Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 11:09 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a place where I can find a USED and working power steering solenoid for my 1991 Lexus LS400?

Dealer does not sell it alone and wants $800 for the part its attached to!

This is a cylinder looking thing with wires that screws into the steering rack (see photo below of someone elses they had posted).

My steering is hard to turn and I was told this was likely the culprit. I cleaned the screens in it and did the "power test" its supposed to click when powered up (switch turned on), but it dont.

I found one on ebay from a parts car, but the seller is dragging his feet. I called initially over 2 weeks ago and he said he would test and put it on as a BIN for $40.00 ... never did do it. I called and he said he forgot but would check (that was on Tuesday)... never did. Now not responding to emails. I feel like I am begging now and dont like that. Found another, but when asked if it worked, never got a reply from that seller.

Called ALL local salvage lots and what FEW even have these cars, they have already sold the entire steering rack with that on there! Googled and cant find anything either.

Re-man rack (with the solenoid) is around $300-$400 and then probably another $300 to install and I cant afford that now.

Any help from anyone knowing where I can buy this solenoid only (working condition) for a reasonable price, please let me know.

1990-1994 LS400s should all have the same solenoid.... maybe even the 1995-97s?

Here the crazy thing is (from someone elses car)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,453 times
Can honestly say I'd find a non rusted International Scout in the local yard before I'd find any Lexus of any model from any year. Having brought that sad news....perhaps the Lexus forum could assist. These badge (or model) specific forums have been of outstanding assistance to me in keeping my elderly Chryslers alive. Try this...

Lexus Owners Club (USA & Canada) (Powered by Invision Power Board)

But if you ever need a part for an Explorer or a Neon, I'm your man. Those buggers are the Whack-A-Moles of the local yard. Crush six Monday, by Friday there's six more. Good luck to you!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks. Been there... I have actually been a member there since 2003 when I bought my last LS400. All of the other Lexus sites too. Thought I would try here as a last resort.

I actually have a post there about this. Seems like most agree that part alone is hard to find. Guess I will "beg" that guy with the one on ebay again. How many times do you have to call someone to remind them to check a part for you when its a business selling parts?

Thanks... hopefully something will work out... may have to junk this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post

Old 11-28-2009, 01:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Go on the site listed below. They will put out a request to lots of junkyards all over the USA. You will have to have it shpped to you, but it will still be way cheaper than the dealer. I have used them multiple times, and the experience was always positive. Just enter what you need, and multpile junkyards will call and/or email you back.

Used Auto Parts || Used Car Parts || Junk Yard Dog®

Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Go on the site listed below. They will put out a request to lots of junkyards all over the USA. You will have to have it shpped to you, but it will still be way cheaper than the dealer. I have used them multiple times, and the experience was always positive. Just enter what you need, and multpile junkyards will call and/or email you back.

Used Auto Parts || Used Car Parts || Junk Yard Dog®
I've never used that site, but it looks kinda similar to car-part.com which I've used for years to track down hard to find parts. They also have inventory for each yard listed, so it's pretty easy to narrow down what place is gonna have what part.

If it's something unlisted (like the P/S solenoid will be) I just find a local place that has an identical car, take a drive down there and ask for that piece specifically. Works every time!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 21,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Can anyone recommend a place where I can find a USED and working power steering solenoid for my 1991 Lexus LS400?

Dealer does not sell it alone and wants $800 for the part its attached to!

This is a cylinder looking thing with wires that screws into the
steering rack
(see photo below of someone elses they had posted).

My steering is hard to turn and I was told this was likely the culprit. I cleaned the screens in it and did the "power test" its supposed to click when powered up (switch turned on), but it dont.

I found one on ebay from a parts car, but the seller is dragging his feet. I called initially over 2 weeks ago and he said he would test and put it on as a BIN for $40.00 ... never did do it. I called and he said he forgot but would check (that was on Tuesday)... never did. Now not responding to emails. I feel like I am begging now and dont like that. Found another, but when asked if it worked, never got a reply from that seller.

Called ALL local salvage lots and what FEW even have these cars, they have already sold the entire steering rack with that on there! Googled and cant find anything either.

Re-man rack (with the solenoid) is around $300-$400 and then probably another $300 to install and I cant afford that now.

Any help from anyone knowing where I can buy this solenoid only (working condition) for a reasonable price, please let me know.

1990-1994 LS400s should all have the same solenoid.... maybe even the 1995-97s?

Here the crazy thing is (from someone elses car)...
if you needed one i can tell you where you can find a good one so you can used it already on your car can you tell me what type fo you need or what size?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Thanks, but its been replaced and the car was sold 15 months ago. Owner still loving it. Thanks though.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 14,097 times
It's 2013!! HELP...FIND AN EVO SOLENOID !!! I'm working on my brothers 92 Lexus SC300 solenoid filter element has a torn screen. Gmail me [EMAIL=[EMAIL="joerand1kid@gmail.com"]joerand1kid@gmail.com[/EMAIL]]

Last edited by joerand1; 03-28-2013 at 09:40 AM.. Reason: email correction

Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM

I found mine on ebay, pretty cheap too. It worked fine. My car was sold in January of 2010, hopefully still working well for the lady that purchased it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion