Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 AM

170 posts, read 196,057 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Sienna van with 155k miles on it.

It has original struts and shocks. I have no idea whether this van has struts or shocks, that is how much I know about these parts. The van runs fine except when going on imperfections on the road. It is a bit noisy and this makes sense given the age of the van. On smooth roads, it runs smoothly.

Is there a need to do anything about these struts/shocks or continue using the van until an obvious problem presents itself and then I can decide whether to repair this van or sell it for a pittance?

Also, the timing belt is original, at 155k! The mechanic recommended replacing it at 90k but I chose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I would inspect the underside for any obvious defects or damage, just to be on the safe side. But if it is running and driving fine, I would just let thing go. When suspension stuff starts getting bad, you will definitely notice it.

My van was used in a pretty heavy-duty business capacity. The shock are TOTALLY gone.....when I hit a bump, the shock are basically worthless in dampening the rocking motion. If fact, I would not be surprised if the shocks on my van are blown. Funny thing is, my van steers and corners quite well.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seenu View Post
I have a 2001 Sienna van with 155k miles on it.

It has original struts and shocks. I have no idea whether this van has struts or shocks, that is how much I know about these parts. The van runs fine except when going on imperfections on the road. It is a bit noisy and this makes sense given the age of the van. On smooth roads, it runs smoothly.

Is there a need to do anything about these struts/shocks or continue using the van until an obvious problem presents itself and then I can decide whether to repair this van or sell it for a pittance?

Also, the timing belt is original, at 155k! The mechanic recommended replacing it at 90k but I chose not to.
You are really pushing your luck with that timing belt and I suppose you have never replaced your drive belts either. How about your radiator hoses? You can look just inboard of your tires and see if you have just shocks or struts. easy to tell. Sounds like your vehicle needs a lot maintenance. Are you waiting for it to die while on the road?

Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
there should be vibration in your steering wheel when your shocks are not good anymore

Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
there should be vibration in your steering wheel when your shocks are not good anymore
There is no vibration in the steering wheel. And I think I have struts on my van, not shocks.

Last edited by seenu; 12-07-2017 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I would inspect the underside for any obvious defects or damage, just to be on the safe side. But if it is running and driving fine, I would just let thing go. When suspension stuff starts getting bad, you will definitely notice it.
It does run and drive well, otherwise I would have sold it. I doubt that if I will get anything if I traded it in.

I am, at this point, thinking about driving it through the nasty Cleveland winters (until end of March) and then see what I need to do about it.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You are really pushing your luck with that timing belt and I suppose you have never replaced your drive belts either. How about your radiator hoses? You can look just inboard of your tires and see if you have just shocks or struts. easy to tell. Sounds like your vehicle needs a lot maintenance. Are you waiting for it to die while on the road?
In my opinion, the timing belt will probably be fine for 1 to 2 more years or even more. I don't think the timing belt needs replacement at 90k miles as the mechanic suggested. Thats my opinion and so far I appear to be correct.

Its not that I don't want to maintain it well, its getting old, I won't get any money if I sell it and I don't want to put money in a van that may not last for a long time.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
In my opinion, the timing belt will probably be fine for 1 to 2 more years or even more. I don't think the timing belt needs replacement at 90k miles as the mechanic suggested. Thats my opinion and so far I appear to be correct.

Its not that I don't want to maintain it well, its getting old, I won't get any money if I sell it and I don't want to put money in a van that may not last for a long time.
Your mechanic is correct. Toyota recomends replacing the belt at 90k miles or 108 months.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Your mechanic is correct. Toyota recommends replacing the belt at 90k miles or 108 months.
I hear you, the auto parts industry needs to make money too.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
I hear you, the auto parts industry needs to make money too.

Don't be so skeptical, seenu! Most regular cars require timing belt and other belts replaced below 70,000 miles. 90k miles is generous for timing belt service.

And if you think your van handles 'fine' now, with struts shot to $hit, imagine how it will handle with replacements plus alignment! Until then, if I'm out on the road and I see a certain older Sienna van bouncing up and down going down the street, I'll be sure to keep my distance from you. Just wait till you have to make an evasive maneuver or sudden turn at moderate speeds over a rough or uneven patch: You'll WISH you had taken some of the advice in this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion