is that the Eco improves fuel economy AND acceleration is also improved. In addition to the 2mpg city and 4-6mpg highway mileage increase, the car accelerates from 0-60 almost a full second quicker than other Corolla models. I can't figure out why Toyota doesn't make this engine standard on other Corollas, at least on the higher trim levels.

The LE Eco has a base sticker price of $20,200. For $1,965 more, you can add the 'Premium Package' which includes-
Entune Audio Plus with Connected Navigation App
16" Machined Alloy Wheels
Bumper-integrated LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
Power moonroof
Chrome lower window trim
Roof mounted antenna
CVT 'Eco' mode (I'm not sure what this is, to be honest)

Other than the $400 base price increase, the only other price difference compared to the LE is the cost and content of the Premium Package. On the LE, you can choose the Premium Package with or without the Power Moonroof ($1,215 or $1,655, respectively). The LE Eco only has the Premium Package with the Moonroof and it costs $1,965 but adds the chrome lower window trim and CVT Eco Mode.

Just wanted to toss this one out there in case you hadn't seen/heard about it. Based on the tests/reviews I've seen with the Eco engine, it is more of an upgrade over the standard 1.8L than the power figures would indicate.
Nope, I hadn't looked into that one. Thanks for the info!

Old 09-24-2016, 08:58 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
I don't know much about the Corolla, really. But you'll rarely be disappointed with extra features, even if you don't use them all the time. The navigation system is a plus in any car (IMO), but don't expect it to be as fast as Google navigation or that sort of thing. It's very convenient to have in the car with live traffic. I think the Entune w/Navigation is kind of like the Lexus Enform system with Navigation, which in my experience is not too bad, and it carries what I consider a reasonable price tag in the Toyota products. All of the OEM systems have something to be desired, but Toyota's is not bad.

So I guess I'm saying, get the extras even if you have to wait a little while (if you can)

Old 09-26-2016, 05:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,709,946 times
I currently have a Corolla S as a loaner, and personally there's no way id pay money for this car. Just as I expected, the transmission is horrible. "Rubber band" is the best way I can describe it, stomp on the peddle and the rpm shoots up but the car just doesn't seem to respond. They have it stepped to try to mimic a regular automatic, but it's not very convincing. The ride is terrible as well, jittery and very noisy.

The only complements I can give this thing is the seats are comfortable and I like the LED headlights. If I were dead set on a Toyota I'd buy a one year old Camry before I'd buy a new Corolla.
Attached Thumbnails
Which 2017 Corolla should I choose??-20160926_173247.jpg  

Old 10-07-2016, 12:25 PM

17,657 posts, read 17,775,799 times
Get the Corolla iM. It use to be the Scion iM. It has the Corolla engine and transmission but with the utility of the 4 door hatchback (like the Toyota Matrix) and the European inspired suspension/handling with four wheel independent suspension instead of rear torsion beam suspension. The iM is based upon the Toyota Auris sold in Europe and other lands. While it isn't the corner carver we expect from European based hatchbacks, it is better than the Corolla sedan. How much better remains to be seen when someone does a head to head comparison road test. I'll find the Motorweek test of the Scion iM and post it here later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vo0lzOWs0

The iM shares the same platform as the Scion tC sport coupe and that does include the suspension, but not the tC engine which was the Camry base four cylinder. The iA is the platform of the Mazda2 so that means plenty of sporty handling. It's now called the Toyota Yaris iA.

Last edited by victimofGM; 10-07-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks everyone, I decided on the LE and I like it so far!

Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 AM

672 posts, read 701,818 times
Did you get it with or without navigation?

Old 10-09-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Did you get it with or without navigation?
Yes, it has the scout gps link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion