Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:49 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,429,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I stand by my statement.
LOL.. Fine, but it's not going to happen. (Anytime soon).

We will be flooded with Chinese cars in the very near future. Wanna trade the limo for a Chinese knock off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 03:00 AM

24,514 posts, read 33,347,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
LOL.. Fine, but it's not going to happen. (Anytime soon).

We will be flooded with Chinese cars in the very near future. Wanna trade the limo for a Chinese knock off?
That's all we need... even more oddball cars!

I'm not trading my limo for anything! In fact, I just bought some landau bars for it. My limo probably has more steel than 5 Chinese cars.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:18 AM

404 posts, read 1,558,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, gogogo... back to Korea!
(Kia, too.)
not before i trade in my Elantra for a Genesis Coupe!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Chrysler just annonced a safety recall .

Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,483,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
The new Malibu is very stylish, the Buick LaCrosse is nice too.

I have always had a personal preference for Chrysler myself. If I had the money I would go out and buy a new Dodge Challenger SRT-8. It would be worth the $46k to have that car
I agree the exterior of the new Malibu is a step forward for GM. However, the interior is cheap and confused. Walk up to a new Malibu and test the firmness of the door panels and trim. There is no firmness in the steel, it's very tin can feeling. The interior is not much better, I predict rattles in 2-3 years.
A Malibu from 5 years ago seemed more durable, but lacked in personality/styling. Seems Chevy keeps trading off one thing for another. Same goes for the new Chevy trucks, flimsy metal and just a very chopped look. The 2002 Silverado was one strong good looking truck, nowadays not so much.
Not saying they make all junk, but they have a long way to go.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:56 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I agree the exterior of the new Malibu is a step forward for GM. However, the interior is cheap and confused. Walk up to a new Malibu and test the firmness of the door panels and trim. There is no firmness in the steel, it's very tin can feeling. The interior is not much better, I predict rattles in 2-3 years.
A Malibu from 5 years ago seemed more durable, but lacked in personality/styling. Seems Chevy keeps trading off one thing for another. Same goes for the new Chevy trucks, flimsy metal and just a very chopped look. The 2002 Silverado was one strong good looking truck, nowadays not so much.
Not saying they make all junk, but they have a long way to go.
I have not had the chance to sit in or drive an 09 Malibu, but the redesign is so different and original its catching everybody's eye, it has a decent 169 hp 4 cylinder as well as a V6 available too with 252 HP

The complete overhaul of the Malibu from 2007 to 2008 could compare to the Nissan Altima when it received a complate overhaul for the 2002 model year. Both cars are now equal in style as well as performance

The Malibu alone won't turn around GM the way the Altima did for Nissan in 2002 but it is definitely helping. I see more and more Malibus everyday as well as Ford Fusions.

My parents rented a fusion back in 2006 and we loved it, very nice car.

GM and Ford both now have cars that can compete with the Accord, Altima, and Camry, and the compete very well imo. I personally don't care for Accords or Camries. I've never cared for Hondas or Toyotas in general, never found them appealing with the exception of the Camry SE that has a V6, and perhaps the new 2 door Civic Si with the VTec motor, otherwise of the japanese brands I've always liked Nissan, I own a 2003 Altima with 73k miles

My favorite American brand has always been Chrysler, and the direction they have headed has disappointed me. If they could come up with a stylish mid-size sedan like Ford and GM had then perhaps they would gain market share as well. Perhaps they can bring back the Le Baron?

Somebody call Lee Iacocca

Old 02-27-2010, 02:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,585,751 times
Before anyone praises Iacocca, I believed him in 1987 and decided to give Chrysler a go. I bought a new 1987 Dodge Daytona and what a piece junk. In the 2 1/2 years I owned it, I had to visit the dealership at least every 2 months for soemthing new going out. Will never buy a Chrysler product again.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:49 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Before anyone praises Iacocca, I believed him in 1987 and decided to give Chrysler a go. I bought a new 1987 Dodge Daytona and what a piece junk. In the 2 1/2 years I owned it, I had to visit the dealership at least every 2 months for soemthing new going out. Will never buy a Chrysler product again.
chrysler's specialty at the time was K-cars during lee iacoccas tenure that was their specialty, small affordable cars

i was not alive for long in the 80s but if my research is correct k-cars sold like hot cakes

like i said, when i was a kid my parents owned an 82 lebaron, and an 88 aries, both were extremely reliable

Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
chrysler's specialty at the time was K-cars during lee iacoccas tenure that was their specialty, small affordable cars

i was not alive for long in the 80s but if my research is correct k-cars sold like hot cakes

like i said, when i was a kid my parents owned an 82 lebaron, and an 88 aries, both were extremely reliable
Don't forget the minivans. I used to think they were junk until I got an 1988 Plymouth Grand Voyager. Changed my view of Chrysler completely. Now I'm driving my 4th minivan.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:50 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,043,298 times
My Dad had a string of Chryslers, starting with a LeBaron and thru 2 minivans.

They were all fairly nice when new, junk after a couple of years.

Tranny problems were the worst, but general degradation of the interior, squeaks and rattles, and low resale value were the things that I could not abide.

At work we have had a ton of Dodge trucks, 20 years ago the drive trains were indestructible, but the leaks, squeaks and rattles drove me nuts. Lately all of the above have been problems, plus failed heads.

I would not touch a Chrysler product, but that is just my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion